Wanting to Adopt a Deaf Infant

chirowife03

Reaction score
Hello world-

My husband and I are wanting to adopt a domestic infant who is deaf or hoh. If anyone knows of anyone who is pg and not wanting to keep their child or if you know of a deaf child who needs to be adopted......please contact me.

I think that I will adopt more in the future. We are unable to have children.

Thanks

Penni

This is the full text of a brochure on the subject of foster parenting deaf children, published by the Los Angeles County Department of Children and Family Services.

Foster Care​

"To him in whom love dwells, the whole world is but one family" – Buddha

Even the best of us might have trouble making our house a home to the whole world, but how about one child?

Right now there are hundreds of children in Los Angeles County’s foster care system who require temporary, out-of-home care because of parental neglect, abuse or exploitation. Some stay in foster care for weeks, some for years. They are of all ages and varying needs. They all have hopes and dreams. Could you show a world of love to one of these children by making him or her "family"? You are very much needed. Here’s how you begin…

What is Foster Care?

Foster parents provide a supportive and stable environment for children who can not live with their birth parents until family problems are resolved. In most cases, the foster parents work with social services staff to reunite the child with birth parents. Foster parents often provide care to many different children.

Special Needs

Deaf children feel more comfortable in foster homes where sign language is used to communicate. There is a great need for foster caregivers who have signing skills. You can make a difference.

How Do I Become a Foster Parent?

A license is required to operate a foster home. The process requires a licensing worker to visit your home and meet with you and other family members. Minimum personal, safety and space requirements are mandated by law. Foster parents work with social services staff to determine the type of child best suited for their home.

The following are common concerns and questions:

Q: Can I afford to do this?
A: Foster parents receive a monthly reimbursement to feed, clothe and meet the material needs of the children placed in their care.

Q: What if the child gets sick?
A: Medical and dental coverage are provided through the Medi-Cal program.

Q: Do I have to be married?
A: No! Foster parents can be married or single.

Q: What about gender?
A: Foster parents can be male or female.

Q: Can I still work?
A: Yes! For working parents, appropriate child care arrangements must be made.

Q: Are there age limits?
A: Age requirements are flexible as long as your health, energy and desire are appropriate. (Retired foster parents are also needed).

For more information about
becoming a foster parent, call:
1-888-811-1121 VOICE
1-213-351-2745 TTY

i like to have adopt child but i just think about i wanted to have my own children than adopt children because im using birth control pills everyday to protect pregnant.

if my boyfriend wanted adopt? if he says yes or no but he wanted own of my children i would agree with him but his twin brother have baby daughter but i wanted to have children like his siblings did.

but no matter of child race in countries same parents like to have adopt any race children whatever! i watch baby story about parents who adopt china baby,korea,japan,russia,etc but im sure parents would have deal with adoption agency for get children from countries if says yes they get it if says no! they wait for months.

you know that actress Angelina who adopt first son they later second adopt daughter but the actress wanted Brad Pitt be their dad of adopt child but its would be true! what you think?

WOW.....that would be awesome if you did end up adopting a dhh kid. They are ALWAYS looking for placements for special needskids, as special needs kids are notoriously hard to place and adopt.

that's kidna like me except when i'm older i want to adopt a child who is hoh or deaf and another child who has some other disability since i know how to work with all diffrenet kinds.

It's great that you are doing this. you'll really be making a diffrenece in someones life. :thumb: :applause:

Levonian's posting about Foster Care
:gpost: :gpost: I was a foster mother of my youngest daughter since she was three weeks old. Finally adopted her last year age 4. My partner and I applied for FostAdopt- meaning we become foster parents until a child become adoptable. We also applied for Foster Care for emergency only (temporary placement) until a place is found for the child(ren).

deafdyke said:
WOW.....that would be awesome if you did end up adopting a dhh kid. They are ALWAYS looking for placements for special needskids, as special needs kids are notoriously hard to place and adopt.
Yes, child(ren) with special needs .. very hard to find someone to take care of them. I dont know if that apply to all states but I know here in NJ- the foster person has to stay home to take care of the child(ren) with special needs (BUT can work outside of the home to earn little extra money up to 10 hours per week)

That is what we are going to do.. the foster/adopt i think due to funds being limited. My husband being in school and all.

Good for you. Is is hard to find infants??

Penni

chirowife03 said:
Is is hard to find infants??

This is just speculation on my part, but it would seem to me that it would be very difficult to locate and adopt a deaf infant, for the simple reason that deafness does not usually reveal itself in infancy.

chirowife03 said:
That is what we are going to do.. the foster/adopt i think due to funds being limited. My husband being in school and all.

Good for you. Is is hard to find infants??

Penni
No it is not hard to find infants.. you can ask for a specific age.
Levonian's right.. about finding a deaf infant is hard..

Levonian said:
This is just speculation on my part, but it would seem to me that it would be very difficult to locate and adopt a deaf infant, for the simple reason that deafness does not usually reveal itself in infancy.
Yes, it is hard. We tried for several years to find an adoptable deaf child, infant thru age 4 years. None available in our state.

Jamie Berke was a pretty good resource on adopting deaf babies however she got too narrowminded on many other things that tarnished her reputation as an adoption resource.

Richard

Nesmuth said:
Jamie Berke was a pretty good resource on adopting deaf babies however she got too narrowminded on many other things that tarnished her reputation as an adoption resource.

Richard

Eh??? (I know Jamie Berke in Real Life, by the way.)

That is so wonderful that you and your husband want to give a home to a deaf child. We are in the process of adopting our Foster Son, he is 8 years old.

The Guidance Counselor at our state school for the deaf has adopted a baby from Russia. She had said there are a lot of deaf babies in Russia because there are no services in Russia for deaf children, and it makes it hard for the parent's who have no money or no medical. If you want me to get the website for you, I can ask her for you.

Best of luck and God Bless.

i too would like to adopt one.. heh.

seen some are already 6 yrs or older...

infants are hard.....:cry:

As I know of, that Minnesota State Law requires all babies to be tested right after birth to determine if they are deaf or not. I am not sure how it work with adoption process.

wow interesting thread here.

Accord German law who worry about people's health before permit them to adopt or foster babies to children.. :ugh: I would call it as Dumb Law... :ugh:

A couple, we know very well are unable to have their own children so they decide to foster the children. They have a mortage-free house and have good jobs, beautiful cars... Everything what you name... They said that they have everything but they feel something miss is baby... They want children. Unfortunlately, the law is not interesting about their good background but Health is DEAF.... :ugh: It got them madder when I told them last year that American Deafies are allow to adopt any children in America.

Unfair situation.

Anyway, I took questions from Levioan's post to answer what I know about German law for hearing parents with good heath.

The following are common concerns and questions:

Q: Can I afford to do this?
A: Foster parents receive 500 Euro monthly to take care of foster child.

Q: What if the child gets sick?
A: Foster, Adopt, biological and illegitimate child receive the same rights from Public Health Insurance policy.

Q: Do I have to be married?
A: For normal people like us Yes! but... but... but... we have single or living together film stars who are able adopt the children because they are rich... *sigh* They are top of waiting list for apply for an adoption

Q: What about gender?
A: Foster parents could be couple, not single parent. For rich people are different story... :roll:

Q: Can I still work?
A: Yes! For working parents, appropriate child care arrangements must be made.

Q: Are there age limits?
A: Age requirements should be before 40 years old and health... except disabilities...

racheleggert said:
As I know of, that Minnesota State Law requires all babies to be tested right after birth to determine if they are deaf or not. I am not sure how it work with adoption process.
all babies aren't required to have a test.. its the parents choice.. because 1 test cost a hefty price more than $500

Back