Vick to serve 10-12 months in prison

Then Falcons gonna release Vick before June 1st of '08 to make more room in Salary Cap space. Which could lands Vick else where only when NFL welcome him back in the future.

He wasn't first sport player to defend Vick's action. C. Portis (Redskins RB) and his buddy C. Samuels (Redskins Tackle) shared the same sentiment.

I m not surprised if dogfighting is common practice among sports players as they think they are god and it s in their nature to be competitive.

Hunting is not illegal. Dog fighting is. Period.

So does killing a abuser husband too.

The post I was referringto compared hunting to dog fighting, not to abusive husbands.

And, if the husband was an abuser, it is possible that the wife was acting in self defense. I don't think Michael Vick killed the dogs because the dogs were abusing him. If I am not mistaken, they were killed because they lost a fight. Now if the wife had of killed her husband because he lost a fight, you might have a comaprison.

Falcons want $22 million back from Vick NOW!

Falcons want $22 million back from Vick :giggle:
QB must stay on team's roster until issue settled

The Falcons will try to recoup $22 million already paid to suspended quarterback Michael Vick, a person with knowledge of the team's plans told the Journal-Constitution on Saturday.

Vick was suspended indefinitely by the NFL on Friday after he pleaded guilty to federal dogfighting charges in Virginia. That cleared the way for the Falcons to pursue money paid to Vick in signing bonus money.

Vick has received roughly $40 million in guaranteed bonuses — and even more in base salary — but teams are only allowed to try to recoup money paid in signing bonuses, per the collective bargaining agreement with the players' union.

To collect the money, Vick must remain on the Falcons' roster. Therefore the team will not release Vick until the matter is resolved, the person familiar with the situation said.

The Falcons are expected to cut ties with Vick, once their most popular player, once the signing bonus matter is finalized.

If Atlanta receives payment from Vick, the money would be applied to the salary cap of the upcoming season. For example, should Atlanta receive all of the $22 million it seeks before the 2008 NFL calendar year, it would be credited toward the 2008 salary cap.

That would provide a huge windfall of cap space for the Falcons to use in pursuing free agent players.

As for this season, the Falcons will not have to pay Vick his $6 million base salary. However, he will count roughly $8.5 million against their salary cap. Though Vick will remain on the roster, he will be placed on a suspended list, which will allow the Falcons to add a player in Vick's place.

This could be the latest financial hit for Vick. On Friday, Nike official severed its ties with the quarterback, saying in a statement, "We consider any cruelty to animals inhumane, abhorrent and unacceptable."

The shoe giant earlier had suspended Vick's endorsement contract.

AJC Sports News Story

--------------------------------------------------
con Vick gonna tell Mr Long, so sorry,
I cannot pay the US $ 22 million dollars I owe you,
cause my dog ate it. :laugh2:

Why do celebs always get overpaid and some sort of immunity from law?
Not this time, no way con Vick!

Dogfighting's cost: Salary, deals lost top $120 million.

Vick's wasted fortune of historic proportions. Falcons quarterback Michael Vick's guilty plea on federal dogfighting charges could wind up costing him well over $100 million.

Vick will lose $71 million in salary over the next seven years if the Falcons eventually terminate his contract, which legal experts say the team has the right to do.

He also figures to lose as much as $50 million in endorsement income over the next decade, according to an estimate by the University of Oregon's Warsaw Sports Marketing Center.

And the Falcons will try to recoup $22 million in bonuses already paid to Vick, a person with knowledge of the team's plans said Saturday.

Then add in Vick's legal fees — which will run well into the hundreds of thousands of dollars if not higher, legal experts say — and a possible fine of up to $250,000.

Paul Swangard, the Oregon sports marketing center's managing director, said he can think of no other athlete who has hurt himself financially as much as Vick has.

"He has created a new [height] of lost opportunity," Swangard said. "There's an inherent sadness in seeing someone with so much potential wave it all goodbye with poor decisions."

The NFL superstar's attorneys on Friday filed a plea agreement with prosecutors stemming from his indictment last month. Vick is scheduled to formally enter his plea at 10:30 a.m. Monday in U.S. District Court in Richmond. He will be sentenced later.

Also Friday, the NFL suspended Vick without pay indefinitely.

The Falcons signed Vick, a quarterback with a penchant for the spectacular, to a 10-year, $130 million contract in December 2004, one day after he was selected to the Pro Bowl for the second time. A month later, he led the team to the NFC championship game. Endorsement offers poured in.

"A Falcon for life," team owner Arthur Blank called Vick upon signing him to the largest contract in league history.

According to the NFL Players Association, that contract calls for Vick to receive a salary of $6 million this season, followed by $7.5 million in 2008, $9 million in 2009, $10.5 million in 2010, $12 million in 2011, $12.5 million in 2012 and $13.5 million in 2013, plus incentive bonuses.

Now, all of that money could be gone.

The only part of Vick's contract that might matter now is the clause that allows the Falcons to terminate it if he "has engaged in personal conduct reasonably judged by club to adversely affect or reflect on club."

Michael McCann, a Mississippi College School of Law professor who often writes on sports legal issues, said the Falcons clearly can terminate the contract, although legal and salary-cap tactics will drive the timing of such action. For example, the Falcons probably would have to keep Vick under contract — albeit suspended without pay — until resolving the issue of signing bonus repayments.

"I think they're going to argue the signing bonus reflects an understanding Vick would play for the totality of the contract, and clearly he's not able to satisfy that," McCann said. "They're not going to get all of it back, but I think they have a pretty compelling argument to get some of it back."

How much could be debated, because of the creative way in which the Falcons structured Vick's bonuses for salary-cap management purposes.

The Falcons have declined to say how they'll deal with Vick's contract, beyond Blank's comment to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution on Aug. 17 that the team will "move very decisively."

If the Falcons cut Vick, it is unclear when or whether he could join another NFL team. That will depend on the length of his NFL suspension, the length of his expected federal prison term and possible state prosecution in Virginia. The maximum prison term in the federal case is five years, although sentencing guidelines likely would suggest 12 to 18 months.

If Vick returns to the league, it likely would be at a drastically reduced salary.

Unlike Vick's football contract, the specifics of his endorsement deals with Nike, Rawlings and other companies have never been made public.

But in its ranking of America's highest-paid athletes last year, Sports Illustrated estimated Vick's endorsement income at $7 million annually. And Oregon's Swangard said that, if not for the dogfighting scandal, a "conservative" estimate of Vick's ongoing endorsement earnings over the next 10 years would have been an average of $5 million per year.

"There is $50 million on the marketing side that has disappeared," Swangard said.

Nike on Friday terminated Vick's endorsement contract without pay, and at least seven other deals have either been suspended or allowed to expire.

"There is no corporation that will touch Michael Vick again, ever," said Ronn Torossian, president and chief executive officer of New York-based 5W Public Relations, which has represented athletes and entertainers.

The federal indictment against Vick and his three co-defendants described the dog-fighting operation in chilling detail, including accounts of dogs being shot, drowned or electrocuted if they did not perform well. Animal rights groups launched protests.

"The best advice any PR person can give Vick is 'work out, lift weights and run a lot while in jail,'" Torossian said, "because the only money he has a chance to make in the future is on the football field, not off it."

Swangard said Vick perhaps could get a small endorsement deal from an upstart company seeking "awareness" for a product if he makes it back to the NFL. "But his ability to be a mainstream endorser is gone forever."

The guilty plea will save Vick money in one respect. The case, sparked by a police raid at Vick's rural Virginia property in April, has been resolved quickly.

"His [five] attorneys are high-profile, high-charging attorneys, but it really hasn't been that long a litigation," McCann said. "I would say [the legal fees are] at least in the hundreds of thousands, but if it went to trial, it would be in the millions."

Reference: AJC Sports News Story

----------------------------------
After con Vick released from prison,
look for him near your closest Blind person's
newspapers & coffee stand
selling # 2 pencils out of a tin cup. :laugh2:

Last edited:
Defense tackle pitbull tackle Vick.
vickdanceagain5.jpg

LOL

R O F L!!
I LOVE IT!! THIS STUPID JERK, VICK
WOULD RICHLY DESERVE A NICE AZZ
BITE FROM THAT DOG FOR WHAT HE HAS
DONE TO THE POOR DEAD DOGS AND
THOSE SURVIVING ABUSED DOGS!
I CANT STAND ANY BODY WHO ABUSE
ANIMALS! GRRRRRRRR!!

Vick has been the big subject in Atlanta and Georgia. I am getting so tired of watching the local news just to hear what they have to say about Vick, blah, blah.

Recently the folks with the NAACP organisation in Atlanta had spoken out and believe he has done nothing wrong and is calling the NFL to allow Vick back to the field. :roll:

I suppose if NAACP doesn't have their way, they'll probably call for a nationwide protest against the NFL. :roll:

lol, yup... Atlanta is very strong black culture, nothing is new.

I'm not give a fuck about Vick, let PETA to screw him and NAACP up.

It's biggest wrong to have dogfighting, it has NOTHING with races.

I agree with you pacman. I don't understand why NAACP take too serious abt this and didn't think he didnt do anything wrong. He did wrong and it is a crime. SO NFL have every rights to suspend Vick from NFL. I am glad that NFL did. I am on NFL's side.

Gotta agree with u!

Vick to enter guilty plea Monday at federal courthouse

RICHMOND, Va. -- Michael Vick's guilty plea to a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge will cap one of the most rapid and startling falls from stardom in U.S. sports history.

The Atlanta Falcons quarterback is scheduled to formally enter his plea Monday, following the path of three co-defendants who already have pleaded guilty.

In Vick's written plea agreement filed in federal court Friday, he admitted helping kill six to eight pit bulls and supplying money for gambling on the fights. He said he did not personally place any bets or share in any winnings.

With negotiations between prosecutors and defense attorneys out of the way, all that's left is for U.S. District Judge Henry E. Hudson to accept the plea and decide how much time Vick will spend in prison, and for the NFL to determine the fate of Vick's career. The NFL suspended him indefinitely and without pay Friday after his plea agreement was filed.

Merely associating with gamblers can trigger a lifetime ban from the NFL under the league's personal conduct policy.

If Monday's proceedings follow the pattern of Vick's three co-defendants, the quarterback's plea hearing will be brief, with the judge setting a sentencing hearing for late fall after a background report is completed.

The plea agreement calls for a sentencing range of 12 to 18 months. But Hudson, who is known for handing down tough sentences, is not bound by any recommendation or federal sentencing guidelines and could sentence Vick to as much as five years in prison.

The case began in late April when authorities conducting a drug investigation of Vick's cousin raided the former Virginia Tech star's rural Surry County property and seized dozens of dogs, some injured, and equipment commonly used in dogfighting.

A federal indictment issued in July charged Vick, Purnell Peace of Virginia Beach, Quanis Phillips of Atlanta and Tony Taylor of Hampton with an interstate dogfighting conspiracy. Vick initially denied any involvement, and all four men pleaded innocent. Taylor was the first to change his plea to guilty; Phillips and Peace soon followed.

The details outlined in the indictment and other court papers fueled a public backlash against Vick and cost him several lucrative endorsement deals, even before he agreed to plead guilty.

Vick's plea Monday will come hours before the Falcons play an exhibition game at home against the Cincinnati Bengals. This will be the first chance for the team to see what effect Vick's case has on attendance at the Georgia Dome. Vick wears the biggest-selling jersey in team history and is given much credit for the team's 51 consecutive sellouts.

After initially denying his involvement, Vick has said little publicly about the case. Privately, he met with Goodell and Falcons owner Arthur Blank when the investigation was just beginning, and almost certainly lied to both.

Vick's defense attorney, Billy Martin, has said Vick will "explain his actions" publicly, but did not say when. The "Tom Joyner Morning Show," a syndicated program based in Dallas, said it will have a live interview with Vick on Tuesday, and he will take questions from callers.

Offical NFL News Report

--------------------------------------

:wave: (this is con Vick waving bye-bye
to all his monies when he come out of
the court house tomorrow) :laugh2:

SMILE pretty for the cameras con Vick!
this gonna be your prison mug shot.

Vicks does not deserve to be on the football sports, He is a rotten cold hearted man. He is a animal killer. Vick have already accpeted agreement to plea guility in exchange for reduced sentences. Also we all know that Vick's have two alleged partners the helped killed the dogs that didn't fight well and using these dogs to fight to make money off them is wrong. He probaby will only get 18 to 36 months in prison sentenece for suspended in the dog fight operation. I wish he got longer prison time for what he done to these dogs. These dogs don't deserve these kind of abuse. He should never ever get any pets since he is a abuser. I would not want him on NFL. Since Michael Vick wishes to apologized over and over,, he already lost my respect what he did to those dogs.

Vick deserves the punishment he gets.

I just wish the American public would be just as outraged about another former famous football player who didn't kill dogs--he killed two human beings. :mad:

Back