US officially ends Iraq war

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would prefer the truth not be told?

No. That was my point. He tells me the truth about what he experienced. And that is what makes me say "Thank you" for all that he tried to do to help.

No. That was my point. He tells me the truth about what he experienced. And that is what makes me say "Thank you" for all that he tried to do to help.

I am glad he came out okay.

I dunno, I just feel like "thank you" are not the right words. Thank you for what? The days of just and noble wars, if ever there was one, are long gone. Warmaking is a business that profits on death. That is a terrible thing to be thankful for.

I'd probably go with something along the lines of "I'm sorry."

I dunno, I just feel like "thank you" are not the right words. Thank you for what? The days of just and noble wars, if ever there was one, are long gone. Warmaking is a business that profits on death. That is a terrible thing to be thankful for.

I'd probably go with something along the lines of "I'm sorry."

Yep. Isn't it hell that the biggest dupes in the world are also the best-armed?

Yep. Isn't it hell that the biggest dupes in the world are also the best-armed?

They're not necessarily dupes. They've just been lied to and spoon fed tall tales about honor and courage and defending liberty, blah blah blah. I find it remarkable that a lot of them are smart enough to figure that out and speak out against it. I would bet that no country in the world has the kind of courageous soldiers we have in American that are willing to speak out against the war and the military. I also find it remarkable that we live in a country that allows that sort of dissent.

There are still some things to be thankful for.

No jillio, two wrongs don't make a right but what we have done pales in comparison to what our enemy has done to us! And when it comes to protecting our soldiers, then I am for it!

airportcop - you need to brush up on your history...

Welcome home, troops... and, They will be homeless iraq war veterans in future...

And I think most of us would agree with that. What a shame that he had to go through it, and will carry the scars for a lifetime.

They're not necessarily dupes. They've just been lied to and spoon fed tall tales about honor and courage and defending liberty, blah blah blah. I find it remarkable that a lot of them are smart enough to figure that out and speak out against it. I would bet that no country in the world has the kind of courageous soldiers we have in American that are willing to speak out against the war and the military. I also find it remarkable that we live in a country that allows that sort of dissent.

There are still some things to be thankful for.

Vets against war is one of the fastest growing organizations around. They come back stateside with the explicit knowledge that this is not what it was made out to be.

Welcome home, troops... and, They will be homeless iraq war veterans in future...

No doubt. Get ready for the influx of mentally ill and homeless made so as a result of their war experience and our lack of treatment for the returning vets.

Hundreds of thousands? Try millions.

Yeah, that just tends to be my generic expression for huge amounts when I don't have the exact numbers. In this case, it did kind of minimize. Thanks for the correction.:ty:

Vets against war is one of the fastest growing organizations around. They come back stateside with the explicit knowledge that this is not what it was made out to be.

And if they need proof - just tally all the calls to helplines for vets returning from Afghanistan and Iraq. The biggest growing need for vets right now is psychological counseling. It's really tragic - they're hired by corporations, er...government to go off and fight knowing fully well their lives are at stake, witness nightmares then come back home destroyed and nearly non-functional. There's no glory in this.

And if they need proof - just tally all the calls to helplines for vets returning from Afghanistan and Iraq. The biggest growing need for vets right now is psychological counseling. It's really tragic - they're hired by corporations, er...government to go off and fight knowing fully well their lives are at stake, witness nightmares then come back home destroyed and nearly non-functional. There's no glory in this.

Ditto. Psychological disorders are usually the first thing a soldier would endure.

No jillio, two wrongs don't make a right but what we have done pales in comparison to what our enemy has done to us! And when it comes to protecting our soldiers, then I am for it!

What has the enemy done to us that is much worse?

You mean the people who died in 9/11? Yes, that was an atrocious act: about 3,000 innocent American civilians died.

Or, are you referring to all of our American troops who have died? about 4500.

Or are you talking about the damage to our infrastructure and public safety? The destruction of three skyscrapers, various lasting health side effects, some severe, on rescue workers, marginal damage to the infrastructure of NYC. Contaminants in air and water cleared after a few days.

Okay, let's just say all of it. Now, multiple each of those numbers by 1000 and you will begin to scratch the surface of just how destructive this war has been for our "enemies."

I agree. The rate of suicide in returning vets has continued to climb. The reports of domestic violence and other violent behavior in returning vets is astounding. These men did things that were totally against laws of humanity. Upon returning home to a reasonably normal society, they simply break down.

And, the way the VA tends to treat these issues is to medicate, see them once a year for renewal of their psychotropics, and kick them out on the street, where we see the mentally ill, homeless population growing by leaps and bounds.

Ditto. Psychological disorders are usually the first thing a soldier would endure.

I would say no one returns untouched. The very first thing that should be taking place when a soldier returns home is a period of several weeks being spent de-briefing. Even those that don't think they have been affected show signs of disturbances in their thinking. The military tends to do that to everyone. It is such a heirarchy; people expect regular society to function in the same way, and it doesn't. They cannot adjust to a non-military way of life. This happens often when they are not even exposed to the atrocities of war; just the mental abuse of the military.

I would say no one returns untouched. The very first thing that should be taking place when a soldier returns home is a period of several weeks being spent de-briefing. Even those that don't think they have been affected show signs of disturbances in their thinking. The military tends to do that to everyone. It is such a heirarchy; people expect regular society to function in the same way, and it doesn't. They cannot adjust to a non-military way of life. This happens often when they are not even exposed to the atrocities of war; just the mental abuse of the military.

Very true.

I agree. The rate of suicide in returning vets has continued to climb. The reports of domestic violence and other violent behavior in returning vets is astounding. These men did things that were totally against laws of humanity. Upon returning home to a reasonably normal society, they simply break down.

And, the way the VA tends to treat these issues is to medicate, see them once a year for renewal of their psychotropics, and kick them out on the street, where we see the mentally ill, homeless population growing by leaps and bounds.

maybe someone needs to tell airportcop than more vets have committed suicide after returning from Iraq and Afghanistan than the grand total of vets who died in those countries.

maybe someone needs to tell airportcop than more vets have committed suicide after returning from Iraq and Afghanistan than the grand total of vets who died in those countries.

It is beyond me how anyone can ignore this fact. The returning vets don't need our "thanks" and then to be sent on their merry way to start life anew. They need our compassion and help to recover from what they have endured.

It is beyond me how anyone can ignore this fact.

I just have to cringe whenever that people keep boasting about how American soldiers sacrificed their lives for the freedom of America.

What freedom are they talking about? Liberating Iraq is not giving America freedom. I always have been against the Iraq invasion from the very beginning due to the political motivations behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back