US officially ends Iraq war

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh cut the demagoguery bullshit. Where did I say I don't appreciate the sacrifices made by American soldiers? I said I don't have sympathy when one dies--any soldier, not just ours. Do I have to cry a river every time someone gets blown up by an IED or pegged with with a an AK-47 round? Oh gee, nothing like that is supposed to happen in war! Give me a break. You can tack on all this honor and protection crap, but soldiers know what they sign up for. They sign up for war. And war is hell. So long as the innocent Iraqi civilians who have died continue to be a footnote in this whole thing, you won't get any sympathy from me. Keep crying your crocodile tears.

And now I will say this: No American soldier has died for my freedom since 1945. Since the end of WWII, all American acts of war have been imperialistic, unjustified, and overly aggressive uses of force meant to further the interests of the military-industrial complex and/or the corporatocracy that supports the global empire of the elite. To believe otherwise is pure ignorance.

So you don't think the soldiers who died at Ft. Hood died for your freedom?

And you're right, Beo. That version doesn't do the story justice at all. I removed the link. Better to read the entire book as whole. Since you seem to have an interest in Vietnam, I highly recommend it for you. It is, quite possibly, my favorite book in the entire world.

My boss about 5 years back was a Vietnam vet. Sometimes, after work, he'd tell me to get a couple beers out of the fridge and come sit with him in the office. I never asked, but he would tell me stories about Vietnam. Some were bad (but nothing like the one you just mentioned above), but I could tell he was withholding so much. It was like he wanted to tell me everything, but he couldn't even put words around what he had experienced.

He managed the apartment complex I lived at, and I was the maintenance supervisor. I remember one time I had just gotten off work and was outside my unit on the porch relaxing, and I same him driving around the complex slowly in his truck. He was inspecting everything, making sure no broken fences, or chipping paint or whatever. When he drove past my unit he stopped, so I went up to go talk to him. In his lap, he had an open beer. Before I could say anything, he just started telling me about the girl he had dated before he left for Vietnam. Sounded to me like they'd been in love and probably would have married if he hadn't gone off to war. When he came back from his tour, he looked her up and they went out together and had a good time and then went back at her place. They were finishing up their business when the girl's new boyfriend walked in. She hadn't told my boss about the boyfriend. The guy was of course pissed, but my boss was calm and collected. After all he had just experienced, he didn't give a piss about this guy, who hadn't gone to Vietnam. He just looked at the guy like, man, you don't even know shit and walked out. And he never spoke to the girl again.

So you don't think the soldiers who died at Ft. Hood died for your freedom?

I don't have enough respect for your pathetic, disgusting little self to even answer any of your questions, but I'll answer it anyway:

No. They did not.

My brother served several tours over in Viet Nam...so did my ex....and a lot of friends thru the years....Because of the "draft".

My brother, now..is a recluse. I blame the Viet Nam war for that. And the horrible way the American public has treated our Vets.

Now, my son (17) plans to enter the Military after school graduation. Do I worry? Hell yes!...They may say the war is "officially" over with...but some fighting will still go on, and more deaths to come.

Our VietNam vets are a particularly disturbing population. Because of the conditions they withstood, they suffer in ways that many of our other vets do not. The number of mentally ill and homeless vets that come from the VietNam war is astounding. Such a sad statement on America.

I have a dear friend that served 3 tours in VietNam. He has 4 Purple Hearts and still carries shrapnel in his body. He suffers from PTSD. He receives $258.00 a month from the government. If that is not a disturbing example of injustice, I don't know what is.

Yep, I would have been a traitor for refusing to go and kill (and possibly die) so that a few rich motherfuckers could have gotten richer.

I ain't no fortunate son.

Naw...you would have just been one of the many that went to Canada to avoid the draft during this immoral war.

depleted uranium rounds are commonly used by our air power especially AC-130, Apaches, and Warthogs to attack enemy's armored vehicles. I have heard of several news about our American soldiers suffering from it.

Some people don't pay close enough attentions to the consequences of war.

Saddam, behind the plan, is truley mastermind that make American look bad after he lie about they have mass weapon.

America manages to look bad without the help of anyone but our government.

Your attitude is exactly what is wrong with this whole picture. You are perfectly fine justifying the death of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians as a "sad fact in a war zone," and yet you are "saddened" by me using the same logic when talking about a far smaller number of American soldiers, the ones who actually make war.

I guess American blood is more precious to you than Iraqi blood? :hmm: or is it something else . . .

P.S. at the moment, the biggest threat to our freedom and comfortable life IS our military.

I think there are others on here who would disagree with you on that. Oh and yes I do care more about American lives. While that sounds harsh I find that in sending our soldiers over there to fight for the freedom of Iraq then yes our lives are more important. I hate to see innocent death of any kind but that is the spoils of war isn't it? But then I guess you think that leaving Sadamm Huesien in power to murder millions of innocents is okay too?

I don't have enough respect for your pathetic, disgusting little self to even answer any of your questions, but I'll answer it anyway:

No. They did not.

too bad you think that way and too bad you wont answer my next question: What is the most important lesson learned from WWII.
guess I wont be sharing my thoughts with a fool like you.

too bad you think that way and too bad you wont answer my next question: What is the most important lesson learned from WWII.
guess I wont be sharing my thoughts with a fool like you.

By all means, do not share your thoughts with me. I really, really, really, reeeeeeeeaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy don't give a flying donkey dick about what you have to say on ANY subject, nor do the vast majority of people on this website. You're a pariah, and yet you keep slithering back. So, please, don't share your thoughts and shut the fuck up. That would be a wonderful christmas present to everyone here on AD.

I think there are others on here who would disagree with you on that. Oh and yes I do care more about American lives. While that sounds harsh I find that in sending our soldiers over there to fight for the freedom of Iraq then yes our lives are more important. I hate to see innocent death of any kind but that is the spoils of war isn't it? But then I guess you think that leaving Sadamm Huesien in power to murder millions of innocents is okay too?

Oh, so that's why we went to Iraq? Funny, I thought it was because there were WMD. Or because Iraq harbored terrorists, or because . . . nevermind.

That you value the blood of one human being over another exposes your hypocrisy as a self-avowed Christian. I have a feeling I know the true reason as to why you think it's less worse to kill innocent Iraqi civilians than American soldiers, but I'll just keep that to myself.

Saddam Hussein did not kill millions of his own people. He was a tyrant, for sure, but don't even try and use some shady rhetorical trick trying to make it look like I would support such a monster. There are many monsters in this world, many of whom were created by the United States. Why aren't we deposing these monsters all over the world? It's not our prerogative to be the world police man. Except of course when it serves our financial interests. . .

And you're right, Beo. That version doesn't do the story justice at all. I removed the link. Better to read the entire book as whole. Since you seem to have an interest in Vietnam, I highly recommend it for you. It is, quite possibly, my favorite book in the entire world.

My boss about 5 years back was a Vietnam vet. Sometimes, after work, he'd tell me to get a couple beers out of the fridge and come sit with him in the office. I never asked, but he would tell me stories about Vietnam. Some were bad (but nothing like the one you just mentioned above), but I could tell he was withholding so much. It was like he wanted to tell me everything, but he couldn't even put words around what he had experienced.

He managed the apartment complex I lived at, and I was the maintenance supervisor. I remember one time I had just gotten off work and was outside my unit on the porch relaxing, and I same him driving around the complex slowly in his truck. He was inspecting everything, making sure no broken fences, or chipping paint or whatever. When he drove past my unit he stopped, so I went up to go talk to him. In his lap, he had an open beer. Before I could say anything, he just started telling me about the girl he had dated before he left for Vietnam. Sounded to me like they'd been in love and probably would have married if he hadn't gone off to war. When he came back from his tour, he looked her up and they went out together and had a good time and then went back at her place. They were finishing up their business when the girl's new boyfriend walked in. She hadn't told my boss about the boyfriend. The guy was of course pissed, but my boss was calm and collected. After all he had just experienced, he didn't give a piss about this guy, who hadn't gone to Vietnam. He just looked at the guy like, man, you don't even know shit and walked out. And he never spoke to the girl again.

That is sad. I understand that after a bloody battle, a soldier views all the carnage around him, shrugs and says "It don't mean shit." He had to. You know? It is so sad.

Wow, just reread what you posted and noticed your use of this term. I truly hope you're not using it correctly. To consider innocent deaths a spoil of war is pure evil.

Please go look up that term and then think if that's what you meant to say.

Wow, just reread what you posted and noticed your use of this term. I truly hope you're not using it correctly. To consider innocent deaths a spoil of war is pure evil.

Please go look up that term and then think if that's what you meant to say.

Maybe he meant scalps? :giggle:

Maybe he meant scalps? :giggle:

Damnit, I didn't want to like your post, but that made me laugh. Oh well, Merry Christmas. That's the only "like" you get from me until your birthday. :D

Your attitude, which is shared by many, is exactly what is wrong with this whole picture. You are perfectly fine justifying the death of hundreds of thousands of Iraqi civilians as a "sad fact in a war zone," and yet you are deeply saddened and offended by me using the same logic when talking about a far smaller number of American soldiers, the ones who actually make war.

I guess American blood is more precious to you than Iraqi blood? :hmm: or is it something else . . .

P.S. at the moment, the biggest threat to our freedom and comfortable life IS our military.

Alex,

Wow! The military poses no threat to our existance at all. They only stand to uphold or protect it. Our government is the biggest threat to our comfortable life!

Oh, so that's why we went to Iraq? Funny, I thought it was because there were WMD. Or because Iraq harbored terrorists, or because . . . nevermind.

That you value the blood of one human being over another exposes your hypocrisy as a self-avowed Christian. I have a feeling I know the true reason as to why you think it's less worse to kill innocent Iraqi civilians than American soldiers, but I'll just keep that to myself.

Saddam Hussein did not kill millions of his own people. He was a tyrant, for sure, but don't even try and use some shady rhetorical trick trying to make it look like I would support such a monster. There are many monsters in this world, many of whom were created by the United States. Why aren't we deposing these monsters all over the world? It's not our prerogative to be the world police man. Except of course when it serves our financial interests. . .

I am one of those that do believe Hussein did have WMDs and hid them or got rid of them and also housed terrorists! Unfortunately for you there are many, many more that think the way that I do!

[/B]

Alex,

Wow! The military poses no threat to our existance at all. They only stand to uphold or protect it. Our government is the biggest threat to our comfortable life!

No? how about the actions of our military overseas that angers and incites extremists? Abu Graib, Guantanamo, Afghanistan, numerous covert operations in South America.

How about the NG being used as mercenaries to protect the interests of the elite at G8 meetings, war protests, political conventions. Ever heard of Kent State? People's Park? Democratic convention 1968? And so on, and so on.

You can act like the government and the military are separate entities, but they are not. They are all part of the same power structure. The troops are pawns, but they make the choice to be pawns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back