Underground House~ want your opinion

In parts of europe, the people used to put dirt on roof and let animals eat grass on the roof. In Ireland, people used peat bog--type of dirt as part of the roof. So the idea is not entirely new. But the modern underground house is much bigger and looks more cozier. Another advantage is that you can grow garden on the roof. :)

Yes I have seen grass covered-roof more and more here in Germany since few years ago. They said that grass covered-roof is warmer than tiles covered-roof.

It keeps the house cool during the summer and warm during winter. I've seen it before. But the problem is that they don't have enough windows to let the sunshine light thru. And also make sure it's not on or near the slopes where it can mudslides.

Yes I can see disadvantage after saw GalaxyAngel's links is not windows enough to fresh air and not bright every rooms enough because every rooms need nature fresh air... They have to use utilities a lot (Electricity) to keep the rooms light. (turn the lights on all the day). Perhaps use more heater during winter time... ???? (Better check with house agency about this).

I never see underground house before... Interesting... Yes I'm agree that it's good advantage for tornadoes safety.

I know a few pros and cons of a underground house. While it is great as a shelter from bad elements such as tornados, strong gale winds, preventing heat loss, and low maintanace on repairs. Your heating (if built in snow belt region) or cooling (in sun belt) or both will be greatly reduced and the bills.

While I agree with Liebling that you will need more light brought in. Those underground and sheltered houses are not well lighted inside. UNLESS you have more money to set up your own power source such as solar or wind.

You will be well received with credits from the government for going green. Underground shelters, homes, etc are considered "Green" or evironmental-friendly. Hey, you will be loved by the liberals! Haha.

The down side, like I said about the lights. Underground shelters you will feel like being in the basement. You must have well ventation to prevent molds, dews, damps, and even rainwater that runs through the soil that sheltered the house. Extra pumping, extra expensive water-resistant paints, more materials to prevent water steeping in the walls. Dehumifiers on all the time, etc. If you have any problems with breathing like allergies or anything like that, maybe a sheltered or underground house is not for you. I know I can not have an underground home since I have bad allergies. I used to live in an apartment in the basement for too long (just before I married my wife)! Also my bedroom in basement when I was living at home with my mom back in the mid-80s.

To be well sheltered from bad weather elements (especially tornados), very little exposure of your home will be needed. Not like semi-sheltered types you seen in some websites.

I strongly recommend you do much further research via online, go to a home show (a trade show) in your hometown. This weekend in Syracuse, NY, we are having the CNY Home Show. They have companies that sells home plans at the show. Check for a show in your hometown or near your hometown. Strongly recommended you attend the show so you can ask them questions regarding an underground home for you.

Another thing to consider. Some towns have strict zoning laws that may ban unusual style of homes. But also geographically. An underground home is best built on a hill, not a flat land. Depends really.

Of course!!! MOW your lawn on the roof!!! Haha!! Very funny! Well, that is true. But please!!!! Do NOT plant trees on the roof because trees have good sense of knowing where water is. That is why water pipes have to be checked since roots love to get into the pipes! Tree roots will try to break through the ceiling!

Not even bushes or scrubs should be on roofs because of the roots will try to break through the ceiling. Just grass. Grass makes good insulation!

I hope this helps!

The reason why I was asking is because we (husband and I) just got an underground house and will be moving in that house in 2 weeks!!!!
Cool! I can't wait to see the pictures! :)

I've seen the underground house tours on HGTV. They didn't seem too dark. Many of the houses have a wall of angled windows on the "open" side or skylights.

I've also noticed when I visit many homes that people in regular "above ground" houses often have heavy drapes and blinds closed over their windows. They purposely keep their houses dark inside. (I don't like it that way but that's their preference.) They don't even use their windows, so sometimes the lack of light isn't an issue for some people.

I guess the moisture situation depends on the building materials used, the local geology, and local humidity. Some areas have high water tables, some have sandy soil, some are granite, some are clay, etc.

In the South Carolina Lowcountry, we can't even have basements because the water table is too high. There are no underground houses here. But in other places, underground houses make good sense.

I recently saw on TV a house that was made from an old underground missile silo. It was truly "underground", several stories down. But they made it very livable and cozy.

Remodeling : Deep in the Ground of Texas : Home & Garden Television

Atlas Missile Tours

I think it depends on the person. Some people feel cozy and secure when they are enclosed. It's not for me. I like to look out, and have lots of bright sunshine in my house (even if it does fade fabrics, ha, ha).

So, some of the pros and cons depend on personal preferences.

Oops, I forgot.

Monitor the radon levels.

When Ed and Dianna Peden first saw the former Atlas E missile site in 1980, it was flooded in 8-1/2 feet of water and had been abandoned since the 1960s. Peden couldn't keep his mind off the facility. The 40 acres of land, the history of the site and the large interior space all appealed to him. In 1994, the Peden's bought the land and the 15,000-square-foot site and moved right in. Originally built to withstand a nuclear attack makes this facility a perfect home for a home located in tornado-prone Kansas.

The underground complex includes two buildings connected by a 100-foot steel-lined corrugated tunnel, used by military personnel to gain entrance to the missile bay area (figure A). The first building was the original launch services building where the rockets were housed (figure B). The second building, the former command and control building, is where the Peden's established their home (figure C). The Peden's have maintained most of the missile site's original design features.

The Peden's designed a beautiful entryway into their underground home (figure D). Inside the entryway, a spiral staircase winds its way down two stories below ground level to an open den area (figure E). The exposed wooden beams add warmth and texture to the den living space. Adjacent to the den is the spacious kitchen facility designed to entertain large get-togethers (figure F).

Pictures:
Remodeling : Kansas Missile Site : Home & Garden Television

SEROUIS REBELGIRL.. r u moving in underground house?

I'll be damned.. I wanna visit your place and let me have your accomation!
(chuckles)

I'm envy you!

The reason why I was asking is because we (husband and I) just got an underground house and will be moving in that house in 2 weeks!!!! Also wanted to see what were the pros and cons about underground houses. I guess I just wanted to know because I've never lived in one.

Tweetybirdie, There are several underground houses I've seen around here. Some are hidden. there's one on Capshaw in Madison.

We are so excited! i just hope that we're making the right decision on this.

I'll take pictures tomorrow when we go to meet the owner. and post some so ya'll can get an idea what it looks like! thanks!

awesome can't wait to see it
it is cool that you got it smile

I'll take pictures tomorrow when we go to meet the owner. and post some so ya'll can get an idea what it looks like! thanks!

Ohhhohhh :hyper: pictures pictures!! ....

Once again Congraulation on your new underground home!! I'm very happy for you and your hubby, :hug:

You guys have made a really good post, I have put alot of thoughts on this and I decided to go ahead and get the house.

we have 4 windows up front so we'll have lights. In our bedroom, daughter's room, living room and kitchen all have windows.. but the rest in the back doesn't.. which is another room, bathroom and laundry room. we have 2 huge carport underground too so that'll leave us some air as well.

That's a good idea to have the radon checked out. I wondered how can I find someone to come and check what the levels are. the house is about 20 years old and very well-maintained. I'll take a pix when I can and you all can see what I'm talking about. I tried to find in google similar to my new home but nothing looks like that but just a idea what underground homes look like.

Ga, yes, we're moving there in 2 weeks. If you do ever come to alabama and need to crash in.. we got room.. oh geez... room! its been sooooooooooo long since I could say "we got room for you" there is a detached sun room with a sink and a bathroom. amazing!!! I just so love that place! I'm very excited!

wow very interesting... I never see like this before... I´m looking forward to see pictures, RebelGirl...

I´m happy for you & your family to make a right decision before buy underground house.

Best of Good Luck... :thumb:

Reba, about the Lowcountry and not being able to have these houses there because of the water table. I really think that there's a big distinction between an earth-bermed home and a basement home. Obviously, a basement home wouldn't work, as you said; however, an earth-bermed home would be carved out of the side of a hill or on flat ground and then the dirt bermed up and enclose the home except for the front.

COOL!!! I gotta come and VISIT! :giggle:

Sound like a great house to live in! AWESOME! Make sure ya get plenty of pictures! :)

So have a happy moving to a new home!

You guys have made a really good post, I have put alot of thoughts on this and I decided to go ahead and get the house.

we have 4 windows up front so we'll have lights. In our bedroom, daughter's room, living room and kitchen all have windows.. but the rest in the back doesn't.. which is another room, bathroom and laundry room. we have 2 huge carport underground too so that'll leave us some air as well.

That's a good idea to have the radon checked out. I wondered how can I find someone to come and check what the levels are. the house is about 20 years old and very well-maintained. I'll take a pix when I can and you all can see what I'm talking about. I tried to find in google similar to my new home but nothing looks like that but just a idea what underground homes look like.

Ga, yes, we're moving there in 2 weeks. If you do ever come to alabama and need to crash in.. we got room.. oh geez... room! its been sooooooooooo long since I could say "we got room for you" there is a detached sun room with a sink and a bathroom. amazing!!! I just so love that place! I'm very excited!

Very interesting!

For me, I probably could live in an underground house if a part of it allows sunlight in. I need natural sunlight during the day if possilbe. Reba mentioned something about molds so if I were to get an underground house, I would have to seriously check that issue out cuz I have severe allergies.

Anyways, congrats Rebelgirl on your new home! Yep, cant wait for the pics. :)

Are underground houses more expensive than above-ground houses?

I am sure in AZ they probably are cuz the desert ground is hard as rocks and special explosives are needed to create basements. I cant even imagine what the costs would be for building an underground house in AZ or in any cities or towns on a desert.

I am sure the electricity bill will be soooo much lower during those hot summers! LOL!

I have seen a few house are underground near my house. look like a barn but the house is half way down in the ground.

Reba, about the Lowcountry and not being able to have these houses there because of the water table. I really think that there's a big distinction between an earth-bermed home and a basement home. Obviously, a basement home wouldn't work, as you said; however, an earth-bermed home would be carved out of the side of a hill or on flat ground and then the dirt bermed up and enclose the home except for the front.
We don't have any hills. When I say Lowcountry, I mean LOW and FLAT. :lol:

They could be bermed if soil was brought in from somewhere else. The soil is clay here. I just haven't seen anyone do it here yet. :dunno:

The water table is so high here that when people hand dig holes for fence posts, water bubbles up. When people want to install "inground" pools, they actually build up berms in which to set the pools. Even then, most of them have flexible liners instead of concrete because the water underneath pushes up and cracks the concrete. Same thing happens to some driveways; they crack from the underground water.

Some of downtown Charleston's streets flood during high tide on full moon nights. They also flood during rain storms because the water can't drain off the streets; they're just a little above sea level, so the water has no place to go. Crazy, huh? :lol:

...Ga, yes, we're moving there in 2 weeks. If you do ever come to alabama and need to crash in.. we got room.. oh geez... room! its been sooooooooooo long since I could say "we got room for you" there is a detached sun room with a sink and a bathroom. amazing!!! I just so love that place! I'm very excited!
We should all show up and throw a house warming party! :P

Back