Underground House~ want your opinion

Leibling, I see you were puzzled about basements in homes. Not all homes have basements. Take California, for example......except for some older homes, there are almost no basements in homes in most of California. Why is this? Because of the earthquake factor, simply and briefly put.....

Yes I remember other thread somewhere here that we talk about basements.

I understood because of earthquake...

The reason we must have basement because of safety accord German authorities... I estimate 98% own house/apartment with basement/cellar because every houses sell alway including basements in every house agencies. Germans won´t buy the house/apartment without basement.

I would love to see a house like that, but I don't think living in one would suit me. I can't be a Cellar Dweller. :)

On the other hand, I'd like to live in a tree house with a skylight. Kinda like Swiss Family Robinson style. :P

We don't have any hills. When I say Lowcountry, I mean LOW and FLAT. :lol:

They could be bermed if soil was brought in from somewhere else. The soil is clay here. I just haven't seen anyone do it here yet. :dunno:

The water table is so high here that when people hand dig holes for fence posts, water bubbles up. When people want to install "inground" pools, they actually build up berms in which to set the pools. Even then, most of them have flexible liners instead of concrete because the water underneath pushes up and cracks the concrete. Same thing happens to some driveways; they crack from the underground water.

Some of downtown Charleston's streets flood during high tide on full moon nights. They also flood during rain storms because the water can't drain off the streets; they're just a little above sea level, so the water has no place to go. Crazy, huh? :lol:

Wow! Really? I grew up in a COMPLETE opposite environment as far as water is concerned. LOL! The ground in AZ is soooo dry and u need special soil installed to have a working garden in Phx, AZ.

However, due to the ground being so dry and hard as a rock..in fact, most of the underground are solid rocks in the desert, I think that's why there is no underground homes in Phx. Otherwise, the costs would be in the millions probably!

Wow! Really? I grew up in a COMPLETE opposite environment as far as water is concerned. LOL! The ground in AZ is soooo dry and u need special soil installed to have a working garden in Phx, AZ.

However, due to the ground being so dry and hard as a rock..in fact, most of the underground are solid rocks in the desert, I think that's why there is no underground homes in Phx. Otherwise, the costs would be in the millions probably!

Hey, Shel, you forgot to add one more interesting tid-bit about AZ and that is it is so dry there that one occasionally sees trees chasing dogs! LOL!

Hey, Shel, you forgot to add one more interesting tid-bit about AZ and that is it is so dry there that one occasionally sees trees chasing dogs! LOL!

Never heard of that one before. Is that relating to tumbleweeds? That is new to me.

Hahaha, Shel, maybe you read the line too fast. I said it is so dry in AZ that the TREES chase the DOGS in their need of water!! Lol!

I like the underground houses. It provides many good reasons. It protects the family if, there's somethin' wrong with Mother Nature or somethin'. I have friends who are goin' to build " dome " house for a tornado reason. It's goin' to be interestin' to see if, there's a future that there will be many designs for houses in order to protect it from destroyin' in any bad weather in different state all over the USA. It will save lots of $$.

CooberPedy - underground in Australia

".............................Dirt walls, mainly. About 70 percent of Coober Pedy’s 3,500 residents live underground. It’s simple survival, since summer temperatures soar above 55 degree Celsius. The boroughs remain cool in summer, and warm in winter."

".................................Coober Pedy’s cave homes are far more engaging. Boring machines can dig a four-bedroom abode in a day. The cost is 20-30 percent less than conventional housing, but the real saving comes in energy. While several air conditioners struggle to cool a normal house to under 30 degrees in summer, Coober Pedy’s caves remain a comfortable 25 degrees, year-round, free of charge..............................."

Here it is!! Sorry it took me a while! been a busy weekend!

1003700qc8.jpg

1003701fk0.jpg

1003702bj8.jpg

This is the back of the house... that's what I meant its like a basement home not fully covered but Halfway.. the back bedroom is under the ground but our room and my daughter's room are out with windows
1003703qj2.jpg

Actually this is not underground.. It's half of way underground... cuz roof top still outside..
Seems so COOL.. sumth'n different!

by the way thanks for sharing your pictures...
:)

Actually this is not underground.. It's half of way underground... cuz roof top still outside..
Seems so COOL.. sumth'n different!

by the way thanks for sharing your pictures...
:)
actually they call it the underground house.. its a basement like. its not bermed-like. the back bedrooms are under the ground but the front is not.

it looks good, nice place, quiet. are u buying it, rebelgirl? have u got the inspector to check that house?
My mother in law used to have the house in WA, front we see 1 story house aka flat house, back there's 2 story house. downstair is 3 bedrooms/familyroom with windows view back yark and forest, and back(alike basement, right above where upstair is livingroom/kitchen/dinningroom/masterbathroom/guest restroom/master bedroom/officeroom and garage) where no windows are laundry, 2 bathrooms, storage/heatwater tank, and bar there's pool table, really nice. I have used to live there didnt get moldy.
In Alaska I dont think there's, dunno, cuz here is snow alot, and recently some place got flood :Ohno:

LOVE your underground house RebelGirl, your house looks similar to mine, :ily:

wow, the pictures got me interesting impression. I just got my hubby to look your pictures... I explained him what and why USA want to have underground houses. We were like wow and interesting.

I ask you one question on my hubby´s behalf about the back of the house, where the picture shown. Did they built special for back inside/outside wall of the house to prevent damp and mold and smelly? (because of no air if the wall of house is under soil - no air could lead damp and mold...) I told him that I beleive that they build special plaster to prevent damp and mold... ???

wow, the pictures got me interesting impression. I just got my hubby to look your pictures... I explained him what and why USA want to have underground houses. We were like wow and interesting.

I ask you one question on my hubby´s behalf about the back of the house, where the picture shown. Did they built special for back inside/outside wall of the house to prevent damp and mold and smelly? (because of no air if the wall of house is under soil - no air could lead damp and mold...) I told him that I beleive that they build special plaster to prevent damp and mold... ???

Maybe I can help with your hubby's question. Before, they used to put tar on the outside wall and maybe some plastic sheeting on the outside house wall, then the dirt......However, I think with today's technology, they use thick foam sheets between the house wall and the dirt.

Rebel's house will save some on utility bills but not as much if the roof was earth-bermed because the sun will be beating down on the roof. But still, it's nice and I wish the couple all the best that country living has to offer!!

Back