Ugh.. Being Deaf Sucks

Some customers at my grocery store have been unbelievably rude... Even if they know that I am deaf and trying my best with them.
My supervisors are very protective of me, and all will jump at anyone who says anything rude. I'm good at my job... I just can't understand every word said to me.

ocean breeze, and shel, yes you are right about that carrying negativsm too much can make you sick, but at times we are allowed to vent but NOT to that the offender UNLESS you are absolutely 100% sure you can get away with it while getting them done, but i feel that is like 1% of the situation would be favourable to us, so its extremely rare. So yeah we have to shrug is off mostly and try other means to make a difference.

Deaf people can do anythting execpt to hear.

sorry, contrary to deaf political view, that is propagandists bullshit, for example you tell me deaf can be border patrol officers? not a chance there's always HEARING PEOPLE.....dont give me that rubbish.
Its a misleading overstatement on positivism that i believe was engineered to dupe all the deaf to ignore they system's change. I rest my case. you can disagree, please yourself , you can carry on being disillusioned, i dont care, its your choice to believe this trendy opinion. I don't.

i know the feeling.
i have live both live-Hearie and Deafie
Now am Deaf and there aint going back.
I know deafness has its ups and downs but i assure you that am happy.
would you imagine the embarrassments i face when i try to explain to someone on the other side of the desk that am Deaf and they will have to write and then before evrybody they still dont get it.
others behave rudely but i have adapted to the same and i am rude too but like a Gentleman. I dont curse or abuse but i explain to them that am not mad or an alien just that i cant understand spoken speech and give them choices either to talk at comfortable pace i lip read, to use a pen and paper or an interpretter.
Mostly the peper and pen is much favoured.

I remember a time when a lady at the University Library entrace yelled at me saying that am joking by saying that am Deaf. I had forgotten my University ID and hence the inconvinience. I felt bad and told her that i would call one of my class mates and prove tro her that am so AND THEN SHE WOULD HAVE TO APPOLOGISE.
she freaked and let me pass

Not proper for her do job!! :roll: .. I will report and contact with manager!!! Geez I will Yelling at her back!!! What's matter with you!!! :giggle:

Pls contact them!!!

Good luck!

I mean don't let her win !!!

sorry, contrary to deaf political view, that is propagandists bullshit, for example you tell me deaf can be border patrol officers? not a chance there's always HEARING PEOPLE.....dont give me that rubbish.
Its a misleading overstatement on positivism that i believe was engineered to dupe all the deaf to ignore they system's change. I rest my case. you can disagree, please yourself , you can carry on being disillusioned, i dont care, its your choice to believe this trendy opinion. I don't.

Keep your bullsheet to yourself, thanks.

Nah, I wasn't offended, Freckles. I also go thru such sad experiences and I know your feelings. Life I think is not always being able to eliminate the things that suck but developing a quality of spirit by which we can face things that suck. Ekks.

Cheer up dearie.:)

I think you did the right thing w/ the pen. I would have walked away and dropped the pen on the floor. I see you did complain. Seems you did everything you could do. I am not sure if you are oral or not. If so, I would have said, F*ck you very much, have a nice day!

but shela, these (extra hassles) wouldn't have happened if I'm NOT happen to be deaf. I mean there's always something and after another.

sigh.gif
Not to minimize your troubles but welcome to the world my friend. Even as a hearing person sometimes I feel the same way. Just one thing after another. Think of the old saying. "If it doesnt kill you it will make you stronger" Be strong!!

Keep your bullsheet to yourself, thanks.

Hey, I agree with Grummer. He stated it very succinctly, very upfront but that's the reality. Its all nice, polite, positive-meaning, etc to say things like that (anything but hear) but it often doesn't jive with reality.

I'm with grummer, while I definitely agree dwelling/swelling changes nothing - believe me I've chalked up A LOT, most of rudeness as experience. (this thread keeps bumping up doesn't mean I've been dwelling, sharing correspondence helps). I just don't see how she could get away with that one. with craps I've been facing by hearies. and, especially when there was no misunderstanding at that day in first place - just unnecessarily out of blue - so it was the last straw for me. until another one, worst comes.

it depends on her/his attitude really. whoever thinks could get away with most nasty attitude because of my deafness.. like this woman, I will battle. end of discussion. no question. we all have endured enough, time to filter them out.

athina, glad you weren't smile. being 'spiritual', I try everyday in despite growing up in hateful world.

newidme, ha ha I'm not oral at all, growing up in a hearing community helps. I'm also not that rude, very rare for me to swear. I'd hug my pets any day.

rockdrummer, yes.. noticed I said 'extra'? I know everyone endures different impacts and barriers. yep - stronger, I left smiling. ;) but truth to be spoken, I don't think I can get any more stronger.

I think jclarke's post referred to that nasty woman's attitude, in general.

it has been a while since I heard from the manager.. :hmm: time to click button soon. :squint:

I'm with grummer, while I definitely agree dwelling/swelling changes nothing - believe me I've chalked up A LOT, most of rudeness as experience. (this thread keeps bumping up doesn't mean I've been dwelling, sharing correspondence helps). I just don't see how she could get away with that one. with craps I've been facing by hearies. and, especially when there was no misunderstanding at that day in first place - just unnecessarily out of blue - so it was the last straw for me. until another one, worst comes.

it depends on her/his attitude really. whoever thinks could get away with most nasty attitude because of my deafness.. like this woman, I will battle. end of discussion. no question. we all have endured enough, time to filter them out.

athina, glad you weren't smile. being 'spiritual', I try everyday in despite growing up in hateful world.

newidme, ha ha I'm not oral at all, growing up in a hearing community helps. I'm also not that rude, very rare for me to swear. I'd hug my pets any day.

rockdrummer, yes.. noticed I said 'extra'? I know everyone endures different impacts and barriers. yep - stronger, I left smiling. ;) but truth to be spoken, I don't think I can get any more stronger.

I think jclarke's post referred to that nasty woman's attitude, in general.

it has been a while since I heard from the manager.. :hmm: time to click button soon. :squint:

:o

Your thread reminded me of something to remember.

When I was twelve years old, and told by some of my friends, they hated to be deaf and believed in "somebody should shut deaf community down" & "deafness suck" subjects because they had a hard time with their lives. They just felt so shame to be and, of course, felt not so proud to be. Even they wished to be hearing people... I found myself it was quite annoying...

Personal opinion of mine in present time...
Sure, being deaf is not always be easy and sucks too.
Well, "being deaf sucks" subject do not mean you should be sorry for yourself, shame of yourself because of your disabilty, or you should not be proud to be, or whatever it is.
Actually - if there are no various disabilities people have, then I highly doubt hearing people can patience more. More likely, they will have a little experience without having various good challenges, imo.

Just thought.

Often, I ask myself, "Is deafness have more negative than positive?" Well, there is probably no answer for this question...

I feel your pain, Mann. I tried to join the US military for many times but I moved on to focus to get a Bachelor's Degrees.

keep your head up

I'm sorry to hear about you situation, sometimes you have to grin and bear it.
Myself i'v been hearing ,deaf and now back to hearing.I'm learning asl to prepaire for the inevidible (one day hear no more) For me its been hard,some days I could hear some days not,people wouldn't believe me when i say i couldn't hear, but what do ya do? I'v been lucky my friends and family have
stuck with me though thick and thin,i'm sure its the same for you.

Back