Tsunami!!!

If you really thought about it... It's almost pointless to evacuate. And if we were seriously worried, the entire states of COW (California, Oregon,and Washington) should be evacuating right now according to the fallout map.

Why aren't we evacuating?

Can you tell me how many people died due to the Chernobyl disaster?
2. How many people died as an immediate result of the accident?

The initial explosion resulted in the death of two workers. Twenty-eight of the firemen and emergency clean-up workers died in the first three months after the explosion from Acute Radiation Sickness and one of cardiac arrest.

3. How many people were evacuated?

The entire town of Pripyat (population 49,360), which lay only three kilometres from the plant was completely evacuated 36 hours after the accident. During the subsequent weeks and months an additional 67,000 people were evacuated from their homes in contaminated areas and relocated on government order. In total some 200,0000 people are believed to have been relocated as a result of the accident.

Frequently Asked Chernobyl Questions

...Just a tip - fallout shelters were on every corner block during the 60's - 70's. Old Post Office Buildings should have them. McDonald's buildings during that era would have them too.
Normally they were in buildings with basements, and they had to meet other requirements, such as storing water, food, and first aid supplies. The movie theater where I worked (1969-70) was a designated bomb shelter.

McDonald's? I don't think they would make good shelters, and back then they weren't as widespread. We didn't even have one in my town.

Normally they were in buildings with basements, and they had to meet other requirements, such as storing water, food, and first aid supplies. The movie theater where I worked (1969-70) was a designated bomb shelter.

McDonald's? I don't think they would make good shelters, and back then they weren't as widespread. We didn't even have one in my town.

Now, they are like on every corner!

If you want to walk about three miles from my house, there's a MacDonald's. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. :lol:

If you want to walk about three miles from my house, there's a MacDonald's. Personally, I don't think it's worth it. :lol:

No, because the calories you burned by walking there will get replaced many times over!

Good job getting the ratings report on Obama mixed in. Guess it is safe to assume you are Conservative. Good luck with that.

I also wonder, are you employed by the electric company? You have made very few comments on this topic except to refute any news reports that mention potential meltdowns. Glad this is just a lesson in journalism for you. Why did Japan evacuate 170,000 people from around the reactor; practice? Godzilla vs Mothra?

:jaw:

Are you reading me here? My Obama statement was an example of sensationalist news...it's the same as many "news" reports out there. You take two things that are true and combine them to insinuate a falsehood. (By the way, I have no idea what actual % of Presidents have had assassination attempts. But it doesn't matter if it's 10 or 7 or 12 per cent, the idea is the same. I guess I could look it up, but that's not the point.)

I don't refute news reports that mention the possibility of a meltdown. I refute news reports that act as though a total meltdown is imminent, because NO ONE IS SAYING THAT. As pfh pointed out, a total imminent meltdown that resulted in major radiation leaks WOULD be the cause for some serious worry.

People all over the world die all the time. There's someone dying right now. There was an earthquake in China three days ago that resulted in the death of people and terrible destruction. Did you stop and worry? Probably not. Was it even in the news? Kind of, but you may have had to look for it.

You can have concern and empathy for a situation without worrying.

As of now, only one is within walking distance from my house (5 mins!) :lol:

No, because the calories you burned by walking there will get replaced many times over!
I was just giving you an idea of the saturation of McD's in my area.

It has been a long time since I ate there. I rarely eat fast food, maybe once a year. I like Chick-fil-a chicken sandwiches, and maybe Subway. I cannot think of anything else.

:jaw:

Are you reading me here? My Obama statement was an example of sensationalist news...it's the same as many "news" reports out there. You take two things that are true and combine them to insinuate a falsehood. (By the way, I have no idea what actual % of Presidents have had assassination attempts. But it doesn't matter if it's 10 or 7 or 12 per cent, the idea is the same. I guess I could look it up, but that's not the point.)

I don't refute news reports that mention the possibility of a meltdown. I refute news reports that act as though a total meltdown is imminent, because NO ONE IS SAYING THAT. As pfh pointed out, a total imminent meltdown that resulted in major radiation leaks WOULD be the cause for some serious worry.

People all over the world die all the time. There's someone dying right now. There was an earthquake in China three days ago that resulted in the death of people and terrible destruction. Did you stop and worry? Probably not. Was it even in the news? Kind of, but you may have had to look for it.

You can have concern and empathy for a situation without worrying.
Not much point in continuing this. We disagree.

You want to talk about sensationalist journalism, go to the political arena. You can have Limbaugh or Olbermann or any flavor in between, all screaming that the world is flat unless we vote differently.

:wave:

Can you show me the press statement?

Japan quake, tsunami death toll risesThis Just In - CNN.com Blogs

[9:54 p.m. ET, 11:54 a.m. Tokyo] A meltdown may have occurred at at least one nuclear power reactor in Japan, the country's chief cabinet secretary, Yukio Edano, said Sunday.
He also said that authorities are concerned over the possibility of another meltdown at a second reactor.
"We do believe that there is a possibility that meltdown has occurred. It is inside the reactor. We can't see. However, we are assuming that a meltdown has occurred," he said of the No. 1 reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear facility. "And with reactor No. 3, we are also assuming that the possibility of a meltdown as we carry out measures."

My ex girlfriend's father (from High School) is a nuclear engineer and works in Pennsylvania (not TMI ;) ) This is as serious as it gets. My brother was a nuclear engineer for the Navy.

With four more reactors in trouble, I am not taking chances. The Pacific Windstream WILL pick up that radiation. I am not hoping it will, I am preparing for it. Big difference.

We have three McDonald's as designated fallout shelters in the Marietta, GA. area.

May have to do with Dobbins being so close.

I wish there was a list of fallout shelters.

official press statement was from the Japanese Government. Fukushima has melted down.

We do believe that there is a possibility that meltdown has occurred. It is inside the reactor. We can't see. However, we are assuming that a meltdown has occurred,

Assume. Possibility. Not finality.

Also, a partial meltdown isn't the same as a total meltdown.

What's important is not a hydrogen explosion, or the release of some radiation in the air. It's about how MUCH radiation was released and in what capacity. At this point, very little in relativity to what people are fearing and mis-reporting. That map was totally BS.

IF the reactors melt, then you a "total meltdown". However, it is impossible to predict what would happen in that event. We just don't know. And right now it's not going to do me any good to freak out about it.

Are you evacuating?

We have three McDonald's as designated fallout shelters in the Marietta, GA. area.

May have to do with Dobbins being so close.
Still? I haven't seen any public shelters since the 60's. Most McDonald's structures I've seen wouldn't make very good shelters. Those must be specially constructed ones. Are they huge?

I wish there was a list of fallout shelters.
Do it yourself:

Bomb Shelter Frequently Asked Questions

Of course, the problem with home shelters is you have to actually be at home when the need arises or else it's useless.

Not much point in continuing this. We disagree.

You want to talk about sensationalist journalism, go to the political arena. You can have Limbaugh or Olbermann or any flavor in between, all screaming that the world is flat unless we vote differently.

:wave:

Yes, we disagree. You choose to follow sensationalist journalism and I don't. :P

...With four more reactors in trouble, I am not taking chances. The Pacific Windstream WILL pick up that radiation. I am not hoping it will, I am preparing for it. Big difference.
How are you preparing?

Still? I haven't seen any public shelters since the 60's. Most McDonald's structures I've seen wouldn't make very good shelters. Those must be specially constructed ones. Are they huge?

Do it yourself:

Bomb Shelter Frequently Asked Questions

Of course, the problem with home shelters is you have to actually be at home when the need arises or else it's useless.

FALLOUT PARTY AT MY HOUSE! :birthday:

Back