Tsunami!!!

Still? I haven't seen any public shelters since the 60's. Most McDonald's structures I've seen wouldn't make very good shelters. Those must be specially constructed ones. Are they huge?

Do it yourself:

Bomb Shelter Frequently Asked Questions

Of course, the problem with home shelters is you have to actually be at home when the need arises or else it's useless.

Yes, still. If I get a chance, I will take a picture of them this week and post them. I remember thinking the same thing when I saw it ("Still?") On the fallout shelter sign it had a maximum capacity count but I can't remember what it was.

We also have a post office that has a fallout shelter. Several buildings in Atlanta have fallout shelters too.

BTW, there are plenty of old mine tunnels in my neck of the woods. Some of them even have underground freshwater springs. Its just good to know where they are .... just in case.

I have a hidey hole in case there is a mass exodus. 3 days walking distance from the closest town. You want to be that far away from starving hordes ;)

Seriously ... um ... I have a contingency plan. I have often wondered what those FEMA caskets were for ... ?

FEMA Coffins In Georgia? | Ron Paul 2012 | Sound Money, Peace and Liberty
Wouldn't body bags be cheaper and more portable?

I've read that those are not caskets.

Even if they are, what's the problem? Some greedy plastics manufacturer tricked the government into wasting a lot of money on the purchase of a bunch of vaults/body boxes for possible future mass casualties. At worst, it's a waste of taxpayers' dollars.

Yes, still. If I get a chance, I will take a picture of them this week and post them. I remember thinking the same thing when I saw it ("Still?") On the fallout shelter sign it had a maximum capacity count but I can't remember what it was.
That's certainly bizarre.

We also have a post office that has a fallout shelter. Several buildings in Atlanta have fallout shelters too.
I've heard about the post office.

BTW, there are plenty of old mine tunnels in my neck of the woods. Some of them even have underground freshwater springs. Its just good to know where they are .... just in case.
Are you sure they're structurally sound?

There's nothing underground here. Our water table is too high, and our land above sea level is too low. No basements. Just digging holes for fence posts will strike water.

That's certainly bizarre.

I've heard about the post office.

Are you sure they're structurally sound?

There's nothing underground here. Our water table is too high, and our land above sea level is too low. No basements. Just digging holes for fence posts will strike water.

Yes, a few of them are very structurally sound as they were tunnelled through bedrock. I have been in quite a few of them with metal detectors ;)

I wonder if High Schools built during the cold war era would have fallout shelters (???)

...I wonder if High Schools built during the cold war era would have fallout shelters (???)
Many of those schools have been torn down.

I don't recall any of the schools that I attended in the 50's and 60's being designated as shelters. :dunno: (I attended 11 different schools in four states.)

and iodine tablets - or you could bid on the only radiation suit up for auction on ebay right now (its a grand).
I have relatives who were issued bottles of iodine tablets by the husband's work place (a nuclear power plant), so they always have a supply at home.

Many of those schools have been torn down.

I don't recall any of the schools that I attended in the 50's and 60's being designated as shelters. :dunno: (I attended 11 different schools in four states.)

There were plenty of fallout shelters when I was growing up. Most of them are gone now.

Then ... there are the private shelters that no one knows about. Then, there are the privately owned/publicly talked about shelters like the Ark II community in Toronto.

I am going to experiment with google earth - this is why:

http://districtfallout.wordpress.com/your-neighborhood/

from the comments:

FYI, there is a known “fallout” sign at Elstad Auditorium at Gallaudet University (800 Florida Ave NE)

yeah ... I know about that "secret" tunnel ;) been in it several times.

a bomb shelter is not the same as a fallout shelter. besides, you can only have so many people underground for so long (in a bomb shelter) without worrying about oxygen.

bomb shelters may provide better shelter than a house, but it's not a fallout shelter.

a bomb shelter is not the same as a fallout shelter. besides, you can only have so many people underground for so long (in a bomb shelter) without worrying about oxygen.

bomb shelters may provide better shelter than a house, but it's not a fallout shelter.
Correct.

There are some that can serve both purposes but one is not automatically the same as the other.

Even a regular house, with proper modifications and preparations, can serve to protect against fallout. However, a regular house normally won't make a very good bomb shelter.

Correct, fallout shelters usually have a sign indicating they are fallout shelters and not bomb shelters:

FalloutShelterSignLarge-150x204.gif

and iodine tablets - or you could bid on the only radiation suit up for auction on ebay right now (its a grand).

People here are getting Iodine tablets....Nothing wrong with being prepared....no telling how much truth we are getting from Japan. Would be fun to see the evacuation plan fo 70 million people.... :shock:

Back