Top Earthquake States

Jolie77

Premium Member
Reaction score
This is quite interesting. I've always thought California was the No. 1 on the list for having to be in the top 10 for a earthquake prone state but nope, it's not California being the No. 1. I'd have to believe that it was California because it's all I hear about in the news or anywhere else. It's no surprise that California gets the earthquake every now and then but however after seeing the list, it got me to wonder.

It's worth seeing how each state ranks in this list. Find out where your state ranks at.

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Top Earthquake States

By the way, my state ranks at 23 in the list.

True Jolie, but yeah knew it was Alaska Ranked#1 then California Ranked#2
But yes same thoughts about CA..
I only found out about Alaska a few years ago being Ranked#1.
But funny ya never hear much about them up there.
But sure they do up there in Alaska..LoL:lol:

Anyways, I'm in Indiana & Ranked#30

true i always thought it was california but wrong

and michigan is ranked #36

hmmm interested. same here I thought CA is the one but wrong.

New York is ranked #21.

Alaska is # 1 rank of earthquake ? C O O L !! :D

Interesting .... Pennsylvania is not even on the map, Whew !!!!! If anything it was a very small one, it does say down further in the article that Pennsylvania had 6 earthquakes from 1974 to 2003. I don't remember feeling any earthquakes so I am thinking, aftershocks from far, far away strong enough for aftershocks. I am shocked to read that Alaska is # 1. That sure would have been a very scary experience if I went hunting or fishing or just went for a swim in the river in Alaska. :eek3: :rofl:

I already knew that Alaska has more earthquakes than California so it's not surprising. I knew that Washington state gets more than Oregon does, though.

I knew it was Alaska.

South Carolina is #24. I've felt a few here at my house. Our last big destructive quake was in 1886.

Yeah I knew that Alaska is nbr 1.. :)

Arkansas is the 12th. I have felt the earthquakes and the aftershocks here before.. it was 4.7 (dogs woke me up and i looked around then all of a sudden i felt shaking.. wow! ha.. and other one was 4.3. I was sitting on computer and it just go up and down 4 times then stopped.. it was awesome feeling! lol.. :)

wow alaska gets 1.1 earthquakes a day!!!! means everyday *thud*

mine is #37 for minnesota i remmy the day of small earthquake here in minneosta.

Nobody telling the news rest about Alaska having earthquake.. I bet they are want keep quiet and avoid media about their states..

Mostly easily leak info about California... *er um..*~ :scratching my head* of course I know about CA tend number 1 but NOT? odd strange and news!

no galaxy angel.. cuz Alaska is a BIG state.. not many people live there mostly in big city and nearby towns too.. Alaska has about 640,000 residents occupying 570,374 square miles, or 365,039,104 acres of land. Alaska is the largest state, about 2.3 times the size of Texas and about one-fifth the size of the Lower 48 states. so its a remote large areas .. when they finally built the freeway in 1940's and 1950's for people to travel thru the alaska it was finally so they can send mails and news to spread throughout the state..but 1924 was start of airmail delivery to Alaska. Now you know why.. i saw this on history channel.. i thought wow it was very interesting..

I knew Alaska had more earthquakes than Calif. Only difference between two of them, is that Calif has most population in USA and Alaska is least of all population so big earthquake won't cost much in Ak compare to Calif. San Andrea is one of biggest fault line in the world, waiting to tear apart anytime from now to 10 years, this is what US geologist said on CNN news this morning and it may cost more $$$ than Katrina because we have not keep up with growth and meet the requirements. In Calif we have about average 300 earthquakes per week but in AK I have not check those weekly report yet.

Anywhere where you see tall and rocky mountains-- you know this area gets earthquakes. If you are in a FLAT, i mean FLAT, area-- you don't get earthquakes. (Midwest does get earthquakes and this baffles many geologists, and led to a discussion of a hidden hotspot... that's ANOTHER thread so I am not gonna threadjack!)

So Alaska does have PLENTY of peaky mountains (and glaciers to fall apart and shake up the ground), California got this Sierra Mountains, Washington got Casacade mountains, and forth on...

There is always geological traits that ties in to earthquakes.

:)

in NE Arkansas there is New Madrid fault line there and its FLAT there.. how u explain that?? hmm.. :)

Back