Top 10 Annoying things with your CI

Thanks for the info .. Sometimes,even I dream of having 'super' hearing beyond normal hearing ... What I expect from a CI is that I don't want to waste all my efforts on lip reading.. there are many cons about CI but I will prefer being able to spend my energy on other things in life rather than focusing on lips :|

YW. I think that you have very realistic expectations, highlands. But some lip reading might still be necessary,especially at first. But I'm sure you already know that!

YW. I think that you have very realistic expectations, highlands. But some lip reading might still be necessary,especially at first. But I'm sure you already know that!

you are right.. I will not throw lip reading into garbage box after having a CI ..it will sure serve me as a powerful tool.. especially in noise,crowd..I need 'free space' for myself instead of full lip reading all day long.. on the other hand,I'm still unable to know if I am a candidate a CI... couldn't visit an audi due hectic work these days :ugh: hope I will get dissappointing news there when I visit.. Living on gray area has tired me much..

you are right.. I will not throw lip reading into garbage box after having a CI ..it will sure serve me as a powerful tool.. especially in noise,crowd..I need 'free space' for myself instead of full lip reading all day long.. on the other hand,I'm still unable to know if I am a candidate a CI... couldn't visit an audi due hectic work these days :ugh: hope I will get dissappointing news there when I visit.. Living on gray area has tired me much..

Yes, it is very stressful to live with not knowing. Sometimes even gettingthe answer you don't want is better than no answer at all. At least then you know which way to turn.

I hope you will be able to visit your audi soon, and get the answer you want!

Actually you may not 'think' you will quit lip reading but as time goes by and if/when you become more successful with the CI you'll find you use it less and less and ... well it's one of those use it or lose it type of things. So if you intend to keep using it you may have to actually make sure you practice it regularlly. :)

Oh and highlands if you have private insurance and are very borderline you could try like I did to qualify through noise testing. I heard one sentence with just HA's in the noise test. My insurance granted me approval based on that. Now post CI I've gotten that up to about 60%. A great improvement. My problem is most situations aren't noisy enough for me to have to rely on lip reading , thus it's not a good as it once was. :)

Actually you may not 'think' you will quit lip reading but as time goes by and if/when you become more successful with the CI you'll find you use it less and less and ... well it's one of those use it or lose it type of things. So if you intend to keep using it you may have to actually make sure you practice it regularlly. :)

Oh and highlands if you have private insurance and are very borderline you could try like I did to qualify through noise testing. I heard one sentence with just HA's in the noise test. My insurance granted me approval based on that. Now post CI I've gotten that up to about 60%. A great improvement. My problem is most situations aren't noisy enough for me to have to rely on lip reading , thus it's not a good as it once was. :)

Thanks and I do get a little good results in a quiet room but life isn't quiet..in real life, I really can get little of what I hear..I guess I would do very little in noise . as for lip reading,let me see what will happen..depends on my progress :)

After CI surgery, they realized that the sound of CI and original hearing are not the same. They feel something "metal" in their head... It memorize in their head when they hear the sounds... They (former hearing) train to hear the sounds. They described to my hubby... before they were hearing and like to hear the sound of spiders walk... flies... rain... after surgery, they don't like the sound... They have to learn to accept the different sounds they were before. Interesting.

When I first read that part of your statment I thought how is that possible to hear a spider's walk?

I asked my son, my father and sisters since they all are hearing, if they could hear a spider walk? They all say nobody can hear a spider walk, spiders don't make no sounds like bees, flies, crickets. My son tells me you can hear crickets that makes click click click sounds, and bees that makes buzzing sounds, but you sure can't hear no spiders making any sounds.

Whoever told your husband this is full of crap.

Unless the spider is like some in South America where they are almost as big as mini poodles!

Unless the spider is like some in South America where they are almost as big as mini poodles!

There are spiders that big? Are you for real or just pulling my leg? :Ohno:

There are spiders that big? Are you for real or just pulling my leg? :Ohno:

Yeah, Cheri; I'm serious. I vaguely recall the largest spider in the world is somewhere in South America and is related to the tarantula and get as big as eleven or twelve inches across! Bet even I could hear guys like that coming my way! Lol!

Does this give you an idea to include this on your BBQ menu? Seriously, one of these guys could fill one of your dinner plates! Lol!

Yeah, Cheri; I'm serious. I vaguely recall the largest spider in the world is somewhere in South America and is related to the tarantula and get as big as eleven or twelve inches across! Bet even I could hear guys like that coming my way! Lol!

Does this give you an idea to include this on your BBQ menu? Seriously, one of these guys could fill one of your dinner plates! Lol!

I think I'll pass, Tousi. :P

Hey guys dont forget there is a spider thread now! But to answer Cheri's question, yes there is a spider that big. They call it one of two names, *not the scientific name*

1. Bird eating spider
2. Dinner plate spider

This particular spider goes by both names.

Now back on topic! Any complaints of a CI? Also HA?

One of the things I wish a CI could do is take the static out of the speakers lol.

I only can hear easy to black bee much louder than bumble bee and cricket is the worst one sounded like violin saw very high pitch.

Crickets and cicadas are very annoying noise makers!:giggle:

Yeah, my both boys said the same thing... they can´t stand to hear the sound of green crickets... especially my cats... It make my cats crazy... and ran after them...:giggle:

One of the things I wish a CI could do is take the static out of the speakers lol.

As far as my experience, that static you hear may likely be new sound your brain cant comprehend yet. It could be feedback from a previous condition of recruitment while you still had the ability to hear. I heard this sound too, but eventually it came through. It may be a pain, but don't avoid this sound if you hear it, let it resonate in the background. It will come through for you some time.

As far as my experience, that static you hear may likely be new sound your brain cant comprehend yet. It could be feedback from a previous condition of recruitment while you still had the ability to hear. I heard this sound too, but eventually it came through. It may be a pain, but don't avoid this sound if you hear it, let it resonate in the background. It will come through for you some time.

Actually no it is static lol, my car stereo speakers are pretty much shot from hubby blasting them so much! LOL. At first I did get a lot of static in my CI when I was trying to hear sounds. But after a year, I dont really get that anymore, the sounds I do hear sound pretty clear.

Can you define "static" you heard, I use the term distorted, my biggest problem at this point(coming up on four months).

Can you define "static" you heard, I use the term distorted, my biggest problem at this point(coming up on four months).

At first for me everything was distorted but now when it is a sound that I do not know it sounds more like the static you would hear on a bad radio station.

Back