Top 10 Annoying things with your CI

Can you define "static" you heard, I use the term distorted, my biggest problem at this point(coming up on four months).

The static I heard occured only when a specific frequency of sound not yet perceived by my brain was heard. The brain is one complex organ, it adapts well (perceiving new sound) and sometimes in a manner not as an advantage to me (new map getting dull over time).

...The brain is one complex organ, it adapts well (perceiving new sound) and sometimes in a manner not as an advantage to me (new map getting dull over time).

I agree...

A better way to say it is that the brain requires more than what the map can provide. Better yet, the brain isn't challenged anymore...thus it becomes lazy. ;)

I agree...

A better way to say it is that the brain requires more than what the map can provide. Better yet, the brain isn't challenged anymore...thus it becomes lazy. ;)

Mm.. I'll have to remember your explanation of why we need new maps the next time hearing asks me why I need new maps.

Mm.. I'll have to remember your explanation of why we need new maps the next time hearing asks me why I need new maps.

LOL Its definitely required at least annually, I can't imagine trying to adapt to a dulling map over time.

older maps may sound "dull" over time - but its sure nice after a re-mapping and everything sounds so crisp and clear and just overall BETTER!!! I love re-mapping.

Guess it is time for my re-map then, that would explain why all of a sudden I dont seem to hear as well as I first did. Seems like I cant get it loud enough as it does sound dull. Is this what you mean? lol

That would explain a lot, I like that explanation.

Guess it is time for my re-map then, that would explain why all of a sudden I dont seem to hear as well as I first did. Seems like I cant get it loud enough as it does sound dull. Is this what you mean? lol

That would explain a lot, I like that explanation.

Right, I would agree a re-map will give you another fresh start to hearing better. The dulling performance is a strange occurence, though my Audiologist has informed me of how often it occurs, she has made it a point to re-map my processor at least twice annually. (Note: those who recently were activated will need a re-map more often, then declining with time)

... (Note: those who recently were activated will need a re-map more often, then declining with time)

Correct! It is directly correlated to how long a person had a CI. The reason is simple...a person who just gotten their CI aren't given wide open maps since their brains are still trying to adapt to the whole thing. The maps are more limited at this point. As time goes by, the brain gets better and better at it and thus necessitates more frequent mappings. After a while, the brain has pretty much adapted and changes occur at a much slower rate later on. This is why one is generally remapped every year or so after the first year. Mappings will always be necessary as the brain is continually in an improvement phase abeit at a much slower rate.

Correct! It is directly correlated to how long a person had a CI. The reason is simple...a person who just gotten their CI aren't given wide open maps since their brains are still trying to adapt to the whole thing. The maps are more limited at this point. As time goes by, the brain gets better and better at it and thus necessitates more frequent mappings. After a while, the brain has pretty much adapted and changes occur at a much slower rate later on. This is why one is generally remapped every year or so after the first year. Mappings will always be necessary as the brain is continually in an improvement phase abeit at a much slower rate.

And also because sound tolerance has to be built over a period of time. People who are used to quietness cannot just suddenly be yanked to higher levels of sound, as it could cause considerable damage and trauma. The softly softly approach is best.

And also because sound tolerance has to be built over a period of time. People who are used to quietness cannot just suddenly be yanked to higher levels of sound, as it could cause considerable damage and trauma. The softly softly approach is best.

Correct! Thanks for bringing that up! I totally forgot about it and how everything appeared soooo loud at first.

Correct! Thanks for bringing that up! I totally forgot about it and how everything appeared soooo loud at first.

LOL I remember when I first put my CI in, I kept asking the ENT how I would know if I was putting it in the right place? He said, Oh you'll know. Man did I ever? It was so loud and such a strange noise at first, that I jumped right out of my seat. LOL

At first for me everything was distorted but now when it is a sound that I do not know it sounds more like the static you would hear on a bad radio station.

For me at this point I will stick with the term distorted.
I would like to thank everyone in the last ten or so post for the input and thoughts. Some are at the point with a CI that things are great, some haven't reached that yet. So your help, and more importantly giving hope is of great value, a simple idea or this is what worked for me can make a great difference.

Are any CIs sweatproof? If no, what happens when you sweat? I run every day. On weekends sometime I run for several hours and play soccer for several hours. No CI with sweat, really?? :eek2:

[And :ty: RR - I stopped reading the thread because of spider pictures!]

Are any CIs sweatproof? If no, what happens when you sweat? I run every day. On weekends sometime I run for several hours and play soccer for several hours. No CI with sweat, really??

No, none of the CIs are sweatproof against serious sweat. So, if you know you are going to do serious sweat, you have to take the processor off. That's what I do.

Are any CIs sweatproof? If no, what happens when you sweat? I run every day. On weekends sometime I run for several hours and play soccer for several hours. No CI with sweat, really?? :eek2:

They are sweatproof to a point. They do protect against some moisture, But so far I haven't gotten the nerve to try wearing it when I am continously perspiring heavily. I am too worried about ruining the processor and having to go get a new one *which my insurance may or may not pay for*. I would rather err on the side of caution here and say that like somethings that are so-called waterproof, only a very few are meant to actually be *submerged* in water or in this case sweat.

The CI implants being offered today are quite sweat proof more than hearing aids are. The Cochlear freedom for example can handle light rain for about 30 mins and there is a water resistance breathable seal for the battery cage and for the micophone cover. Thats one of the main reason Cohlear called their model the Freedom. The micophone cover will have to be changed more frequently if you sweat a great deal and there is also body oil that will in time plug up the micophone cover but at least there is protection for the micophones that will help to keep it lasting a longer time. Usually I do not wear anything on my ears like when I a mowing the lawn in summer, for example. If there is a sport that I need to wear a CI or hearing aid I would wear a sweat band to help prevent direct contact with sweat. I have directly asked this question directly to the folks that worked in the Cochlear main USA headquaters in Englewood, CO and was told not to be concerned about sweat.

They are water resistant. If you wanted to use the processor while running or playing a game which will cause alot of sweating you could try ear gear. One place to get it is here. Hearing Aid Accessories

another optioin that I've heard of is taking gloves (not sure if it was cotton or rubber/latex) and cutting off a finger to use as a 'glove' over the processor. So things can be done to protect the processor, you jsut have to use your imagination. :)

even though I have the Freedom and its water resistant, if I am doing anything (work or sports) that makes me sweat a lot (and I sweat profusely) I take a finger cot and put it over the processor and make a small slit in the very bottom so the batteries can get air. It gives me greater peace of mind. I also know some people who attach a piece of moleskin to the side of the processor that sits against the head to absorb sweat.

:ty: everyone for replies about waterproof/sweatproof CI. I guess I think unrealisticly about CI - I didn't know so many problems with moisture. Dumb for me because of course moisture is bad for CI, but I think a bit like "CI so much easier and freer than HA" and only question if CI works for me.

I never wear HA during soccer or running. But no CI worries me more. Why? I don't know because now without HA is probably the same as after surgery without CI. Maybe it seems stupid but without CI after surgery seem more vulnerable or something. :|

I am disapponted about CI and sweat and wonder of other problems with CI I don't know. I am glad the thread is helpful - thank you again.

I am disapponted about CI and sweat and wonder of other problems with CI I don't know. I am glad the thread is helpful - thank you again.

Compared to HAs, CIs (at least Freedom) are much better about sweat and moisture in general. However, you can't expect an electronic device that uses microphones to be able to totally prevent moisture problems. That ability just doesn't exist yet...maybe some day in the future. Your expectations aren't realistic if you thought you could wear it while playing soccer or other activities that generate lots of sweat.

Not wearing your CI while playing sports is not really a big deal. The only thing you have to be concerned about is contact to the implant area. I don't mean like if you get a gentle bump or tap or whatever. It has to be a significant one. That is why I mentioned one has to gauge one's risk factors about a sport or activity that may have the potential for a serious hit to the implant area. I can see playing volleyball for instance and not really worrying about such contact but playing basketball is a little more problematical. Rugby would really be foolhardy and asking for trouble. This would be true whether one had an implant or not.

As for other problems, I don't see any if one assumes all went well with the implant. Just use common sense and go about your life. A CI changes some of your life but not that much. The bottomline is whether or not hearing is important to you. If it is, then that should be the driver whether you get one or not. If is not, then maybe you shouldn't consider it. It all comes down what you want or expect from a CI and be realistic with what it can do for you and what it can't do for you.

Back