This is awful.

PlateCafe

Reaction score
(CNN) -- Six West Virginia residents have been charged with kidnapping, torturing and sexually assaulting a Charleston woman for at least a week, the Logan County Sheriff's Department said Monday.

Sheriff's deputies went Saturday to a Big Creek, West Virginia, residence in response to an anonymous tip that a woman was being held against her will, the department said in a news release.

As they spoke with a woman on the front porch, "a female inside the residence limped toward the door with her arms held out, saying, "Help me."

The 23-year-old woman had stab wounds on her left leg and bruises around her eyes, authorities said. The wounds were about a week old, the release said.

"Deputies found her with two black eyes, part of her hair had been pulled out, she had lacerations on her neck, and she had been physically, mentally and sexually abused," Logan County Sheriff W.E. Hunter said.

The victim was forced to eat rat and dog feces and drink from the toilet, according to the criminal complaint filed in magistrate court, The Associated Press reported.

Deputies arrested Frankie Brewster, 49; her son Bobby, 24; Danny J. Combs, 20, of Harts, West Virginia; and George A. Messer, 27, Karen Burton, 46, and Alisha Burton, 23, all of Chapmanville, West Virginia. All six were held Monday in lieu of $100,000 bond each, and all have asked for court-appointed public defenders, according to AP.

Charges range from kidnapping and torturing to malicious wounding and battery.

Those arrested are white and the victim is black, and the FBI plans to investigate it as a possible hate crime, according to AP. The sheriff's department requested the FBI's participation, an agency spokesman told AP

Woman tortured for at least a week, officials say - CNN.com

(CNN) -- Six West Virginia residents have been charged with kidnapping, torturing and sexually assaulting a Charleston woman for at least a week, the Logan County Sheriff's Department said Monday.

Sheriff's deputies went Saturday to a Big Creek, West Virginia, residence in response to an anonymous tip that a woman was being held against her will, the department said in a news release.

As they spoke with a woman on the front porch, "a female inside the residence limped toward the door with her arms held out, saying, "Help me."

The 23-year-old woman had stab wounds on her left leg and bruises around her eyes, authorities said. The wounds were about a week old, the release said.

"Deputies found her with two black eyes, part of her hair had been pulled out, she had lacerations on her neck, and she had been physically, mentally and sexually abused," Logan County Sheriff W.E. Hunter said.

The victim was forced to eat rat and dog feces and drink from the toilet, according to the criminal complaint filed in magistrate court, The Associated Press reported.

Deputies arrested Frankie Brewster, 49; her son Bobby, 24; Danny J. Combs, 20, of Harts, West Virginia; and George A. Messer, 27, Karen Burton, 46, and Alisha Burton, 23, all of Chapmanville, West Virginia. All six were held Monday in lieu of $100,000 bond each, and all have asked for court-appointed public defenders, according to AP.

Charges range from kidnapping and torturing to malicious wounding and battery.

Those arrested are white and the victim is black, and the FBI plans to investigate it as a possible hate crime, according to AP. The sheriff's department requested the FBI's participation, an agency spokesman told AP

Woman tortured for at least a week, officials say - CNN.com

Oh, gee ... nothin' is new! It was alwaaaays " hate " just like the rest of history from the past. When is it goin' to STOP ? Me wonder. Is anybody ever learned a bit or 2 ? :ugh:

Oh, gee ... nothin' is new! It was alwaaaays " hate " just like the rest of history from the past. When is it goin' to STOP ? Me wonder. Is anybody ever learned a bit or 2 ? :ugh:

Unfortunately a hate crimes bill will not stop violence.

Perhaps it will stop when women, like this one, decide that enough is enough and start carrying pepper spray with tear gas. If the chemical in it is colored (they make it), then it would be easier for police to find them. I gave my pepper spray to a woman that was worried about her safety, so I should buy another one so I have it on me just in case.

Oh, by the way, I'm a guy. One would think a guy wouldn't need pepper spray, but, then again, being deaf/hoh, every little bit helps!

Either that or pack a 9mm or get a black belt in a martial arts. Use a martial arts move on them, they'll never think about touching you again, as they will probably be hurt so badly that an ambulance needs to be called.

Whose safety is more important: Yours or the perps?

Surely this is way more than just a nightmare for this lady--all that she went through must be a very terrifying experience for her. My thoughts and prayers go out to her, it may take her a lonnng time to heal, but then again, she may not. I do hope the perpretators will get the maximum penalty for this heinous crime. Also, for 'labeling' these people, there's no such label fitting for this. It's sooo degrading and downright totally a heartless act on their part for what they have done. However, not much was mentioned or detailed at this time, there may be more outrageous acts that were done.

Again...my heart goes out to her and hope somehow she'll find a way eventually to find renewed strength to carry on in with her own life.

~RR

Whoa this is not right to do this to someone like her? She is a human being? She is like us?

i dont undy why they wouldnt charge them with hate crime? this doesnt make sense to me? they need better prosecutor is what i think and they will be punished for their actions! :roll: at them!

Oh dear... :(

She is only human being like us. She was treated horrible that´s because of her skin color... *shake my head*

Yeah, i heard that on CNN and i was sick to my stomach...
it was just horrendous to hear that! what is the world
coming to??
What is wrong with people anymore nowadays?????
:pissed:

That pooor lady certainly need our thoughts and prayers!!

How did you know if they're not rednecks? Have you ever visited West Virginia?

Yeah. Your point? Not seeing this as a hate crime by white trash, I'd recommend that if there are any "rednecks" that desire to make a name for themselves, catch these guys away from the cops and use a knife to slit them open like a deer, although let them be alive while doing it. Now, are we "redneck" enough?

Whoa this is not right to do this to someone like her? She is a human being? She is like us?

i dont undy why they wouldnt charge them with hate crime? this doesnt make sense to me? they need better prosecutor is what i think and they will be punished for their actions! :roll: at them!

It's because the other crimes these people are being charged with carries stiffer penalties, however, the last I seen or heard about this is that they're still looking at the possibilty of adding the 'hate' crime as well. ;)

~RR

God, this is soo awful, I can never understand why a human being would do something soo horrible and cruel.. I feel soooo sad for this woman here....:(

Back