There's never any privacy for Deaf people.

:wave:got it Booger Bender, I was replying to some back and forth between Reba and me when I wrote <in this thread> about how sometimes in locked public bathrooms, people still have tried to get in <my experience> and I was musing <for me> about geography or kids as variables <for me>.

:wave: Reba, nope it's various, intermittent
maybe a geographical thing? or an age-related thing<kids>?
:dunno:

Honestly, for my 60 years of life, traveling and living in many geographical areas, various socio-economic places, urban/suburban/rural/rustic, I've never experienced that problem.

I don't know about the research on that. :giggle:

I agree I wonder myself. I'm just gonna do the same thing back and remind her that the kitty wanted in. :naughty:
That sounds more like escalation than resolution of a problem.

I hope you're just kidding. :)

I don't understand the public bathroom problem. I've used public restrooms and porta-potties for decades, and I don't recall anyone ever opening up a locked stall door. I've even used public restrooms where the stall locks were broken, and still no one burst in on me. :dunno:

prison :giggle:

One of the biggest pet peeves (mostly just me however, I think there are others like me out there) When I go to the bathroom I expect privacy. That's common decency right? Not for my instance. I lock the door to prevent people from coming in. Since I'm deaf I can't hear if someone is knocking or impatiently trying to break in. The lock on the door has a small hole on the outside where you can use a simple paperclip to open the door. Her excuse was "the cat had to go to the bathroom" was the justification of why she must break in to the bathroom. (fyi the cat didn't need to go to the bathroom.)

Call me paranoid but why must I always have to live in fear that someone is going to barge in while taking a shit? I feel that even a public bathroom you have no privacy either. do people love watching others take a shit? it's beyond me. Time to get a door stopper for inside the bathroom.

:mad:

feels bad, man.

I've never really lock my door to defecate. I just close the door but it's not fully closed. the only one who always barge in is my dog. he just peek his face in and stared at me for a couple of seconds and left.

I never really understood why he always does that. sometimes my mom comes in to ask me something and I say - okokokokok can I shit in peace?

btw - who keeps opening door?

I find the concept of the lady going "Hmmm, this dude is deaf, so I gotta barge into the bathroom just because hes deaf. Yeah, let's do that."

I doubt it has anything to do with you being deaf, brawh.

I don't understand the public bathroom problem. I've used public restrooms and porta-potties for decades, and I don't recall anyone ever opening up a locked stall door. I've even used public restrooms where the stall locks were broken, and still no one burst in on me. :dunno:

Even after they discovered the door was locked?

That's scary. Was it just one place?

Honestly, for my 60 years of life, traveling and living in many geographical areas, various socio-economic places, urban/suburban/rural/rustic, I've never experienced that problem.

It's like the saying a murder (or a common/uncommon occurrence replacing murder) has never happened to you, therefore it never happens.

I had that problem too until I did it back to them. They freaked out and all I said was "now you know how I feel. If you stop, I'll stop."

Problem solved. p.s. get a lock for the inside of the bathroom door - like eyehooks.

It's like the saying a murder (or a common/uncommon occurrence replacing murder) has never happened to you, therefore it never happens.
I didn't say it never happens to people. I'm saying that I didn't know it was a common problem. If it's that common, it seems that I should have experienced it at some time.

If you can't hear someone knocking - chances of them forcing their way in escalates. It's happened to me.

Had that sort of problem when we only had 1 bathroom (years ago)....Now everybody has their own bathrooms...

I can understand when kiddies barge in...then again, if there is only 1 bathroom and someone has an "emergency" right then, I can see it happening if ur deaf and they need to go right away...they just can't hollar at you....

As for public restrooms, I always lock the door...and before I use them, I look for the feet under the door to make sure no one is in there before trying the door.

I would not make such a "big deal" out of it, especially if it's family....My boys, when they were little tykes, would come running in (at home) yelling, "I gotta go, I gotta go"!...(pee pee) and if all the bathrooms were being used, I'd tell them to go outside in the bushes.:giggle:....that's for guys, we women are different.

If you can't hear someone knocking - chances of them forcing their way in escalates. It's happened to me.
I'm hearing, and it's been very rare that people knock on the stall doors. Usually if they pull on it and find it locked, they move on or wait. Do people really force their way into stall doors? I mean, do they physically rip them open? That truly would be frightening. Yikes! :shock:

There's another solution of letting someone know that you are in bathroom, just sing "Food in the Rain" by Led Zeppelin real loud. No matter how bad your vocal.... I'm sure this cat will feel creepy and run away.

My experience with public bathrooms is that after people try to the door and see that it is locked, they will often knock.

Luckily I can hear low frequency sounds so I can respond. It's annoying, but I assume that the reason people are doing this is because they may be wondering if they need to get a key from management.

As for privacy issues with family -- I wonder if d/hh people have more of that issue than hearing people?

Luckily all my bathrooms have had locks. However, I use to have a real problem with my mother while I was growing up and later while visiting her. She would never knock but always just barge into my bedroom whenever she felt like it. Nothing I said had any effect on her. I use to change clothes in the bathroom because I never knew if she would barge in while I was changing in my bedroom. As far as I know she did not treat my hearing brother and sister this way.

I agree with the other posters who said to get a lock for the bathroom.

What's really embarrassing, as a deaf bloke, is to stride in assuming that the bathroom is empty and have the zip down and the <insert whatever word you use for male part> out ready for action only to find that somebody's already in there :Oops:

How big a bathroom do you have that you could walk in, unzip, and THEN discover someone else already there??

Back