The Lounge thread: Whatever you feel like......... Anything goes! Part XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Police: Walmart text is
urban legend

Last Edited: Thursday, 19 Mar 2009, 5:22 PM EDT
Created On: Thursday, 19 Mar 2009, 4:41 PM EDT

TAMPA - It's a text message that has been spreading around the country, and it has made its way here to Florida.

The text warns about gang initiations and the possibility of shootings at Walmart.

Police say this text message a hoax, and it's causing unnecessary panic in communities around the country. They say there's simply no credibility to the threat at this point.

The message, though, is spreading like wildfire. It warns that police are asking women to not go to Walmart tonight -- that there is a gang initiation, and three women will be shot.

Police say this obviously did not come from them, that it is nothing but a rumor, an urban legend text that started years ago, and for some reason has resurfaced again.

A spokewoman for the Tampa Police Department says they don't know exactly where it started, but they say they have received calls from concerned citizens.

"We have received some calls on this matter, and we do try to use technology as much as we can, including text messaging to get information out there on crime trends, but this appears to be a situation where technology is creating some panic, some unnecessary panic," said Andrea Davis, with the Tampa Police Department.

Walmart issued a statement, saying: "The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority. While we take these types of situations seriously, we regard this as being only a rumor, much like similar rumors that have circulated via email in the past."

Police say they are taking it seriously, but at this point, they have no evidence that shows there is any actual threat in this case.

Walmart text spreads; police say it's not credible

Some info about it, from My local news station.

urban legend

TAMPA - It's a text message that has been spreading around the country, and it has made its way here to Florida.

The text warns about gang initiations and the possibility of shootings at Walmart.

Police say this text message a hoax, and it's causing unnecessary panic in communities around the country. They say there's simply no credibility to the threat at this point.

The message, though, is spreading like wildfire. It warns that police are asking women to not go to Walmart tonight -- that there is a gang initiation, and three women will be shot.

Police say this obviously did not come from them, that it is nothing but a rumor, an urban legend text that started years ago, and for some reason has resurfaced again.

A spokewoman for the Tampa Police Department says they don't know exactly where it started, but they say they have received calls from concerned citizens.

"We have received some calls on this matter, and we do try to use technology as much as we can, including text messaging to get information out there on crime trends, but this appears to be a situation where technology is creating some panic, some unnecessary panic," said Andrea Davis, with the Tampa Police Department.

Walmart issued a statement, saying: "The safety and security of our customers and associates is our top priority. While we take these types of situations seriously, we regard this as being only a rumor, much like similar rumors that have circulated via email in the past."

Police say they are taking it seriously, but at this point, they have no evidence that shows there is any actual threat in this case.

My boyfriend txted me about it..thanks for letting us know about this i feel safer :)

My hubby, daughter and I are going to Oklahoma tomorrow. We're on vacation. I am so excited. :D:

This twitter thing is kinda....addicting!

I understand AD addiction. facebook addiction. but twitter??? :wtf: Here's my twitter message that I never changed since 11:49 PM Apr 27th, 2008

just joined Twitter. I don't wana hear about you taking a shit, picking your nose, etc. it should be "ARRESTED" o... 10 months agojust joined Twitter. I don't wana hear about you taking a shit, picking your nose, etc. it should be "ARRESTED" or whatever

I understand AD addiction. facebook addiction. but twitter??? :wtf: Here's my twitter message that I never changed since 11:49 PM Apr 27th, 2008

hey..well i dont mind it.. at least i wont get wrinkles!:lol:

Dont feel bad Im 25 and still getting pimples - I think it'll be quite some time before I begin getting wrinkles.

urban legend

I wonder if the original sender of this message was a Target employee. Desperate financial times call for desperate measures? :lol: All kidding aside though, I'm glad it's just a hoax.

I don't get the Twitter "phenomenon". I don't much care for Twitter. I just think it's suddenly cool cuz Ashton Kutcher and other movie stars live and breathe by it. Phhbbbt, Hollywood. :roll:

we got facebook, what next? Twitter? So old school!

I mainly use facebook, I dont think I need to be on another networking site when Im already on MySpace as well. I think that is plenty for one person...

Yes it does, why do you think I frequent FB much more than MS?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back