Teaching Pre Schoolers ASL

A clarification. Everyone seems to love little hearing signers. But the little deaf signers don't get near as much support.

A clarification. Everyone seems to love little hearing signers. But the little deaf signers don't get near as much support.

Faire Jour said it. But she does not want her child to be one?

Deaf children do get support...if they have good speech skills..

Yep, my point exactly. The little deaf signers are looked down on.

That is what I don't get. I wonder if Oral Professionals feels if it is harmful that I am teaching the hearing preschoolers ASL. If they feel it will delay their speech.

That is what I don't get. I wonder if Oral Professionals feels if it is harmful that I am teaching the hearing preschoolers ASL. If they feel it will delay their speech.

To be perfectly honest with you, Babyblue, I don't get it either.

Reminds me of something I was just telling a friend who is here. Last week, my nephew brought my 2 year old great-nephew by to visit. He was looking at my birds and saying ______ birdies. I can usually understand everything the kid says, but the word he was using had me puzzled. So I asked his dad, what is he saying to the birds? His dad replied, "Oh, that's hello in Japanese."
I guess maybe they shouldn't allow him to learn things like that cuz it will impede his learning of English.:roll:

Babyblue - Frankly, I do not imagine that your intended "Oral Professionals", concern themselves. Your class, although with its merits, is not their enitre world, nor is it really only ASL.

To be perfectly honest with you, Babyblue, I don't get it either.

Reminds me of something I was just telling a friend who is here. Last week, my nephew brought my 2 year old great-nephew by to visit. He was looking at my birds and saying ______ birdies. I can usually understand everything the kid says, but the word he was using had me puzzled. So I asked his dad, what is he saying to the birds? His dad replied, "Oh, that's hello in Japanese."
I guess maybe they shouldn't allow him to learn things like that cuz it will impede his learning of English.:roll:

I agree.

That is like teaching a Spanish Speaking person English!! :Ohno: That will impede their Spanish Language

What a crock!

Babyblue - Frankly, I do not imagine that your intended "Oral Professionals", concern themselves. Your class, although with its merits, is not their enitre world, nor is it really only ASL.

Can you recognize sarcasm when you see it? :roll:

Which I was merely using it to make a point. Not something to debate about.

:)

Can you recognize sarcasm when you see it? :roll:

Which I was merely using it to make a point. Not something to debate about.

:)

Babyblue - Can you say with certainty that on every occassion when sarcasm is used that you recognise it?

He was looking at my birds and saying ______ birdies. I can usually understand everything the kid says, but the word he was using had me puzzled.

Sounds like a cool kid.

Which word? (pronunciation form below)
cone-nee-chee-wah
oh-ha-yo

PS. What birds do you own?

loml, a suggestion if I may..
As a spectator, I've been observing and re-reading the posts in this thread. After my initial post warranted my inferred conclusions, I thought that there was seemingly a "witch" hunt going on in which the parties were scrutinizing Babyblue over her ASL teaching methods.

Now I am slowly coming to realization that this actually may not be the case.

In advance I apologize if this may seem intruding, however if you care that I may pass my opinion, which is completely out of goodwill:

The method in which the manner of your speaking format online, is mistakenly being taken (by some) as a curly, sharp, piercing tone.

Usually I don't really comment on the format another speaker responds to others on any forum, but now when I realize it affects the manner in which the responses are to be conceived, this is when something needs to be said, for the sake of the greater good.

I noticed you have a habit of repeating the poster's name that you are quoting often times, this being the most testifying evidence of all cases presented. Often in the online forum and bbs community, for the most part we do not address the username of the person we wish to speak directly to, when quoting. The quote function generally takes care of the needs for that, if it is already there.

But when garnering their attention twice, per the following example, this is what is going on:

naisho1 said:
naisho2 said:
So to say, the sky is blue and earth is round. The grass is green and the hills are brown.

naisho2 - the grass is green and the water is blue. The ground is brown.

What I'm seeing this is in this format (and probably a majority of other posters as well, possibly some in this thread already)

naisho1 said:
Hey naisho2 listen -
Again naisho2, I wanted to tell you, the grass is green and the water is blue. The ground is brown.

It's speaking to them twice, which kind of draws an unintentional conveyance in the format of speech presented.. Then the responses stemming from that may seem somewhat hostile, but I can assure you it all is in the form of self-defense.

Just wanted to drop my :2c: if you read through it all. If it were honestly respect towards the speaker each time it was done previously, you have an unconditional respect for respecting others from not just me, but perhaps others who may see this as well. Granted, what damage is already done, especially in the direction the thread has been heading the past few pages. But here is hoping for the better.

Sounds like a cool kid.

Which word? (pronunciation form below)
cone-nee-chee-wah
oh-ha-yo

PS. What birds do you own?

loml, a suggestion if I may..
As a spectator, I've been observing and re-reading the posts in this thread. After my initial post warranted my inferred conclusions, I thought that there was seemingly a "witch" hunt going on in which the parties were scrutinizing Babyblue over her ASL teaching methods.

Now I am slowly coming to realization that this actually may not be the case.

In advance I apologize if this may seem intruding, however if you care that I may pass my opinion, which is completely out of goodwill:

The method in which the manner of your speaking format online, is mistakenly being taken (by some) as a curly, sharp, piercing tone.

Usually I don't really comment on the format another speaker responds to others on any forum, but now when I realize it affects the manner in which the responses are to be conceived, this is when something needs to be said, for the sake of the greater good.

I noticed you have a habit of repeating the poster's name that you are quoting often times, this being the most testifying evidence of all cases presented. Often in the online forum and bbs community, for the most part we do not address the username of the person we wish to speak directly to, when quoting. The quote function generally takes care of the needs for that, if it is already there.

But when garnering their attention twice, per the following example, this is what is going on:

What I'm seeing this is in this format (and probably a majority of other posters as well, possibly some in this thread already)

It's speaking to them twice, which kind of draws an unintentional conveyance in the format of speech presented.. Then the responses stemming from that may seem somewhat hostile, but I can assure you it all is in the form of self-defense.

Just wanted to drop my :2c: if you read through it all. If it were honestly respect towards the speaker each time it was done previously, you have an unconditional respect for respecting others from not just me, but perhaps others who may see this as well. Granted, what damage is already done, especially in the direction the thread has been heading the past few pages. But here is hoping for the better.

It was cone-nee-chee-wah. I kept trying to translate it phonetically into something in English because I did not expect him to be speaking Japanese!:giggle: He has 4 older borthers and sisters, and he picks stuff up from them so quickly!

I have 2 parakeets.

Faire Jour said it. But she does not want her child to be one?

I'm so f^@%ing sick and tired of this! MY DAUGHTER USES ASL. IT IS HER LANGUAGE! Get over yourselves. You want to see me an an oralist or audist because it makes you feel better. It's just not true.

I'm so f^@%ing sick and tired of this! MY DAUGHTER USES ASL. IT IS HER LANGUAGE! Get over yourselves. You want to see me an an oralist or audist because it makes you feel better. It's just not true.

Recognizing an audist doesn't make anyone feel better, except perhaps another audist. Most consider it to be a saddening experience indeed.

Swearing at people is not polite. :nono:

Back