Teaching Pre Schoolers ASL

Jiro - First let's agree on a defintion of purest form shall we.

ok. I'm all ears
ear.gif

So loml is asking Babyblue if she is using ASL with them and Babyblue says she is...

I think there is a little bit of confusion here...

Just trying to figure out where the confusion came from. Must have missed it.

So loml is asking Babyblue if she is using ASL with them and Babyblue says she is...

I think there is a little bit of confusion here...

Just trying to figure out where the confusion came from. Must have missed it.

She claims that I am not using the purest form. And it is insulting to the D/deaf community that I am teaching my kids "words" in ASL.

She claims that I am not using the purest form. And it is insulting to the D/deaf community that I am teaching my kids "words" in ASL.

Did it start where u said you speak and sign at the same time or u mean speak and then sign?

Maybe that's where the confusion stems from?

waiting.... waiting...... waiting.... I'm not getting any younger, loml....
gerg.gif

ok. I'm all ears
ear.gif

Jiro - Cute smiley!

Here is my definition, of course based on my experience.

As taught by Deaf people, in my experience, who identify themselves Deaf. No voice, ASL syntax. As prescribed in the "little green book". Do you know the one I mean?

That then is truly language is it not?

waiting.... waiting...... waiting.... I'm not getting any younger, loml....
gerg.gif

lol

and an addition to my previous post...complete immersion for the learner in the language....

Your thoughts??

Jiro - Cute smiley!

As taught by Deaf people, in my experience, who identify themselves Deaf. No voice, ASL syntax. As prescribed in the "little green book". Do you know the one I mean?

That is what I was always told as well.

It is still using ASL.

How are u using the ASL syntax while voicing...is your voice following the syntax of ASL? Just curious cuz I just cant do it. When I voice and sign the same time, my signing follows the English syntax not the ASL syntax. I have tried and tried but for me to sign using ASL syntax, I must have my voice off.

Jiro - Cute smiley!

the purest form of ASL is 100% signing without any voice - Yes I understand as that is the definition of purest form of ASL. But what does it matter? it's deaf people! Some deafies and audiologists do "speak" (as in mouthing words) along with signing to make communication easier or to add emphasis or to be expressive. Here's why I don't agree with teaching in "purest" form of ASL... here's an analogy -

The hearing person "talks"... so in its purest form - the hearing should talk without using any body gestures for the sake of complete immersion for the learner in the language...

You get my drift? ASL is a VISUALLY-expressive language. It is accompanied by facial expression + body gestures + mouthing the words + etc. Why? because we are not a robot.

24xfg1w.gif

the purest form of ASL is 100% signing without any voice - Yes I understand as that is the definition of purest form of ASL. But what does it matter? it's deaf people! Some deafies and audiologists do "speak" (as in mouthing words) along with signing to make communication easier or to add emphasis or to be expressive. Here's why I don't agree with teaching in "purest" form of ASL... here's an analogy -

The hearing person "talks"... so in its purest form - the hearing should talk without using any body gestures for the sake of complete immersion for the learner in the language...

You get my drift? ASL is a VISUALLY-expressive language. It is accompanied by facial expression + body gestures + mouthing the words + etc. Why? because we are not a robot.

24xfg1w.gif

I agree with the mouthing of some words...

How are u using the ASL syntax while voicing...is your voice following the syntax of ASL? Just curious cuz I just cant do it. When I voice and sign the same time, my signing follows the English syntax not the ASL syntax. I have tried and tried but for me to sign using ASL syntax, I must have my voice off.

OK

I am using basic words. Such as snack time I will sign eat. or if they want water they will sign to me water.

I am not signing to them in full sentences.

as for me teaching them the songs for graduation I am using ASL. I can sing the songs and use ASL.

Should I just call it baby signs? Home signs? When I am using an ASL sign to teach them a specific word.

OK

I am using basic words. Such as snack time I will sign eat. or if they want water they will sign to me water.

as for me teaching them the songs for graduation I am using ASL. I can sing the songs and use ASL.

Should I just call it baby signs? Home signs? When I am using an ASL sign to teach them a specific word.

I would call it baby signing. Just my opinion.

OK

Gotcha..u are using beginning ASL with them. Just like beginning English with kids...using in one word phrases.

24xfg1w.gif

Jiro - Not sure why you are tossing in the Robot buisiness??

Okay, so you have a little mouthing and speaking happening in your view of ASL, within= the context of ASL syntax, right? I can accept that.

I was under the impression from Babyblues' description of her program, and please correct me if I am wrong, that she is speaking English and using ASL signs within the English(syntax) sentence. For me this is not ASL and according to my teachings from the Deaf community should not be hmmm what is the word...."promoted" as ASL.

Jiro - Not sure why you are tossing in the Robot buisiness??

Okay, so you have a little mouthing and speaking happening in your view of ASL, within= the context of ASL syntax, right? I can accept that.

I was under the impression from Babyblues' description of her program, and please correct me if I am wrong, that she is speaking English and using ASL signs within the English(syntax) sentence. For me this is not ASL and according to my teachings from the Deaf community should not be hmmm what is the word...."promoted" as ASL.

well.. I mean... c'mon... they're pre-k'ers... a toddler... No need to get all hot and angry about this. :cool2:

Back