Teaching Pre Schoolers ASL

Gotcha..u are using beginning ASL with them. Just like beginning English with kids...using in one word phrases.

exactly!!

It works great on potty training kids too.

They will sign to me in a closed fist. and wave it to me. They don't quite have the fine motor skills to make it in to the T with closed fist yet. But it does allow me to let them goooo. potty! :giggle:

well.. I mean... c'mon... they're pre-k'ers... a toddler... No need to get all hot and angry about this. :cool2:

Jiro- This is again another example of one dimensional interaction of people. I was never "hot and angry", as you are suggesting. I simply do not agree with making the claim of "teaching ASL". Would you want me to claim I am teaching you the English language with the occasional English word tossed into an ASL sentence? When children are taught English, they don't simply get the occasional word.

These little people are prime for learning a complete new language, why not provide them the opportunity?

Babyblue- Maybe immersion is something that your administration would consider. JAT

Last edited:
Jiro- This is again another example of one dimensional interaction of people. I was never "hot and angry", as you are suggesting. I simply do not agree with making the claim of "teaching ASL". Would you want me to claim I am teaching you the English language with the occasional English word tossed into an ASL sentence? When children are taught English, they don't simply get the occasional word.

These little people are prime for learning a complete new language, why not provide them the opportunity?

Babyblue- Maybe immersion is something that your administration would consider. JAT

Then what in the heck do you want me to call it?

Hand signals??

Then what in the heck do you want me to call it?

Hand signals??

Babyblue - Do you really expect me to tell you what to call it?

I am sharing with you my perspective, based on my experiences and teachings, that is all.

Babyblue - Do you really expect me to tell you what to call it?

I am sharing with you my perspective, based on my experiences and teachings, that is all.

And I have my own teaching method as well. Based on my experience and results.

Just as I suspected. :roll:

You are here to entice and troll me on this thread with a completely different agenda.

If you want to start a thread about your "method" and what you think.
You don't even agree with ASL period. Pure form or not. So it doesn't matter if I do it full time, part time, immersing or whatnot. You will still disagree to what I am doing. Due to the fact you have your own ways.

If you do not like what I am doing....

I think it is time for me to show you the door. :wave:

door-close1.jpg
door-close2.jpg

And I have my own teaching method as well. Based on my experience and results.

Just as I suspected. :roll:

You are here to entice and troll me on this thread with a completely different agenda.

If you want to start a thread about your "method" and what you think.
You don't even agree with ASL period. Pure form or not. So it doesn't matter if I do it full time, part time, immersing or whatnot. You will still disagree to what I am doing. Due to the fact you have your own ways.

If you do not like what I am doing....

I think it is time for me to show you the door. :wave:

Babyblue - I thought we were having a discussion and taking this opportunity to learn from each other.

*sigh*

Gotcha..u are using beginning ASL with them. Just like beginning English with kids...using in one word phrases.

Exactly. One does not speak to hearing children in complete and complicated English sentences when they are babies, and one does not speak to deaf children in complete and complicated sentences using ASL when they are babies.

Hearing parents do the very same thing when they say to their hearing child: "See doggie?" instead of "See that black and white dog over to your right playing with a ball?"

Please, people, get real.

Babyblue - I thought we were having a discussion and taking this opportunity to learn from each other.

*sigh*

Sounds good in print, but learning only takes place when both parties are capable of opening their minds and seeing another perspective. Obviously, that is not the case here. One is learning, and teaching. The other is selling.

Babyblue - So you are comfortable with endng this discussion with the ASL sign for door? :roll:

How about ending it with this sign:

**five hands at temples, moving forward in front of the forehead as the five hands draw together**

And there were two signs in Babyblue's photos. *Door* + *closed*. So much for your expertise on ASL.

How about ending it with this sign:

**five hands at temples, moving forward in front of the forehead as the five hands draw together**

And there were two signs in Babyblue's photos. *Door* + *closed*. So much for your expertise on ASL.

:giggle:

Babyblue - It would be great to see your ASL songs with your pre-schoolers. Perhaps with permission, you could put up a little video on YouTube.

Back