Teacher Tells Kids There Is No Santa Claus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parents overreacted.

Still... I think it's a bit weird and somewhat underhanded for a teacher to tell kids that there is no Santa Claus. What good can come out of that? Kids (who believed in Santa) find out eventually anyway. Is it really better to find out now at 7 than at 9 years old?

I have to ask, what good will come out of lying to children that Santa Clause exist? Parents don't do it for the children so much as to make themselves feel good, the kids would be just as happy mythical figure or not.

This Santa Claus fantasy needs to stop. It's making kids spoiled because they expect gifts. I'd prefer that kids to learn about the meanings of Santa Claus & Grinch rather than associating Santa Claus with toys toys toys.

We're probably the only kids in the world who have 24/7 access to clean water, food on table, and cable & internet. I certainly won't be coddling my own kids with gifts and toys. I refuse to disillusion them with such silly notion.

I didn't get much or any for Christmas even though my parents can easily afford to. Instead we participated in the spirit of Santa Claus by giving gifts to unfortunates.

:hmm: That's food for thought.

I got tons of toys for xmas as a kid but I don't need a lot of stuff and I'd rather celebrate it with people that I enjoy being around than get tons of gifts. The book "How the Grinch stole Christmas" has a deeper meaning than some would get.

I don't think an individual teacher has the right to take away that magic, innocence, etc that is Christmas, something they will soon (the children) outgrow themselves and without reacting as if they were told a big lie which is something a few adults are saying.....

Alright, I will volunteer as the nutjob. :) The teacher should be terminated. Period. Not "because she didn't tell a lie" but because she intentionally crossed a line. She knew what she was getting into and did it anyway.

And besides she lied. Santa DOES exist **twinkling wink**

In case you are bringing me a baby female Poodle, you should know I don't have a chimney. :wave:

It's okay Bott- the elves always come and scope it put before Santa comes with the gifts.

I think it's over-reaction on the part of the newspaper and district.
aren't there more significant things going on in education than this?

Bit harsh for teacher do that. I think just warning don't do it again and say sorry to kids and say she was wrong to say that.

Christmas should be magical, Santa part of that. Santa is about being kind, giving, forgiving, respect and thinking of other people.

The teacher should left that up to the parents to tell their children.

I believe in Santa!! I sure hope he brings me what I really, really need! :) I have been real good this year. :D

Kids usually learn that in school from other kids. I know my younger child knew about as soon as her older sister found out.

They both grew up to be reasonably normal people.

I can understand kids learning their no Santa from older kids , but teachers. It's not their place to do this. The teacher stepped out their bounty . I agree with people that is up to the parents to do this. I wonder how this teacher would like someone else doing their job as a parent. The parents that made death threats should go to jail , as I heard this a crime to made a death threat against another person.

I have to ask, what good will come out of lying to children that Santa Clause exist? Parents don't do it for the children so much as to make themselves feel good, the kids would be just as happy mythical figure or not.

None, but.... would you really want to be the one to dictate other people's children's reality? Are you going around telling random kids "THERE IS NO SANTA CLAUS!", because "it's better for them"?

It is not the teacher's place to tell the kids something like that. If my son had been there, I would have been furious.

There are somethings a teacher can't say to kids this young and better left to the parents. One would be: There is no God. Another would be: There is no Santa/Easter Bunny/ Tooth Fairy. Why destroy something by going outside the teachers responsibility.
Nevertheless, I favor a supension and not a termination. That would do much to educate all the other teachers to be careful with their opinion.

I do not think the teacher should be suspended , that is going to far. The teacher should just be told to leave this up to the parents and do their job as a teacher. If the teacher said there was no God that could call for a suspension.
Not that I believe in God.

I agree. There is no innocence in telling lies to the children too as well. Santa Claus is a mythical figure and that should have been made clear from day one instead of telling them if they are good or naughty and that they'll get presents or a lump of coal.

Seriously, the parents overreacted and should be severely reprimanded for using such foul language. Christmas is about love, not hate.

You nailed it well. I'll add something to say.

I still remember how kids teased another kids who still believed in Santa Claus and bullied them. Some 8-12 years old kids didn't know he is a mythical character until they reached their teen-hood. I am one of them and I still have my minor scar from being humiliated. :( If I have my kids, I will just tell them the truth about Seasonal Christmas and Christianity's Christmas. I don't like being tested for my intelligence or anybody's. It's just plainly mean, IMO.

The teacher is wrong. There is a Santa Claus.
Just read the editorial "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus" to know why.

It is not the teacher's place to tell the kids something like that. If my son had been there, I would have been furious.

Then don't lie to your child. Children are full of imagination, but they shouldn't be taught to believe in a particular person if you don't believe in it to start with.

You teach your child to not lie, yet you lie to your child. Hence the term, hypocrisy. The teacher made a mistake in sharing the truth, but not because it was the truth, it was because of how irrational the parents may become.

Children should be able to enjoy the stories of Santa Claus, just like they enjoy the stories of Harry Potter. The magic is there, and it exists with the stories of Santa Claus. Yet they know Harry Potter does not exist in the real world.

Why should an exception be made with Santa Claus? He is a part of the popular Christmas folklore. The fact is, people treat him as if he's more real than Jesus Christ himself.

Saint Nicholas existed centuries ago, but he is long dead. His spirit is still in our hearts and minds. Corporations like Coca-Cola popularized his legacy and turned it into a commercialized blitz. The monster gets bigger every year to the point where it's completely devoid of any true spirits of Christmas.

I still celebrate Christmas the way I used to as a child. It's by getting together with family and having a feast. We do exchange a few gifts, but that's not my favourite part of Christmas. It's being with my family that is my favourite part. Celebrating Christmas is a way of reaffirming my kindness and love for the others and the life that we have come to cherish that I practice all year long.

Lol, I don't know how the rest of you grew up, but even as a four year old, I thought the idea of a bunch of reindeer on the roof and a fat man in a red suit traveling all over the world in a single night was a bunch of baloney. Nobody "told me" Santa wasn't real. The whole idea was impossible for me to believe in the first place. But then again, I have always had a hard time believing in a lot of incredible and crazy shit that many other people believe.

This teacher did nothing wrong. She didn't do anything right. But she did nothing wrong, either.

Then don't lie to your child. Children are full of imagination, but they shouldn't be taught to believe in a particular person if you don't believe in it to start with.

You teach your child to not lie, yet you lie to your child. Hence the term, hypocrisy. The teacher made a mistake in sharing the truth, but not because it was the truth, it was because of how irrational the parents may become.

Children should be able to enjoy the stories of Santa Claus, just like they enjoy the stories of Harry Potter. The magic is there, and it exists with the stories of Santa Claus. Yet they know Harry Potter does not exist in the real world.

Why should an exception be made with Santa Claus? He is a part of the popular Christmas folklore. The fact is, people treat him as if he's more real than Jesus Christ himself.

Saint Nicholas existed centuries ago, but he is long dead. His spirit is still in our hearts and minds. Corporations like Coca-Cola popularized his legacy and turned it into a commercialized blitz. The monster gets bigger every year to the point where it's completely devoid of any true spirits of Christmas.

I still celebrate Christmas the way I used to as a child. It's by getting together with family and having a feast. We do exchange a few gifts, but that's not my favourite part of Christmas. It's being with my family that is my favourite part. Celebrating Christmas is a way of reaffirming my kindness and love for the others and the life that we have come to cherish that I practice all year long.

THIS post. Exactly. Particularly the bold part.

God forbid some of you actually listen to reason. :roll:

This teacher did nothing wrong. She didn't do anything right. But she did nothing wrong, either.

Yet no one is saying anything about how the parents reacted and the lovely language that they used to describe her and what they'll do to her.

Yet no one is saying anything about how the parents reacted and the lovely language that they used to describe her and what they'll do to her.

Eh, you can't expect people who protect and cherish ignorance to behave with any sort of moral fortitude.

A lump of coal for all of them, I say!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back