Tattoos And Piercing Are Known To Cause...

A recent study suggests that people who have certain types of heart disease may be at greater risk for developing a heart infection after body piercing.

Researchers studied a 25-year-old-man who became very sick several weeks after having his tongue pierced. He'd developed a heart infection known as endocarditis, which most likely occurred because bacteria from his mouth got into his bloodstream and traveled to his heart as a result of the piercing.

The man had a history of aortic stenosis, a congenital heart disease that involves the heart valve through which blood travels to the aorta. People who have aortic stenosis and others who have abnormal heart valves are more likely to develop infections like endocarditis after procedures like dental surgery that cause a shower of bacteria to enter the bloodstream. Because of this risk, a doctor will usually prescribe an antibiotic beforehand as a precaution.

Though this study, published in the journal Emeging Infectious Diseases, doesn't completely prove a relationship between body piercing and endocarditis, the researchers recommend that people with aortic stenosis and other similar heart diseases should be prescribed antibiotics as a precaution to prevent infection if they are planning body piercing.

What does this mean to you? If you're thinking about getting pierced, do your research first. Find out what risks are involved, and how best to protect yourself from infections and other complications. If you have a medical condition, ask your doctor if there are any special precautions you should take beforehand.

Reviewed by: Steve Dowshen, MD
Date reviewed: September 2002

http://kidshealth.org/teen/misc/body_piercing_news.html

golly, I wanted to get a tatoo...I have found a design but I wanna put it on my lower back. now after reading this article. maybe I should wait after having my kiddos then get a tatoo.. darn I dont wanna wait. haha.

downing said:
golly, I wanted to get a tatoo...I have found a design but I wanna put it on my lower back. now after reading this article. maybe I should wait after having my kiddos then get a tatoo.. darn I dont wanna wait. haha.

Then don't wait. Don't let that article scare you. There is a better chance of you being hit by lightning while being eatin' by a shark. Then that happening to you.Take your time findind the tattoo shop. Your In VA correct?? This summer take a drive into Amish country PA. Visit Paradise Lost Tattoo in Kutztown PA. http://www.paradiselosttattoos.com/ The Artist Chris Haas is Awesome. The shop is clean. I have his work on me. :thumb:

I would love to have small rose tattoo on back of my shoulder and little diamond piercing on my nose but I'm toooooo chicken......... :lol:

All what I have is 2 piercing on each ears and one small diamond on my teeth to show "sparking" off. :lol:

Anyway, good thread here!

I read magazine somewhere last year saying that computed tomography and
Radiotherapy could harm patient who have tattoos. :ugh2: I dont know either it's true or not. (I has no time to go google to find out. I will when I has time).

It says that computed tomography, Radiotherapy, Cat Scan etc could burn the skin where the tattoos ink are on. :dunno:

gee thanks for the link. my tatoo is gonna be celtic design of a shamrock. this artist chris does celtic stuff too. I wonder how far to his studio from northern va. hmmm?

Liebling:-))) said:
I would love to have small rose tattoo on back of my shoulder and little diamond piercing on my nose but I'm toooooo chicken.........

Me too honestly I have always wanted a little small rose on the bottom of my leg for a long time but I chicken out also. My sister ^Angel^ told me full details of the time she had her's done and I am so scared to get one myself. :whistle:

Good thread in here.

Almost full of my family got tattoos. They told me its not too bad and having to ask bunches of questions people who do tattoo and pierce... To making sure how safe they are. but I only trust TWO places in my home, Michigan. I got my tongue pierced in May 2003. And I got my tattoo when I was 15 yrs old when my daddy approved it because he trust his best friend, he worked at Tattoo place but he left. Im thinking abt to getting my nose pierce AGAIN. I used to having my nose pierce but it closed during I was sleeping ugh.. Also Im thinking abt to getting more tattoos. But I HATE NEEDLES so much... But I want more of tattos and one more of pierce but maybe more pierce on my ears. Only two each a ear. :)

Why tattoo? I find them not my taste. It gets ugly as we get older, skin become older while tattoo became fade and dull picture. I don't understand why anyone want tattoo?

i have a tattoo and want at least 2-3 more at some point down the road and yup gotta always research the place and know if the place is clean, uses sterile equipment and etc etc and ofc ask questions!

jazzy said:
Why tattoo? I find them not my taste. It gets ugly as we get older, skin become older while tattoo became fade and dull picture. I don't understand why anyone want tattoo?

That is so true! I saw my friend's Freddie tattoo and it seems fade it was hard to read the letters that he had on his arm. And he is somewhat around 65 or so years old. :)

jazzy said:

Tattoos can be touched up when you get older. Tattoos are a choice. They express individuality. I chose my Tattoos to express he differences in my personality or the years. Each tattoo represents something different about me...

Sabrina said:
nail salon and removal hair, I wonder if their instruments are not sterilized. When I went to Nail Salon and saw the instruments were in the blue liquid jar. I hope, they are killing germs.

Same with Hair Salon, the combs and brushes are in the jars. I want all the instruments to be completely sterilized before they can use the same clean 100% instrument to the next clients/customers.
All manicure, pedicure and hair styling tools must be cleaned and then totally submersed in Barbarsol (blue liquid), or else disposed of after use. That means, after each client, or after it has been contaminated (such as dropping on the floor). Items such as orange sticks and wooden nail files must be broken in half and then thrown away after use. The manicurist must spray her hands with antibacterial spray before and after each client, and each time she throws something in the trash. The table must be totally wiped down after each client.

The hair stylist should put a paper strip around your neck so that your skin is never in direct contact with the drape.

If you ever observe someone not following the rules of sanitation, you can contact the state licensing board and make a report.

Cheri said:
Yes I agree that's a very good question, I remembered when I took my boys to get their hair cuts and I noticed the hairstylist dropped a comb on the floor and she picked it up and put it on the side, used another comb instead. But I am also wondering about the same thing do they clean the combs and brushes. I wouldn't my boys to have lice. yikes.
If a hair stylist or barber observes lice or nits on a client's head, they cannot procede with the service. Therefore, they should not be spreading lice.
Most kids catch lice in the school environment.

One interesting note about lice. They actually prefer clean hair to oily hair because they can cling to clean hair better than hair shafts that are greasy or covered with shine product.

As of October last year, this was the status of tattoo parlors in South Carolina:

"...There aren't any legal tattoo parlors in Charleston, because a state law that will allow them in South Carolina for the first time in more than 40 years won't take effect until health regulations are drafted...

...This summer, state lawmakers voted to lift South Carolina's ban on tattoo parlors in order to bring the industry out into the open and make tattoo parlors subject to health regulations and state oversight. Oklahoma is the only state that still bans tattooing.

Under the South Carolina law, minors will be prohibited from getting tattoos, anyone 18 to 21 will need parental permission, disposable needles must be used, and tattoo parlors will be subject to regulations that the Department of Health and Environmental Control will draft."

I have small rose tatoo on my right ankle due to respect my grandpa since he has been into rose shows, grew roses/flowers and sell some those. Also in my summertimes when I grew up, I often go traveling with my grandpa, grandma, and my youngest aunt (my mom's youngest sister who is two yrs older than I am) and they usually took me and my aunt to see rose shows. I love those. Thats why my rose tatoo reminds me of my grandpa (which I used to call him "Papaw" :lol: Also I have three ear pierces on both of my ears that total 6 as three on each. I dont have any problems... I do clean alot of times when I take my earrings off.

PurrMeow

extra loving care

I've got four tattoos, and have had a few CT scans, Xrays, whathave you...

All my tattoos are dandy and happy. :)

Anybody that says the Radiology stuff will harm the tattoos are blowing hot air up ya. :P

As for maintaining tattoos, they'll look very good for years and years without touch ups, IF you take certain steps.

1. Don't expose them to the sun. The sun will fade the colors. (If they're in a location that's easily exposed to the sun, use a good sunblocking lotion on them).

2. Put a good moistiurizing cream on the tattoos, that will help keep the skin supple and healthy which means the tattoos will maintain their look very nicely. It also means the colors will maintain the freshness much longer as well.

Those two steps are the main ones to take.

And after all, those two steps are actually, what you should be doing for your entire skin anyway. It'll keep you looking younger and fresher. :D So technically... just a bit of extra loving care will keep everything happy. :)

sulwyn

Good idea.

Meg said:
When I go for my pedicures, I bring my own things. This salon gives you a free kit so you use that everytime so they dont have to share that with other customers. I feel safe with that.

I never thought about bringing my own pedicure kit when I go for a pedicure. I always felt inky when I see the small foot spa wondering if there are germs in there from someone who had infections or fungus in their nails. Sometimes they don't seem clean, and I wouldn't get a pedicure there. I always watch the people at the salon to see if they clean the tub after doing a pedicure. But bringing my own kit sounds like a great idea and less worries for me. Thanks for sharing that! :)

Back