Take Your Shoe Off Please!!!

Take your shoes off?

• Yes

Votes: 40 90.9%
  • No

Votes: 4 9.1%

• Total voters
Carpet has no feelings. People do. Carpet can be replaced. People cannot.

I disagree. check the prices on replacing carpets, shampooing carpet and get back to me. it is more about respecting to keep the house clean, none of my guests complain about it. they are more than happy to take their shoes off.

As long as I can take off my shoes in my own home lol.. I don't want other people take off their shoes in my home if they gonna have smelly feet! I would have to spray their feet with perfume! lol

I voted yes, out of respecting the persons wishes. I don't think its rude, bec they probably want clean carpet and no dirty inside.

Interesting.

Many posters mention respecting the homeowner and respecting the house. I haven't read any posts about respecting the guests. It seems like all the focus is on the floors and not on the people who are invited in. Most curious. I really expected to read more posts from people saying they cared more about their visitors than material things.

Well, guests and homeowners should respect each other the same... It should be both host and guest.

It's respect in manner way.

It's no respect if host tried to show her respect and receive no respect from guest in return.

We as host know how to treat guests in manner way...

I would like to share you all about German Tradition how to treat guests in host's house.

We (host) decorate the table with candles to impress our guests. Serve coffee with homemade cakes... and make guests feel comfortable... conversation... follow evening snack... decoration sliced sausages, cheeses, etc. then have glass of wine and relax conversation... during winter time... watch fire place...

The guests brought packet of coffee beans, bottle of wine or flower to treat the host of the house... some candies or little money for children...

I told my friends to not bring anything but happy to have them as my guests next time... They choose to ignore it and give us bunch of flowers, bottle of wine or packet coffee bean... They don't like to come with empty hands... It's German Tradition...

Is it good manner if guest walk in with mud and wet shoes ?

Is it good manner if guest walk in with dirty shoes without whip their dirty shoes from mat?

Is it good manner if guest walk in and touch anything and nosey anything.... without ask us first?

Is it good manner when guest complaint that we have pet in our house?

Is it good manner when guest complaint about foods we offer them?

No way... Guests should show their respect toward their host as the same the host should show their respect toward their guests as well.

I disagree. check the prices on replacing carpets, shampooing carpet and get back to me. it is more about respecting to keep the house clean, none of my guests complain about it. they are more than happy to take their shoes off.

Yes, the same with me, too. I really have no problem with guests who know themselves how to behave manner way and know how to show their respect to us.

I agree with you, Reba.

I'm not comfortable taking my shoes off in the home of someone who is only an acquaintance or a friendly neighbor... although, sure, I will do it if it is requested.

I wouldn't want a guest to feel obligated to remove their shoes, either. So, as much as I would love to keep my carpets clean, I much more prefer my guests to be comfortable.

Carpet has no feelings. People do. Carpet can be replaced. People cannot.

err.. *psst* you're sounded being rude!
whoever the person ask you politely and take your shoes off their property as long their carpet. Doesn't want to take mark of stained from your shoes marked.. Doesn't matter it cost them expensive and to replace it new one. Are you willing pay full of portion the cost and to replace their carpet?

As long, if you wish guest stay shoes on and scrubbing all over your carpet and one day become into darker stained marked on it. Are you willing replace it immediately? (hmmmm) I do not think so..
:giggle:

err.. *psst* you're sounded being rude!
whoever the person ask you politely and take your shoes off their property as long their carpet. Doesn't want to take mark of stained from your shoes marked.. Doesn't matter it cost them expensive and to replace it new one. Are you willing pay full of portion the cost and to replace their carpet?

As long, if you wish guest stay shoes on and scrubbing all over your carpet and one day become into darker stained marked on it. Are you willing replace it immediately? (hmmmm) I do not think so..
:giggle:
Like I said, I'm shocked at how many people think carpets are more important than people.

You know what? If you don't want your carpets soiled, maybe you shouldn't invite people over to your house. Then your house can be perfectly clean all the time, just like a museum.

I can't imagine if someone have most dirty sock or bare feet after take their shoes off.

As long as I can take off my shoes in my own home lol.. I don't want other people take off their shoes in my home if they gonna have smelly feet! I would have to spray their feet with perfume! lol
:rofl:

Well, guests and homeowners should respect each other the same... It should be both host and guest.
That's right.

Hosts shouldn't put their guests on the spot by making impolite requests.

Guests shouldn't act offended if the host does put them on the spot, and just bear the rude request politely.

It's no respect if host tried to show her respect and receive no respect from guest in return.

We as host know how to treat guests in manner way...
Right, it is not respectful for a host to ask their guests to de-shoe but it's also not respectful for a guest to complain about it.

I would like to share you all about German Tradition how to treat guests in host's house.

We (host) decorate the table with candles to impress our guests. Serve coffee with homemade cakes... and make guests feel comfortable... conversation... follow evening snack... decoration sliced sausages, cheeses, etc. then have glass of wine and relax conversation... during winter time... watch fire place...

The guests brought packet of coffee beans, bottle of wine or flower to treat the host of the house... some candies or little money for children...

I told my friends to not bring anything but happy to have them as my guests next time... They choose to ignore it and give us bunch of flowers, bottle of wine or packet coffee bean... They don't like to come with empty hands... It's German Tradition...
Well, that's very nice but it doesn't have anything to do with asking them to remove their shoes. But if that's your cultural tradition, to remove shoes (like Japanese culture), then that's fine. But if that's a tradition, to remove shoes before entering the house, then the host doesn't need to request it. It's just done automatically, right?

Is it good manner if guest walk in with mud and wet shoes ?

Is it good manner if guest walk in with dirty shoes without whip their dirty shoes from mat?
Of courese not. Do you often invite rude people to your house?

Is it good manner if guest walk in and touch anything and nosey anything.... without ask us first?

Is it good manner when guest complaint that we have pet in our house?

Is it good manner when guest complaint about foods we offer them?

No way... Guests should show their respect toward their host as the same the host should show their respect toward their guests as well.
Are you saying it's OK for the host to make rude requests because the guests also do rude things? Maybe you should rethink your guest list if that's a frequent problem. :dunno:

That's right.

Hosts shouldn't put their guests on the spot by making impolite requests.

Guests shouldn't act offended if the host does put them on the spot, and just bear the rude request politely.

:confused: It look like that you have bad experience with hosts in the past? I don´t have any experience like that... like what I said in my previous posts that my guests do themselves automatic... that´s why I have no problem with their respect...

Right, it is not respectful for a host to ask their guests to de-shoe but it's also not respectful for a guest to complain about it.

I show my respect if a host ask me to take my shoe off or whatever... I have no problem to respect anyone no matter what... Do you have problem for respect a host if she/he ask you to do it?

Well, that's very nice but it doesn't have anything to do with asking them to remove their shoes. But if that's your cultural tradition, to remove shoes (like Japanese culture), then that's fine. But if that's a tradition, to remove shoes before entering the house, then the host doesn't need to request it. It's just done automatically, right?

Well, we were raised to know that we should take our shoes off before go in... We were raised to see no problem for that.

Of courese not. Do you often invite rude people to your house?

Of course not... I only took the example of posters´s in general way after read all the posts here.

Are you saying it's OK for the host to make rude requests because the guests also do rude things? Maybe you should rethink your guest list if that's a frequent problem. :dunno:

You are the one who brought up in first place, not me. I only quoted to question you, that´s all... :dunno:

Hmmm....:hmm:

My cats might thinks all little things (such as dirt, mud etc ) on the floor are snacks...LOL

If a person socks get dirty,,, just tell them take it off and let me throw in the washing machine with "ring around the collor" soap! heee just kidding.

I live in Canada and its a custom or mostly everyone here use to and raised to take off their shoes upon entering anyone's house, unless told otherwise and even then its iffy... When i moved to u.s. (lived there for 5 years) people would walk into my house with shoes on and id ask wat are you doing?! but its normal in many american households to keep shoes on...All my friends knew that when they came to my house...no shoes!

Yeppers, I was raised to take my shoes off too when walking into someone else's home, it all about manners and being respectful....I still think it's rude for people to walk into someone else's home with dirty and muddy shoes, that's why I'm raising my children to do the same by taking their shoes off before walking into the house...

:confused: It look like that you have bad experience with hosts in the past? I don´t have any experience like that...
So no host has ever requested that you remove your shoes? Great! :)

like what I said in my previous posts that my guests do themselves automatic... that´s why I have no problem with their respect...
I show my respect to the host by first asking permission before I take off my shoes, especially if it's a first-time visit. I would never make any presumptions about what the host preferred. There are actually some hosts who prefer that their guests keep their shoes on. If the hosts says OK, then I would ask where I should put my shoes so they won't be in anyone's way.

I show my respect if a host ask me to take my shoe off or whatever... I have no problem to respect anyone no matter what... Do you have problem for respect a host if she/he ask you to do it?
Of course not. If they make the request, I obey with a smile, without any complaint.

Well, we were raised to know that we should take our shoes off before go in... We were raised to see no problem for that.
Well, I was raised to ask permission first. Some homeowners don't want a pile of shoes at their front door.

You are the one who brought up in first place, not me. I only quoted to question you, that´s all... :dunno:
You are mistaken. I didn't mention pets or food or nosy people in my posts.

Yeppers, I was raised to take my shoes off too when walking into someone else's home, it all about manners and being respectful....I still think it's rude for people to walk into someone else's home with dirty and muddy shoes, that's why I'm raising my children to do the same by taking their shoes off before walking into the house...
When I go to someone's house, I try to make sure my shoes are clean before I go thru their front door. I use the door mat and wipe them off real good. If they're still wet or dirty, then I ask if I may remove them and where should I leave them.

I can't remember ever having to ask a visitor to remove their shoes when they entered my house. They either had clean shoes, wiped them clean on the door mat, or they asked me if it was OK to remove them for comfort.

Of course, we don't have snow and slush, so we don't get muddy boots. I know that's unfair to Northerners. Sorry. :P If we did, I have a bench on my front porch that would be comfortable for sitting down and removing boots.

:ty:
Ha, ha, you are so practical! :lol:

:ty::bowdown: LOL thank you dear! lol But of course I would remove my shoes in someone home if they ask me to take it off, and also if someone have brand new carpet or white carpet,, I would have to take my shoes off. Don't worry,, I will check my shoes to make sure there is no grease on it!

I can't imagine if someone have most dirty sock or bare feet after take their shoes off.

Me either... I was like :confused: after read some posts here saying that some people might be embarrassed to take their shoes off because they have holey socks, dirty feet, smelly feet, etc.

Back