Students Who Refuse to Affirm Transgender Classmates Face Punishment

There are some places have family bathroom or single bathroom that many transgender people prefer to use it.

I'm a woman and I've used the men's restroom when I had to pee so bad and there were a very long line for the women's restroom. I can pass for a man when I want to. It was at Pridefest. I like to dress like a man sometimes and even wear a fake goatee when I feel like it.

I know what you mean about the long lines, Lucia. I'll use whatever bathroom is available.
I've been to Pridefest and had agreat time!

It is tough for some parents because they pay their school taxes and feel like they are just throwing that money away if they homeschool or send a kid to private school. That is why we need vouchers. Honestly, they are throwing money away whether they send kids or not. IMO it is better to bite the bullet and home school the kids. Cut your losses that way.

There are vouchers for private schools. My ex-girlfriend's two younger sisters went to private school on vouchers and their family were very poor.

I've never met (personally) a transgender person....but I will say that I'm not comfortable sharing a bathroom or changing clothes in front of one...seems there was an article a year or so ago about having transgenders using their own bathrooms?....And thought it was a good idea, until the transgender had completely became a man or woman , their choice.....

I've met and known plenty of transgenders. I even know one who cut his dick off because he was meant to be a woman.

I think there are several issues here...

First, I am and will continue be strong supporter of public schools.

I don't think it's "sick" at all.

I think there GLBTQ students face additional harassment due to not fitting the so-called "norm" and I do support recognition of genderqueer/trans folks needs - both within straight and non-straight communities. I've been involved in GLBTQ groups and rights for many years.

I do also think there has to be some method or discussion over how to implement policies of equity and fairness within a school setting because that can be especially sticky; there is a risk of benefiting one at the expense of another.

One basic thing would be simply unisex bathrooms - more smaller or more progressive businesses have them and I personally don't care whose I use so long as I can use one.

I agree with Foxrac about making schools safe and free from bullying.

I totally agree!

I was bullied a lot for being lesbian at my school for the deaf. It sucked. I was only one of like 5 gay students at the school.

I'm a woman and I've used the men's restroom when I had to pee so bad and there were a very long line for the women's restroom. I can pass for a man when I want to. It was at Pridefest. I like to dress like a man sometimes and even wear a fake goatee when I feel like it.

Years ago my friends girlfriend was arrested for using the men's restroom at Reunion Arena in Dallas. Of course pride fest is a totally different thing.

But this topic is about public schools, not private events.

That sucks. I think transgenders should be allowed to use the restroom of their choice and not face discrimination.

Yup, I agree as well.

The home school isn't for everyone and many parents have to work, unless students are older enough to stay alone and receive the assignment from school, also deaf schools offer limited home school option for troubled students or unfit to be in classroom with other students. I had 2 rounds of home school during senior because of bullying situation.

Yes, I used woman's restroom for emergency, especially diarrhea, if man's restroom is full, or restroom with one toilet like at gas station, those case are rare.

Yup, I agree as well.

The home school isn't for everyone and many parents have to work, unless students are older enough to stay alone and receive the assignment from school, also deaf schools offer limited home school option for troubled students or unfit to be in classroom with other students. I had 2 rounds of home school during senior because of bullying situation.

Maybe there should be a special school for them......so that they can be safe from bullying and be around people like themselves.

Maybe there should be a special school for them......so that they can be safe from bullying and be around people like themselves.

It isn't available to all locations and they may have limitation on enrollment.

Back