Students Who Refuse to Affirm Transgender Classmates Face Punishment

I have awful mixed feelings on this entire thing but no-no-no. That would not be a feasible option. They would immediately become subject to ridicule on top of everything else they ALREADY get shit for. No need to make life harder for them and school's hard enough already.

Personally, I don't really care who uses the bathroom I'm in but there will be consequences if boundaries are crossed, male or female. I really do have mixed feelings on the entire transgender solution only for one reason alone... that's just because I don't know how to reasonably help solve their issues. However they decide to do with their bodies is of no concern of mine so you know they've got my support there. This is just a rough thing to handle that's all.

I think the transgendered need to deal with it and just go to the damn bathroom and get out. Why start a ruckus?

Big problem is safety and transgender people are usually got attacked of assaulted in public bathroom.

Wow, what a troll. No chance to have an intelligent discussion here.

Sorry you feel that way. I again remind you that you are free to ignore my posts. I think this might be a reasonable solution. 1) It is a different culture. 2) These kids are suffering emotional distress due to their surroundings. 3) These students require an accommodation. 4) These students would probably benefit from a school with additional counseling resources.

It may not be the best answer, but it is a thought.

Edit to add: Part of the argument behind deaf schools is that deaf students feel more comfortable and safer when they are around other kids just like them. NitroHonda has made this point several times in another thread. How would that not also be true for "transgendered" kids who might also face the same bullying?

Just to be sure we're on the same page... I'm not talking about waiting 10-15 minutes. I'm really a firm believer in you gotta go when you gotta go. Anything else is just foreign to me. The solution you proposed sounded like a time frame. How many of those five minute class breaks were you looking to assign to the transgendered? What if they need an "extended" bathroom break? It's unreasonable and unrealistic to assign a time frame for ANYONE let alone the transgendered.

I have never been told that I have to wait nor have I abused that privilege. If someone tries to take that away from me, good chance I might whiz on their leg.

*shrugs*

Perhaps if they needed an "extended" bathroom break, then perhaps the Nurses station would suffix?...As for the "time frame" that would have to be remedied by the school....There are times when we're on a bus or in a place where there are no bathrooms...and we hold it.....My boys never have used the bathrooms for a bowel movement (unless they were sick), and went to the nurses station for something for it....98% of the time, they waited until they came home and used the bathroom for "#2",,,,,

Guessing you have never abused the priviledge of a bathroom break...but many, many kids do.....Most teachers are amandent about their students using the bathrooms before class time...I would too...and if a student constantly asked for a bathroom break, he would be sent to the Office.

Big problem is safety and transgender people are usually got attacked of assaulted in public bathroom.

How would a first grader even know that another first grader was "transgender?"

I have awful mixed feelings on this entire thing but no-no-no. That would not be a feasible option. They would immediately become subject to ridicule on top of everything else they ALREADY get shit for. No need to make life harder for them and school's hard enough already.

Personally, I don't really care who uses the bathroom I'm in but there will be consequences if boundaries are crossed, male or female. I really do have mixed feelings on the entire transgender solution only for one reason alone... that's just because I don't know how to reasonably help solve their issues. However they decide to do with their bodies is of no concern of mine so you know they've got my support there. This is just a rough thing to handle that's all.

How about the grand model?
It has heat, a sink, and all the fancies of an "executive" washroom. :hmm: lol

I think the real issue is people having an apoplectic fit and not being agreeable. Some folks don't like the idea of "sharing restrooms" just like sharing a restroom with someone that is a skin of different color. You and I don't mind, but some people do.

If the bullying is a problem, it could be made free-for-all. Anyone wanting to use the porta potty can use it, and then transgendered kids are to use that one. That would decrease any suspicion.

I thought these are just elementary grade kids, I'm not sure if I was in 2nd-4th grade, if I could tell if someone was transgendered.

deconshower40-dddds-resized-600.jpg

Wow, what's silly question!

The attacking on transgender students didn't happened until they get in middle school and high school.

How about the grand model?
It has heat, a sink, and all the fancies of an "executive" washroom. :hmm: lol

deconshower40-dddds-resized-600.jpg

You're going to love this one. IKEA's porta-potty. Don't mind all the hidden cameras in the bathroom. Talk about a d'oh moment for IKEA.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-t1qjfGX0fA]Ikea's Portable Toilet - YouTube[/ame]

This is political correctness goig way too far. When the rights and comforts of one indiviual are more important than everyone else's you're just doing something wrong.

AND just because someone is transgendered doesn't necessarily mean that effects their sexual orientation. It could be a boy "trapped" in the a girls body, but still be attracted to girls. That person would LOVE being in the locker room. What if they hit on them? Do the girls still have the right to complain? Where's the line?

This is political correctness goig way too far. When the rights and comforts of one indiviual are more important than everyone else's you're just doing something wrong.

AND just because someone is transgendered doesn't necessarily mean that effects their sexual orientation. It could be a boy "trapped" in the a girls body, but still be attracted to girls. That person would LOVE being in the locker room. What if they hit on them? Do the girls still have the right to complain? Where's the line?

Excellent point.

The problem with some PC is that it plays with phrases and appearances rather than getting at what's below the surface. But I don't think this issue is related to PC at all but to concerns of safety and equal access.

The problem with some PC is that it plays with phrases and appearances rather than getting at what's below the surface. But I don't think this issue is related to PC at all but to concerns of safety and equal access.

They have equal access. Boys bathrooms have stalls just like girls bathrooms.

How long before the horny boys in hs or ms catch on and go "hey, Im trangsgendered, I get to go in the girls bathroom and locker room, get to be the star of the gilrs basketball team.....etc etc".

How long before the horny boys in hs or ms catch on and go "hey, Im trangsgendered, I get to go in the girls bathroom and locker room, get to be the star of the gilrs basketball team.....etc etc".

The sports thing is huge. What about the girls who lose out on scholarships because some guy claimed he identified as female and took her spot? What happens when schools go to coed basketball, soccer and volleyball?

This could set women back 100 years. They will be the real victims here.

Lawdy, lawdy...what a difference it would make by pulling down those pants and letting everybody have a look-see....

I would have totally joined our girls swim team when I was in school if we had rules like this.

Field Hockey too!

I would have totally joined our girls swim team when I was in school if we had rules like this.

Field Hockey too!

Volleyball man! VOLLEYBALL! I'd be practicing all damn day long with my teammates. They carry a set of their own at all times!

Very sticky situation. Not sure how I feel about it. My job as a teacher is hard enough...can't even comprehend of having to address this issue.

Back