Students Who Refuse to Affirm Transgender Classmates Face Punishment

What are you asking for? I said YES - about cover on school's anti-discrmination for GLBT students and one student questioned about concern with some people may sue the school as financial gain for not follow the anti-discrmination policy as they established. The issues must be resolved under university's student affair office, not court because judge will dismiss the case if any requirement isn't met, so the court is very strict on those case.

Some members, especially you don't understand about what I was saying and I'm not going continue with multi-posts in old way. Due to change in my post structure, any ridiculous questions in debate matter will be ignored, that it.

Like I said. We will see.

Did your teacher really say that? :shock:

It depends on where the suit was filed. Government entities including schools have caps on as to how much one can be paid out. In Texas, I think it's either 250k or 500k. You aren't getting more than that. It really is very difficult to sue schools these days. This isn't the 90's anymore. THAT was the decade of frivolous lawsuits.

I've never met (personally) a transgender person....but I will say that I'm not comfortable sharing a bathroom or changing clothes in front of one...seems there was an article a year or so ago about having transgenders using their own bathrooms?....And thought it was a good idea, until the transgender had completely became a man or woman , their choice.....

What are you asking for? I said YES - about cover on school's anti-discrmination for GLBT students and one student questioned about concern with some people may sue the school as financial gain for not follow the anti-discrmination policy as they established. The issues must be resolved under university's student affair office, not court because judge will dismiss the case if any requirement isn't met, so the court is very strict on those case.

Interesting. :ty:

I've never met (personally) a transgender person....but I will say that I'm not comfortable sharing a bathroom or changing clothes in front of one...seems there was an article a year or so ago about having transgenders using their own bathrooms?....And thought it was a good idea, until the transgender had completely became a man or woman , their choice.....

There are some places have family bathroom or single bathroom that many transgender people prefer to use it.

It depends on where the suit was filed. Government entities including schools have caps on as to how much one can be paid out. In Texas, I think it's either 250k or 500k. You aren't getting more than that. It really is very difficult to sue schools these days. This isn't the 90's anymore. THAT was the decade of frivolous lawsuits.

That is a lot of money to some people. It's actually very easy to school.....the award might not be as great as it used to be. Even some former students are suing now.

That is an expensive solution. But it might be better than this ridiculous mess.

I agree, TX...it's a mess!...Good thing my last son has only 1 more year to go before he finishes HS....

I talked to my daughter moments ago, told if she ever let my future grand kids near a public school I would write her out of the will. :lol: She agreed.

I think there are several issues here...

First, I am and will continue be strong supporter of public schools.

I don't think it's "sick" at all.

I think there GLBTQ students face additional harassment due to not fitting the so-called "norm" and I do support recognition of genderqueer/trans folks needs - both within straight and non-straight communities. I've been involved in GLBTQ groups and rights for many years.

I do also think there has to be some method or discussion over how to implement policies of equity and fairness within a school setting because that can be especially sticky; there is a risk of benefiting one at the expense of another.

One basic thing would be simply unisex bathrooms - more smaller or more progressive businesses have them and I personally don't care whose I use so long as I can use one.

I agree with Foxrac about making schools safe and free from bullying.

In this time when public schools can't afford to stock current restrooms with enough paper towels and soap, I doubt that they can afford to install special bathrooms just for transgender students.

True -some - but not all public schools don't have basic things they need, and others have basic things but still have difficulties with supplies. But that is not all public school. And Unisex bathrooms aren't "special" or extra - it is a way of providing equal access, in those schools which have the financial means to do it.

In the board of education my kids are in, because it is generally only one or two students that identify as transgendered, they use the teachers' washrooms, which are singles. It's done that way for the comfort of the transgendered student as well as the others. As to changing for sports, we haven't had that come up, but I would expect the same protocol would be used.
I feel for trans kids, it is heartbreaking to see a young person who desperately feels they have been betrayed by their body, trying to fit into society's "norms" when they feel like they are dying inside. I worked with a young man who was struggling with his parents over his desire to become a girl; his mothers' concern when he told her how he felt was "What will the neighbours think?". When he began transitioning, to see how much happier a person he was as a girl, was really great.

I like that idea about using the teacher's bathrooms, too. And it's a cost-free way to address it in many districts. What about changing for sports there also?

True -some - but not all public schools don't have basic things they need, and others have basic things but still have difficulties with supplies. But that is not all public school. And Unisex bathrooms aren't "special" or extra - it is a way of providing equal access, in those schools which have the financial means to do it.
If additional bathrooms have to be constructed, then that is indeed an extra expense for the schools. Very expensive. We read every day about teachers who don't have supplies, aren't paid enough, are getting laid off, the rooms are overcrowded, the buildings are in disrepair, and they all need technology updates. Where will they get the money for more bathrooms?

I like that idea about using the teacher's bathrooms, too. And it's a cost-free way to address it in many districts. What about changing for sports there also?
From what I've seen (as a sub terp, I've been in many schools) the staff bathrooms are barely adequate for the staff, and are usually not as conveniently located to the classrooms, and they aren't designed to be locker changing rooms.

Besides, doesn't that defeat the purpose of trying to make the transgender students seem less "special" or different?

I'm referring to schools who do have the financial means to install unisex bathrooms.

It is a myth to think that -all- public schools are failing and lacking in basic supplies and struggling such that installing such a bathroom is cost-prohibitive

I'm referring to schools who do have the financial means to install unisex bathrooms.

It is a myth to think that -all- public schools are failing and lacking in basic supplies and struggling such that installing such a bathroom is cost-prohibitive
So, send all the transgender students to only schools that can afford special bathrooms?

Really, if our schools are so flush with funds, why are they complaining about shortages, overcrowding, and striking for raises? In my area, school bus drivers are also threatening to strike for more pay.

Putting in new bathrooms is expensive, and usually means sacrificing a space, such as a classroom, to make it possible.

no< in response to you first sentence> I think the idea about the use of staff bathrooms is good as mentioned in the post by honey.toronto.

already described regarding those schools who-can- afford

here's a portion of a longer article from the Bangor Daily News, Feb., '13, that discusses some ideas for schools:

<begin copy>"...... Ensuring equal treatment means addressing certain issues. Here are some of many ways schools can make sure they treat transgender students with respect:

• Language. Students and teachers’ language sets a school’s tone. Adults should correct students who say “that’s so gay” or use other ostracizing phrases or words. Harassment — including cyberbullying — on the basis of sexual orientation is illegal. Sexual orientation is legally defined in Maine statute as a person’s “actual or perceived heterosexuality, bisexuality, homosexuality or gender identity or expression.”

• Positive representation. Schools should not make the gay or transgender experience invisible. One way to do this is to establish gay/straight alliances or offer diversity programming. When students see administrators and facility supporting gay and transgender students — or even acknowledging their existence — they know bullying isn’t tolerated.

• Bathrooms. Transgender students should have access to bathrooms that respect their gender identity, though for some this could mean single-stall bathrooms. It is not OK to force transgender students to use rooms that correspond to their assigned sex at birth.

• Names. Forms should have a space for a “given name” and a “chosen name,” and school IDs should reflect the chosen name. (The policy also could be helpful for students with divorced parents, who go by a different last name than their legal one). Staff should refer to students by the names and pronouns they desire. If a student hasn’t authorized disclosure of information that reveals his or her transgender status, school staff must not disclose it.

• Housing. At residential high schools and on college campuses, having a floor or wing of a dorm that is designated as friendly to gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people — and their allies — helps keep students safe.

It’s not known how many people are transgender, but the National Center for Transgender Equality estimates it’s between 0.25 percent and 1 percent of the population. Feelings about one’s gender are usually set early in life and do not change — though establishing a gender identity can be a dynamic process. Students cannot be asked for “proof” of being transgender, and no medical diagnosis, surgery or hormone replacement therapy is necessary to be transgender.

What is necessary is for educators, legislators and neighbors to be more understanding of transgender students, ensure they are treated with respect and create the type of environment most conducive to learning."<end copy>

Back