stick or auto?

What's your preference in cars? Stick or automatic?

• stick shift

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • automatic all the way

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
I picked up a Ford Aerostar van for a smog inspection, couldnt find the auto stick handle as I looked around the steering column, spotted a long shift stick on the floor that puzzled me, never heard it before but I saw the 3 pedals, wtf.
I pulled it into the dyno machine, feels awkward with a long stick shift like I drive a UPS delivery truck. That was one I touched a long shift stick in any mini van RWD in my mechanic years. Rare model?

I saw a lot Ford Aerostar Police in some Europe.

I picked up a Ford Aerostar van for a smog inspection, couldnt find the auto stick handle as I looked around the steering column, spotted a long shift stick on the floor that puzzled me, never heard it before but I saw the 3 pedals, wtf.
I pulled it into the dyno machine, feels awkward with a long stick shift like I drive a UPS delivery truck. That was one I touched a long shift stick in any mini van RWD in my mechanic years. Rare model?
Yes, rare. Dad special ordered it. He hated automatics. It's actually not a bad vehicle to drive.

That would be great if Subaru does this. I think diesel cars are under-marketed in the US. The technology of diesel engines have improved much over the past decade or so.

SUBARU | SUBARU BOXER DIESEL

Yes, I think they will release in USA 2011 or early.

That's awesome if it really happens. The last time I heard that they're fighting to pass the strict smog regulations of California....If a particular vehicle fails and can't pass the smog regulations of California....it will NEVER make it to the US. It's all of California's fault. :mad2:

That would be great if Subaru does this. I think diesel cars are under-marketed in the US. The technology of diesel engines have improved much over the past decade or so.

Oh yeah, Diesels have improved big time. They're on par with gasoline versions in terms of acceleration, smoothness, quietness and less pollution than before...but the sound of diesel isn't the same as gasoline, of course.

That's awesome if it really happens. The last time I heard that they're fighting to pass the strict smog regulations of California....If a particular vehicle fails and can't pass the smog regulations of California....it will NEVER make it to the US. It's all of California's fault. :mad2:

I think they could goes with federal regulation since CA has strict emission regulation than federal does.

I'm personally prefer automatic because of easier to get deal with terrible traffic and for manual, it had been done and gave me alot of stress in rush hour but for light traffic so it is okay.

I guess it is different performance.

I'm personally prefer automatic because of easier to get deal with terrible traffic and for manual, it had been done and gave me alot of stress in rush hour but for light traffic so it is okay.

I guess it is different performance.

Well, I grew up in Chicago and I have no problem with manual for rush hour and downtown. Rookie + manual + rush hour = stress, correct.

Astro vans? You must be mexico.

Lot mexico people own Astro vans.

I'm not a wetback,lol. I noticed the Hispanic people like Astros and Aerostars
cuz of the size of the mini vans that they can afford to buy or transport large families or farm workers.

I don't really have a preference. That being said, my truck is an automatic because its an '07 and General Motors stopped offering manual transmissions in all of their fullsize pickups in the middle of the 2006 model year.

Scott

I doubt it's a regulation. It's just what consumers demand. Yesterday's optional equipment has become today's standard equipment. Look at power windows. Used to be they were optional, but now they are pretty much standard equipment on most cars. Automatics possibly may have been thought of as luxury items at one time.

automatic windows are the reason why some kids die in cars (if they were old enough to roll the window themselves). When I was little, I was able to roll the window up and down while my mother went shopping (yes, we were allow to sit in the car in those days!)

but I guess if they were old enough, they were old enough to open the door too.

As for me....If I am going to be driving every day like to work or just having a decent "family car"..I would prefer automatic.

Now..if I had a jeep...or a racer car such as mustang..camaro...charger..challenger..firebird..saleen..etc etc...then it is 100000000% shift/manual. You get more power and more takeoff power. IMHO how the hell can you race with an automatic? And how the hell can you get out of stuck mud or stuck snow with automatic with 4x4? Sorry..guess Im "old country" guy. After car is paid off (07 custom order Impala) wife and I ARE going to get a Sahara Jeep lifted and have fun with it in the mud/snow. Manual, of course.

As for me....If I am going to be driving every day like to work or just having a decent "family car"..I would prefer automatic.

Now..if I had a jeep...or a racer car such as mustang..camaro...charger..challenger..firebird..saleen..etc etc...then it is 100000000% shift/manual. You get more power and more takeoff power. IMHO how the hell can you race with an automatic? And how the hell can you get out of stuck mud or stuck snow with automatic with 4x4? Sorry..guess Im "old country" guy. After car is paid off (07 custom order Impala) wife and I ARE going to get a Sahara Jeep lifted and have fun with it in the mud/snow. Manual, of course.

Agreed, I would consider to use manual for racing only.

On normal life, I prefer automatic because it make my life so easier and less stress.

Back