stick or auto?

What's your preference in cars? Stick or automatic?

• stick shift

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • automatic all the way

Votes: 20 42.6%

• Total voters
Try driving a big truck where you have to double clutch and shift five times to get to 25 mph sometimes. :shock: It took my brother about six months before he was good at it.

I was pretty good at that overnight. Drove a 25 ton manure spreader for a couple months.

I like autos in the city, sticks for the mountains.

Any deaf people can operate a manual. I think they can do it better than hearing people because we can feel things better.

Read the tachometer to shift. I don't think any manual transmission cars are without a tachometer.
My Toyota truck has a 5-speed and no tach.

It's more than engine RPMs that dictate whether or not I need to shift gears. It depends a lot on whether the road is flat or has a lot of hills, and whether it's straight or has a lot of curves.

yea, Ive drove a lot of cars without tach.

You just feel for the power curve, and when it starts losing power, its time to shift. Not when you're in the 5th gear, or in some nicer cases, the 6th.

no closet required - anakin is actually female and yes - most and I said most not all females like to ride a stick. :giggle:

First of all, I drive shift stick for the past 5 years after I switched over from automatic.

I voted stick shift but, I've never driven an automatic. I have a feeling I would prefer automatic.

Stick shift?! Never heard the term before, over here we say "manual"

It is called that way in America, we call it "manual" down her ein AUstralia too.

Some of my deaf friends say they can't drive a stick. But some of my other deaf friends are skilled.

There is no common snese in there, mate. Deaf people can drive manual, doesn't HAVE to have hearing. Just takes a bit to learn the shift stick.

have any of you torn up your transmission? I've always assume stick require some hearing or you will tear up your transmission.

But looking at the speed meter helps too. My mom always drove a Ford truck with a stick. In the city.

Nope, you don't need your hearing to listen to the transmission, just like what Doug said, you can feel it, if it break down, driving the stick, the stick has vibrations you can feel it if the tranmission ends up having serious issues.

Read the tachometer to shift. I don't think any manual transmission cars are without a tachometer.

My '98 festiva doesn't have tacho, and it is manual. Been driving that car for three years and I got used to know when it is time to change.

There is so many different ways to know when you need to change gears, you don't need your hearing at all. Not at all. You can feel it, and it also dpeends on the speed you are at. You know when you change. When you learn, you'll know what I mean. :cool2: Even my car is new, and has tacho, and can't be bothered to check my tacho, just that I learnt how this new car runs. :)

First of all, I drive shift stick for the past 5 years after I switched over from automatic.

It is called that way in America, we call it "manual" down her ein AUstralia too.

There is no common snese in there, mate. Deaf people can drive manual, doesn't HAVE to have hearing. Just takes a bit to learn the shift stick.

Nope, you don't need your hearing to listen to the transmission, just like what Doug said, you can feel it, if it break down, driving the stick, the stick has vibrations you can feel it if the tranmission ends up having serious issues.

My '98 festiva doesn't have tacho, and it is manual. Been driving that car for three years and I got used to know when it is time to change.

There is so many different ways to know when you need to change gears, you don't need your hearing at all. Not at all. You can feel it, and it also dpeends on the speed you are at. You know when you change. When you learn, you'll know what I mean. :cool2: Even my car is new, and has tacho, and can't be bothered to check my tacho, just that I learnt how this new car runs. :)

I pretty much have said everything you have just said in this thread.

I have no intentions on learning how to drive a stick shift. I like the automatic. :)

manuals are more economical than automatics, and more fun too, it keeps you thinking about the driving than just a point and slapping foot down. too lazy, wears out brake pads faster too, as well as tyres since you use more engine braking that is if you're taught by a racetrack driver or truck driver...

I have no intentions on learning how to drive a stick shift. I like the automatic. :)

It's a wonderful experience. Once I could take off from the top of a gravel drive onto pavement without spinning out and spilling my brother's coffee, he knew that I could handle my truck. I drove it through snow and ice, then through massive winds from Missouri to Indiana, then from Indy down through Kentucky all the way to Florida. Best excursion I ever had. I really miss my truck and my stick/manual. I use automatic now because I only have feeling in one hand and can't shift the gears.

I can drive a stick, but I've always owned an automatic.

I drove stick shift during my young life but I now drove automatic.

I have always driven automatic. I tried to learn how to use manual stick when I was young. I could not get the hang of it at all. I really prefer automatic better than manual stick. I know that manual stick shift cars are cheaper than automatic stick shift. I don't mind the cost to buy the car with automatic shift. :cool2:

I know that manual stick shift cars are cheaper than automatic stick shift. I don't mind the cost to buy the car with automatic shift. :cool2:

I wasn't aware of this. Obviously I haven't checked. :hmm:

Back