Some people don't realize that talking too loud doesn't make you hear any better

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
Have anyone spoke to you with a high/low deep yelling voice to speak with you thinking maybe you would "hear" better if they were loud enough?

Some people do that with me, instead of speaking normal they speak loudly and you could hear shouting sounds. I don't like that. I was wondering if that ever happened to you before or recently and how do you feel about that?

I get embarrased when a person opens their mouth like they were ready to eat a whale, mouthing the words with this loud voice...

I've had some people do that to me. What they don't realize that it's not the sound that helps, it's the lip-reading that helps. I often remind them that they don't need to speak louder, only clearer. ;)

i'm wondering did u tell them " i can't hear" or " i'm deaf" mostly if you say " i can't hear" they'll think that you must be hard of hearing and will speak louder.

this helps me a little bit by saying "i'm Deaf" and they understand.. seems it helps to me a bit but still some i mean FEW people yell..only the idiot ones.

I am not sure if it happened to me before or not....but every time I went to visit my grandparents house, my two little cousins always talk loud when they sign and talk the same time to me, my grandma have to tell them to talk quiet all the times so I guess it happened to me then. I don't feel anything because it doesn't bother me, but I know it bothers my grandparents so I felt a little bit bad about that.

Oh yaa.. I know! People would turn the tv up ALL the way loud, and Im like... ok, its LOUD, but I cant understand a word, I never will!

Its like, when a blind person is able to see, they cant see normally like u and me, but blurs.. spots and colors.. same thing with us.

Yeah, some people intend to do that and think we can only hear them if they speak up louder, yeah right! :ugh2: ....I think they watch too much TV shows or movies LOL...

Do what I do......(or at least I'd do if I had the equipment and the guts to).....

Hold a speakerphone to the offender's ear, and turn it on full blast... and tell 'im you can't hear a damn thing from it, even. Ought teach 'em what you are really capable of... NOT hearing. :asshole:

Yeah.. When I threw away my hearing aids, other hearing people stopped trying to yell in my ears.

Lot of time I tell people that I am hearing impaired and I read lips. They talk normal to me after I tell them. It works for me. :D

I remember my embarrassing moment.. ugh,..

In jr high, we had girls PE with 200 girls. We were doing jumping jacks.. how hard can it be, jeez.. but the teacher decided to walk over to me and start screaaaaming at me "OOOONE,TWWWWWOOO, THREEEEE, CJHSSSSS" .. I was in horror!! lol

and in high school, I was doing a class presentation, and then a girl blurted out "OH my GoooSH, I didnt know deaf people could TALK!".. I was blinking..

Yeah, i know what you mean, Cheri...grrr..i hate that when they think i might "hear" better if they talk real loud..know what i do when they do that??
it works for me every time....i talk real loud back at them and of course, they look shocked or embarrassed but its like a taste of their own medicine heh!
You shoulda seen their faces..hahaha.

There is something strange about people when they are talking to somebody who is 'different' than they are....such as the shouting.

Keep in mind that this happens to a lot of different people. I've seen people raise their voices to blind people before.....enough so the blind person says 'I'm blind....not deaf'.

I also have a friend who is in a wheelchair and we were at the mall. I introduced him to a security guard I know at the mall and the guard was astonished when my friend stuck out his hand to shake hands. My friend was like 'Its my legs that don't work.....'

DeafScuba brings up a great point, though:
i'm wondering did u tell them " i can't hear" or " i'm deaf" mostly if you say " i can't hear" they'll think that you must be hard of hearing and will speak louder.

this helps me a little bit by saying "i'm Deaf" and they understand.. seems it helps to me a bit but still some i mean FEW people yell..only the idiot ones.

If we are in a loud enviroment, such as a crowded mall or a sporting event and you were to say 'I can't hear you' I would first think it was because of the background noise and I would raise my voice.
If you said 'I am deaf' or signed that you were deaf, then I wouldn't raise my voice....
If you said 'I can't hear you' I would assume otherwise.

Last edited:
My boss does it. He has done it for the 2 and a half years I've worked there. I've tried to explain that he doesn't need to raise his voice, but alas, he's a jerk. Ok, not so much for that particular thing but because of other things, a different story. My co-workers find it amusing that he does that, one of them used to laugh (she doesnt work there anymore though) and I'd try not to smile when my boss was talking to me.

I hate my boss, but for other reasons. That insensitive bastard. *mumbles*

I just talk back to them loudly and say:
"I guess you like attracting attention to yourself with your shouting."
Some of them get the point, some dont.

LOL @ Liza, Defee and kuifje75

I could use that advice next time someone is shouting at me.

I get so embarrassed when they shout, other people stare at us when this person who is shouting and it just really felt awaked. :ugh2:

VamPyroX said:
I've had some people do that to me. What they don't realize that it's not the sound that helps, it's the lip-reading that helps. I often remind them that they don't need to speak louder, only clearer. ;)
same here.

it wouldn't help if they speak alittle too fast, also.

Back