Some people don't believe

JHuschke

Reaction score
Some people don't believe I am deaf, as some of my teachers and people I know at school. Why? Because no one has met a deaf person like me, I speak exactly like a normal person and sometimes I hear people, but I don't understand what they said, you know? People like to make it so difficult for people with disabilities, and it's a damn shame people can be so immature even adults. Like when I go "Sir? Ma'am? What?" Alot usually say, "You heard what I said!" Thats why most bullies push me around because they think I act deaf because I want attention, or they just don't like deaf people. But I say, I am lucky to be able to speak like that, or even speak and hear at all. I shouldn't care about what others think, but in a way I am so self conscious about people being able to see my hearing aid, like people I never met don't even know I am deaf, sometimes I like to keep it that way..I let my hair grow on the side so no one can see it, I feel pitiful but it's just what I do.

unlike for me some people thought I was hearing til they go ehhh... gulped and walk away lol ;) I think I can act like a hearing person if I wanted to ;) anyways.. depends on situation but I understand your situation tho

I had that problem all my life! Some people would say..."OH!...She can talk!...so she can hear"!....Or...."she just hears what she wants to hear"!...And the worst part of it all....was at work, when several employees stood behind my chair and actually "hollard my name" at me behind my back, to see if I would turn around!....It was my friend that told them to stop! So I took it to the boss!...I'm totally deaf, profound deaf in both ears!...There are reallllly some strange and somewhat ignorant people in this world!......So what's next?? Taking ur clothes off in front of a blind person to see their reaction??

I know EXACTLY what you mean. I have profound hearing loss (over 100 DB loss in both ears) and yet many people still think I'm hearing (some might say hard of hearing) because I speak and act like a hearing person. I'm good at guesswork, so it makes it looks like I can hear what people are saying.

It's very annoying sometimes. Once I had an interpreter who refused to terp for me bc he felt I heard too much and didn't need that service (he was crossing the line with these remarks)...he saw my audiogram and was dumbfounded.

I remember being at the swimming pool with my best friend Ashleigh when we was both around 15 years old, we got into the swimming pool and a group of hearing teenagers came over, and asked us something, i replied for both of us and explained we were both deaf. They carried on to tell me I wasnt deaf because I could talk and would not believe I was deaf because I could understand them perfectly(lipreading)

You're not the only one, I've been told that I'm not deaf by hearings because of my speech skills and also not deaf enough by deafies because I grew up in an oral setting. I would just brush it off, I care less what they think of me. ;)

I'm totally deaf, profound deaf in both ears!...There are reallllly some strange and somewhat ignorant people in this world!......So what's next?? Taking ur clothes off in front of a blind person to see their reaction??

:laugh2: Purretty much, exactly how i feel about hearing people being ignorant. I still have to keep my smile with white teeth showing to such the ignorant peeps, anyway.

I had that problem all my life! Some people would say..."OH!...She can talk!...so she can hear"!....Or...."she just hears what she wants to hear"!...And the worst part of it all....was at work, when several employees stood behind my chair and actually "hollard my name" at me behind my back, to see if I would turn around!....It was my friend that told them to stop! So I took it to the boss!...I'm totally deaf, profound deaf in both ears!...There are reallllly some strange and somewhat ignorant people in this world!......So what's next?? Taking ur clothes off in front of a blind person to see their reaction??

:rofl2:

I had that problem all my life! Some people would say..."OH!...She can talk!...so she can hear!

I had someone tell me that I couldn't be deafblind because "deafblind people can't talk." I've also had people insist that I couldn't be totally blind since I didn't run into anything (that's what my cane is for!), shuffled my feet as I walked or groped around with my arms outstretched feeling every object I come into contact with. Some people can be so d*mn ignorant. :roll:

I had someone tell me that I couldn't be deafblind because "deafblind people can't talk." I've also had people insist that I couldn't be totally blind since I didn't run into anything (that's what my cane is for!), shuffled my feet as I walked or groped around with my arms outstretched feeling every object I come into contact with. Some people can be so d*mn ignorant. :roll:

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a sightie did this to me in order to prove that I'm totally blind. :roll:

Well maybe just in case you should start groping around with your arms. Now you never know what you'll run into! :naughty: :laugh2:

I get the same reaction from people!

Ignorant people will say!!! "but deaf people can not talk"

I would just smirk right back at 'em! and say! "I am living proof!"

I know what you mean.
Every time I walk into a new class at my college my professors are simply amazed that I am hard of hearing.
I can hear somewhat with my hearing aids so I guess I shouldn't call myself deaf.
Anyhow I sometimes have to talk to my professors when they want the class to listen to an audio tape or something like that, I have to ask them if they have a transcript or outline of what we are going to listen to because I cannot decode and understand the audio tape.
They look at me dumbfounded and say but you can talk perfect and you are able to follow everything that is going on in class. I have to tell them I am actually lipreading along with hearing a little bit.
There are no lips to read while listening to an audiotape.

They also think my smartlink is a small recorder and that I am recording the class lecture.:giggle:

Melissa,

My professors used to believe the same thing when I used my Comtek FM system in class. One of them even asked me, "I'm not being recorded, am I?" :giggle:

Yeah, i hear ya! Most people will say "oh you talk so well
for a deaf person except you talk with an accent!"
LOL! isnt that silly? I just laugh it off and say" Oh thank you
and thats because im from England!" :giggle:

Some of deaf people thought I was hearing without knowing me, I was told by them that it was just because of my look lol

Back