Some bad news on my CI update

ravensteve1961

Reaction score
Its a setback to my CI surgery. Doctor wants me to learn more about the CI before he starts performing surgery. He thinks i have high expections and he wont even do it if i have high expections. He says the sound is not the same hearing sound you had wearing a hearing aid. The sounds are a whole lot differant then hearing sound you had. You will not hear speech like you used to. A CI is a totaly differant evirnment. Well i just need to talk to CI Paitents more. When i get the general idea what a CI sound is then he might perform the surgery.

ravensteve1961 said:
Its a setback to my CI surgery. Doctor wants me to learn more about the CI before he starts performing surgery. He thinks i have high expections and he wont even do it if i have high expections. He says the sound is not the same hearing sound you had wearing a hearing aid. The sounds are a whole lot differant then hearing sound you had. You will not hear speech like you used to. A CI is a totaly differant evirnment. Well i just need to talk to CI Paitents more. When i get the general idea what a CI sound is then he might perform the surgery.

He is very true. When I did my pre surgery appointments, my doctor and audiologist asked me a lot of questions and they told me that they were impressed by my very realistic expectations and had no qualms about going on with the surgery with me.

They told me that about 50 percent of candiates come in with unrealistic expectations and they hesitate to start until these have lowered their expecations and fully understood how the process work.

IT IS NOT A CURE!

I have said it over and over to you in earlier posts and will repeat it again, Raven ....it is just a damn tool, not cure.

Last edited by a moderator:
ravensteve1961 said:
Its a setback to my CI surgery.

It is not bad news. It is REALISTIC.
It is not a setback. The doctors are telling you to gather all information ..not just information but accurate information.

i cant really help you there even though i have cochlear implant... i do not know what the difference between a real sound and cochlear implant sound :-/

Doctors are being careful today because they don't want to be blamed or sued by disappointed people with high expectations.

That's a one smart doctor! And I really mean it!

Deaf258 said:
Doctors are being careful today because they don't want to be blamed or sued by disappointed people with high expectations.

You nailed it beautifully.

ravensteve1961 said:

thats what meg and others have been trying to tell you.. listen to them.. they have had their CI done.. sheesh...

did you know that at john hopkins.. they make you go through a PSYCHOLOGICAL EVALUATION before getting CI.. i dont know about the other hospitals.. a friend of mine went through it.. she said it was worth it..

the dr did this for you cuz he knows you have extremely high expectations and is concerned about you setting yourself up for a major disappointment.. that can be more likely to occur.. and then if it doesnt work out.. you could sue his ass!?!? (sigh)

edit: misspelled a word! grrr

Last edited:
Well, well, looks like someone finally learnt something about CI's.

That doctor was very wise to tell you to gather information about CI's and how people cope with them.

The doctor might didn't want to disappointed you since he knows how much you really really want to hear again, he might have heard you said it thousand of times like we have here..... :x

Try not to make your doctor so nervous while he implant the CI in you...

Deaf258 said:

^ bootifully said!! :thumb: Deaf258

Ravensteve -- then start learning MORE abt CIs!!! quit whining and learn the risks and the pros/cons of CIs and etc etc etc THEN u can go back to ur doc and tell him/her what u have learned and the doc can evaluate if u have actually learned or not -- good luck

I am impressed! I am very pleased that they are now requiring pyschological examinations and urging more realistic views of it.....and it's true, until recently the CI was hyped " OMG....you can hear so well with it!" But then again, I am sure that in the old days when hearing aids were first introduced, there were people who bought the hype of hearing aids.

i agreed with deaf258! your doctor is totally right and its so true that CI is not same as hearing aides. from what he said to you... it seemed that he felt the same way as we felt about you, we're not surprised that youre a kind of guy who wants to jump the line and get CI to become a miraculously hearing person.
im still thinking about getting CI. im still visiting appointments at a time and im expecting a long training and improvements. my friend who was more profoundly deaf than i am and probably skilled in speech than i do. it took her a couple/several of years in training for a small conversation on phone and able to understand music. it was amazing.

Meg said:
It is not bad news. It is REALISTIC.
It is not a setback. The doctors are telling you to gather all information ..not just information but accurate information.
:werd:
I agree with you, Zesty, e, SpiceHD, Deaf 258, shezzbev, Angel, and Fly Free. This is not a set back for Ravensteve. This is the careful, logical way for the doctor to proceed. He should be grateful to have a doctor that doesn't want to just take the money and run.

Last edited:
Steve,
This is what I was referring to in our Private Messages a few weeks ago. Remember our discussion about hoping for the best but preparing for the worst? Hearing will not be restored 100%. I don't know much about CI, but I doubt it is the same as hearing. What you hear and what I hear will be two different things. Seems to me your doctor is on the right track.

I think what the doc and everyone her is telling you is to educate yourself about it first, then make your decision based on realistic expectations of the end result. Not "forget it". Your doc evidently thinks it is an option that might help you, or he would have told you "NO" up front.

ravensteve1961 said:
Well should i forget about the CI and hope this develops in 5 years.
Hear Again in 5-10 years?
You know... scientists and eggheads predicted that they will cure the AIDs, cancers, diabetes, etc etc.... and result? None. If I am in your shoes, I wouldn't wasting my hopes for that but I can keep my eyes for that kind of 'treatment'.

But again, I don't give any damn about CI and bahoo bohahoo, being deaf suits me fine.

Ravensteve,

If you want CI, You better learn something from it, Because wishing to be hearing again, Don't get your hopes up to high. If it benefits something that you might hear better than what you hearing now, You should be happy with it.

And I would like to say that I am really impressed with the Doctor's saying to learn more about the CI before he starts performing surgery. Wow! I was speechless it shows that the Doctor want to be 100 percent certain that is what you want, and not thinking you would get all of your hearing back like you were before. Maybe that is something you need to firgured out, Do you want to take the risk of getting CI and maybe not be able to hear like you used to or wear hearing aids that you have now. That is something you need to think about. But, Don't think you would be able to get all of your hearing back like it was before because It might won't happen. :)

Back