So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are people out there whose body often reject foreign objects in their body include cochlear implants.

People whose bodies reject their own cochlear implants? I thought you meant people with a dreaded defect in them that makes them reject other people's implants :shock: .

souggy and faire joure, WTF do you mean by that? I mentioned Canadian Schools for the Deaf, b/c there was that School for the Deaf that just closed. There HAS been talk ABOUT closing schools for the Deaf recently (North Dakota School for the Deaf as well as South Carolina) as well as a reorganization of a Deaf School (Scranton School for the Deaf)
From what I understand, it's being forced to relocate and be a part of WPSD. Saying that it closed, is like saying that Fair Jour's daughter's school closed b/c it relocated from a different site and became a part of the State School for the Deaf.
However, what you two do not understand is a) They were talking about closing Deaf Schools back in the mid-90's!!!!! The ONLY causality of ALL that talk, was Nebraska School for the Deaf.
I remember reading in Train Go Sorry that back then one of the Schools for the Deaf on Long Island, had dropped their sports programs b/c there weren't enough students to form teams, there was talk about closing the Maryland School for the Deaf, enrollment at Govenor Baxter in Maine, had dwindled down to about 14 students.
and b) A lot of times placement is very political. For example hearing parents think that Deaf Schools/programs are only for non orally skilled dhh students or may be unaware that Deaf Schools or programs even EXIST! Also,a lot of times, the mainstream school simply wants the money that the dhh kid will bring to the school. They don't generally give a CRAP over the quality of an education the kid gets. They know they can just get away from providing mininal accomondations, and that will be fine.
You also don't realize that there ARE Deaf Schools (although not residental) which are opening b/c parents are SO sick of fighting with mainstream schools for good accomondations.

That not true. Nearly all Deaf schools have been drastically cut, many have no sports programs, most have gotten rid of residential programs and enrollments are WAY down.

yeah, most people don't really like to move when they have a job at home and don't like sending their child away. they want them with the family, which is fine. Some public schools are also including people with down sydrome in their classroom. They seem not to believe in segeration much anymore. you probably see more charter schools in the future after they figure out on their own that public school is good for deaf kids.

DD is right...the public schools hate to lose money by sending deaf children to Deaf schools but as for properly serving them..u have seen some people here on AD complaining about the minimal services and having to fight for their rights to services. 'Nuff said.

That is because this deaf school realizes what parents want for their children and are willing to meet the child's needs rather than worry solely about dogma,

absolutely! far too rare (and let's keep our fingers crossed they continue).

I have a fond spot in my heart for TLC because I did my internship there for 3 months and it was a wonderful experience. I love that school! :)

absolutely! far too rare (and let's keep our fingers crossed they continue).

I'm totally jealous. I wish that our bi-bi school was open minded enough to follow suit. I know SO MANY families that would enroll their children in the school was more welcoming to CI users and saw spoken language as valuable and not just an "extra". If they actually worked to encourage and teach fluent spoken language to the students. I would bet their enrollment would double overnight if they did it.

DD is right...the public schools hate to lose money by sending deaf children to Deaf schools but as for properly serving them..u have seen some people here on AD complaining about the minimal services and having to fight for their rights to services. 'Nuff said.

Like, in my old time, teachers got many ideas to propose equpiments that can be useful for deaf kids and they denied teachers' suggestions many times. SO it hurts deaf school that reflects kids' not doing too well. I never forget how teachers faces look like when they were so pissed off. sad, teachers had to watch lots of deaf kids wanderingly off to public schools.

Like, in my old time, teachers got many ideas to propose equpiments that can be useful for deaf kids and they denied teachers' suggestions many times. SO it hurts deaf school that reflects kids' not doing too well. I never forget how teachers faces look like when they were so pissed off. sad, teachers had to watch lots of deaf kids wanderingly off to public schools.

That's sad that they only listen to hearing parents and not the deaf teacher to get what they need for deaf children. They are messing with these children education.

Wirelessly posted

What makes you think they are listening to hearing parents (vs what? Deaf parents and deaf or hearing teachers ?)

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

The teachers and admin ( who are both hearing and deaf) at my daughter's school attended a special program at Gallaudet & eveloped their new curriculum and outlined their program. I had nothing to do with it. The ci and ha kids as well as those who are unaided at the school are from both deaf and hearing families.

Last edited:
because what you and FJ posted vs. what FF posted.

I said that they need to meet the needs of the children vs administration being so obsessed with the "right philosophy" that they fail to help the children succeed in ALL areas. That has nothing to do with hearing vs deaf parents. BUT, the truth is that 95% of deaf children have hearing parents so if Deaf schools want kids to enroll they MUST be attractive to hearing parents.

I said that they need to meet the needs of the children vs administration being so obsessed with the "right philosophy" that they fail to help the children succeed in ALL areas. That has nothing to do with hearing vs deaf parents. BUT, the truth is that 95% of deaf children have hearing parents so if Deaf schools want kids to enroll they MUST be attractive to hearing parents.

FF post wasn't even about the right philosophy, it was about equipments that would help deaf people. I assuming equipments such as smartboard, or tv with caption decoder (If it was before 1996), etc.

And what Hearing people want is carpeted floor or FM system. And if they asked for smart board, would they get it?

Next decade you will be older. It will be playing checkers on the porch at some old timey restaurant. :lol:

That wouldn't be my type until I'm in 70s. Yeah... Still would go to stripping club even I'm in 50s and 60s :aw:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back