So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the Deaf culture and ASL will still be here. Speaking is so common and boring. ASL is so unique!

that is so deaf culture. :D

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrzXRnvePEs&feature=player_embedded]YouTube - CODA BROTHERS: DEAF DRIVING[/ame]

faire joure, then it sounds like those kids you speak of are good code switchers, and are PROOF that you can be bilingal in ASL and spoken English.
They still use ASL right? They haven't dropped ASL right? What I meant are the kids who are exposed to both ASL and speech early on and regularly, and who decide when they are old enough that they don't want to sign any more so they drop it and don't use it at ALL completely.

and white people dont have souls? thats the same as saying deaf people dont have history?

It is EXACTLY about deaf people preferring to talk. I am not talking about deaf people being ABLE to talk, I'm talking about PREFERRING to talk. Hearing people prefer deaf people to talk for what? 100 years? Right? AD-ers talk about AGBell all the time, right? Obviously, hearing people wanting deaf people to talk didn't do a thing to the Deaf culture, except maybe cause bad stigma. Sign language is the basis of Deaf culture. Deaf culture would cease to exist WHEN deaf people would rather talk than use ASL, not when hearing people prefer deaf people to talk.

:thumb:

second that too grenelQ its a fine post, its tells us alot, about the struggle, it illuminates the political struggle. It really shows how real it is, it is not just preference but also we must ask ourselves where does it come from? it comes from influence and hence why political struggle is real , it is not just talks between big heads its later-on-impact is so real... it will be apparent when people starts making choices...
so once again good post Daredevil !!

It is EXACTLY about deaf people preferring to talk. I am not talking about deaf people being ABLE to talk, I'm talking about PREFERRING to talk. Hearing people prefer deaf people to talk for what? 100 years? Right? AD-ers talk about AGBell all the time, right? Obviously, hearing people wanting deaf people to talk didn't do a thing to the Deaf culture, except maybe cause bad stigma. Sign language is the basis of Deaf culture. Deaf culture would cease to exist WHEN deaf people would rather talk than use ASL, not when hearing people prefer deaf people to talk.

I was talking about their human rights, for the society to say it is ok to be deaf including their children as long as they have sign language. Without the majority to reminding them and their children that they are a broken form of hearing people. Deaf culture won't go away but it doesn't stop the majority from imposing their ideality on us. I do not want to be the next deaf person who want to raise that child proud deaf who is pressured by the society that more hearing, the better. I don't want to be like one of the jews who have to hide because people don't like what they are seeing.

I was talking about their human rights, for the society to say it is ok to be deaf including their children as long as they have sign language. Without the majority to reminding them and their children that they are a broken form of hearing people. Deaf culture won't go away but it doesn't stop the majority from imposing their ideality on us. I do not want to be the next deaf person who want to raise that child proud deaf who is pressured by the society that more hearing, the better. I don't want to be like one of the jews who have to hide because people don't like what they are seeing.

Yes, that's the bad stigma that I mentioned. Deaf people DO have the right to sign. It's just that a lot of people look down on them and think they are doing the wrong thing. Mostly, it is just because of ignorance, not hate. Jews hid because they feared of being killed, persecuted, etc. No one is gonna do that to you because you're gonna sign. No one really hates deaf people (except maybe extreme religious folks who think God hates deaf people), only looks down on them. Life includes continually educating yourself and others. Society can't always be perfect.

Michael Chorost discusses this topic in his book "REBUILT" Houghton Mifflin, 2005. According to him - there is already a decrease of those who want to "know ASL' due to increase of Cochlear Implants which is accelerating. He had no discussion of using genetic info re test tubes to alter future events of decreasing person having "deaf problems". He also points out in the US the composition of "deaf culture" is changing by economics-those you can "afford the Cochlear Implant" and those you can't. This doesn't appear to be a factor here in Ontario where OHIP "picks up the entire Cochlear Implant costs" if approved in designated centres-Sunnybrook/Toronto. This is where I was processed 3 years ago. The book is worth reading.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Let me put it this way, is it ok for the society to say "children ought to be raised by one man and one woman"? I know several people who say "that child ought to be taken away because her mother is a lesbian" It didn't matter she is a mother of that child. Is that hate? not to mention, they want to find a cure for homosexuals as well to "fix" these people. oh sure, these kids probably won't ever remember their parents, so like deaf people, they won't care how they were raised once the choice is made.

Is it hate when the society say the same thing about deaf parents because cure for deaf exist now? Not to mention, they could even make it even harder for deaf to find jobs (because of their high expectation of being more hearing). I think it is basically the same thing as killing because they are withholding jobs from them so they can put food on the table. Look at how many homeless die on the street.

Let me put it this way, is it ok for the society to say "children ought to be raised by one man and one woman"? I know several people who say "that child ought to be taken away because her mother is a lesbian" It didn't matter she is a mother of that child. Is that hate? not to mention, they want to find a cure for homosexuals as well to "fix" these people. oh sure, these kids probably won't ever remember their parents, so like deaf people, they won't care how they were raised once the choice is made.

Is it hate when the society say the same thing about deaf parents because cure for deaf exist now? Not to mention, they could even make it even harder for deaf to find jobs (because of their high expectation of being more hearing). I think it is basically the same thing as killing because they are withholding jobs from them so they can put food on the table. Look at how many homeless die on the street.

I agree with you that children should not be taken from their families because they are deaf or because of parent(s)'s gender or sexuality.

But there's a big difference between that fear and whether or not deaf culture will exist in the future. There is not a "cure" for deafness now. Society is not saying that deaf children should be taken from their families because their parents choose ASL/BSL/Auslan/etc. or a particular spoken language, or SEE or Cueing, or Total Communication, or a particular brand of hearing aid or CI.

In the US, there are laws and protections in place that don't guarantee a particular job (none of us have that) but that do help those who need it to provide shelter and put food on the table. No one is currently shutting my daughter out of a classroom, out of a place of business or worship or play because she is deaf. If she has difficulty finding a job when she is an adult, it will not be because she is deaf, but because -- just as anyone applying -- she may not have the right skill set, abilities, knowledge, degree, experience for the position or because the economy is biting all workers.

Great video. I love that there is audio to follow along. I actually picked up a few new signs. After seeing this I wont be getting in a car with a bunch of deafies and a deaf driver. :lol:

Glad that those brothers are hearing therefore i learn so much from them!!! I have to watch out for my own kids who wants to trick me into anything that relates with sound. :giggle:

Speaking of deaf driving, that was true. I have been there before and I kept my eyes on the raod while the driver was babbling. :shock:

Great video. I love that there is audio to follow along. I actually picked up a few new signs. After seeing this I wont be getting in a car with a bunch of deafies and a deaf driver. :lol:

you obviously havent seen my driving 'tubes.. lol

If some people think im bad while driving solo and talking......... :shock:

The old fashioned "voice off" ASL only Deaf seperatism Deaf culture IS very much going to be quite rare. So will spending one's entire educational career at a Deaf School.
But then again, overall "voice off ASLers" are rare overall. Even in the golden age of Deaf Schools they were kind of rare.
I think that Deaf Schools will still be around., and will still have a lot of academic students.
Remember, twenty years ago, they were predicting that Deaf Schools were going down in flames. We really need to get rid of the myth that Deaf Schools are only for voice off students.....I know many parents of dhh kids who mainstreamed them, and thought they were doing well. Many of them were orally skilled/oral sucesses. Then they transferred them to Deaf School/program and they can't believe the difference! Heck, Shel, said that 20 students transferred to her school, and about ten of them did not know ASL before coming to Deaf School!?!?!
I also think a big difference is that many parents of today may have had exposure to REAL live kids with all kinds of disabilties. They will remember the deaf kid who was teased b/c of her voice, they will remember the oral deaf kid who was always left out of games and the mainstream.
The hypothesis that good oral skills= automatic and complete access to the mainstream is just SO "WTF?" It allows SOME access to the mainstream....SOME......Even many of the superstars still have tons and tons of social emotional issues.

The old fashioned "voice off" ASL only Deaf seperatism Deaf culture IS very much going to be quite rare. So will spending one's entire educational career at a Deaf School.
But then again, overall "voice off ASLers" are rare overall. Even in the golden age of Deaf Schools they were kind of rare.
I think that Deaf Schools will still be around., and will still have a lot of academic students.
Remember, twenty years ago, they were predicting that Deaf Schools were going down in flames. We really need to get rid of the myth that Deaf Schools are only for voice off students.....I know many parents of dhh kids who mainstreamed them, and thought they were doing well. Many of them were orally skilled/oral sucesses. Then they transferred them to Deaf School/program and they can't believe the difference! Heck, Shel, said that 20 students transferred to her school, and about ten of them did not know ASL before coming to Deaf School!?!?!
I also think a big difference is that many parents of today may have had exposure to REAL live kids with all kinds of disabilties. They will remember the deaf kid who was teased b/c of her voice, they will remember the oral deaf kid who was always left out of games and the mainstream.
The hypothesis that good oral skills= automatic and complete access to the mainstream is just SO "WTF?" It allows SOME access to the mainstream....SOME......Even many of the superstars still have tons and tons of social emotional issues.

In the bold, that is pretty much what has been happening. Closure after closure of almost empty residential schools.

v5aal1.gif

Botte, can you provide a cite to back that up? There have been closures of Deaf Schools (especially in Canada) but there are still a lot of formal Dhh programs out there. (and it's hard to say what the reason is for their closing)
It does seem like there ARE some res schools that are actually THRIVING. In states with crappy mainstream sped programs, it usually turns out that the res /Deafschool is really good.Unfortunatly even if you scream that you have a lawyer, the mainstream schools in those states just parrot that they cannot provide this or that for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back