So, will the deaf culture be there?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's sad that they only listen to hearing parents and not the deaf teacher to get what they need for deaf children. They are messing with these children education.

Speaking of certain hearing teachers at my deaf school who has passions for teaching deaf kids. They know some of us can do it but need to use some equpiments or different ways of teaching in lot of visual stuffs.

Wirelessly posted

deafgal001 said:
I said that they need to meet the needs of the children vs administration being so obsessed with the "right philosophy" that they fail to help the children succeed in ALL areas. That has nothing to do with hearing vs deaf parents. BUT, the truth is that 95% of deaf children have hearing parents so if Deaf schools want kids to enroll they MUST be attractive to hearing parents.

FF post wasn't even about the right philosophy, it was about equipments that would help deaf people. I assuming equipments such as smartboard, or tv with caption decoder (If it was before 1996), etc.

And what Hearing people want is carpeted floor or FM system. And if they asked for smart board, would they get it?

my quote was about philosophy and her's was about supplies, so why compare them? Do you actually think parents would fight against supplies for their child's class??

Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind: The historic campus will get a $10.6 million makeover. (There’s no match because the school is a state agency and can’t raise funds on its own, as a school district can.)

On top of about 30 million dollars so far.

The school building will be state of art. I am jealous.

Colorado School for the Deaf and Blind: The historic campus will get a $10.6 million makeover. (There’s no match because the school is a state agency and can’t raise funds on its own, as a school district can.)

On top of about 30 million dollars so far.

The school building will be state of art. I am jealous.

Same with the ongoing rehabbing of the Riverside school---some 60 million and counting....rehab is the wrong word.....tearing down the old and erecting new.....

Faire jour, are you aware of the Deaf charter school movement? There ARE quite a few Deaf charter schools opening up! Not to mention there's the question of whether or not the kids who would ordinarly go to State Deaf Schools are actually enrolled in formal Dhh programs or magnet schools. I'm not surprised that some State Deaf Schools are struggling.
But, a lot of that is political. It's the same reason why an inner city school would be struggling compared to a high class prep school. Not to mention , we are struggling with a very severe recession , and there are cuts ALL along the line for even wealthy school districts!
Oh, and you seem to be extrapolarating your experiance with your state's Deaf School, to all Deaf Schools. There are ones that are struggling with being underfunded and underutilized and are hanging on by a thread yes. But there is the Deaf Charter School movement, and there are some Deaf schools that are doing awesome, and are actually thriving. I also have to note that I've looked at most Deaf Schools' sites, and most of them (except for Beverly School for the Deaf) still have res programs.

Faire jour, are you aware of the Deaf charter school movement? There ARE quite a few Deaf charter schools opening up! Not to mention there's the question of whether or not the kids who would ordinarly go to State Deaf Schools are actually enrolled in formal Dhh programs or magnet schools. I'm not surprised that some State Deaf Schools are struggling.
But, a lot of that is political. It's the same reason why an inner city school would be struggling compared to a high class prep school. Not to mention , we are struggling with a very severe recession , and there are cuts ALL along the line for even wealthy school districts!
Oh, and you seem to be extrapolarating your experiance with your state's Deaf School, to all Deaf Schools. There are ones that are struggling with being underfunded and underutilized and are hanging on by a thread yes. But there is the Deaf Charter School movement, and there are some Deaf schools that are doing awesome, and are actually thriving. I also have to note that I've looked at most Deaf Schools' sites, and most of them (except for Beverly School for the Deaf) still have res programs.

Can you show me the results of this "charter school movement"? Also, since new schools are being created doesn't that mean that parents are UNHAPPY with what the state schools are offering? :hmm: Can't have it both ways...

That's sad that they only listen to hearing parents and not the deaf teacher to get what they need for deaf children. They are messing with these children education.

Yea, I have personally seen that happen quite a few times. Oh well.

Can you show me the results of this "charter school movement"? Also, since new schools are being created doesn't that mean that parents are UNHAPPY with what the state schools are offering? :hmm: Can't have it both ways...

What results are you looking for?

I wouldn't say its parents being "Unhappy".. You should check out Colorado school since its next to ya sometimes next year and come back here and let us know what you think ;)

This will be done for physics at the school -- Visual is so much better than aural.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZNTgglPbUA&]YouTube - MIT sketching[/ame]

THAT board is a small one compared to what they're planning in EACH classroom for the school. I am not going to say what I've seen/heard that they're going to install but I am going to say that anyone who sees it will be blown away :)

Faire joure, not quite. There could be a multitude of reasons for starting Deaf Charter Schools....The Deaf School might be too far away, they may be replacing the old Deaf City Schools, the Deaf School may mostly serve multihandicapped kids, or kids who aren't academicly on par, (although there are usually a significent number of academic kids at Deaf Schools due to Deaf, families, some sparsely funded Deaf Schools may not have the resources to teach "vanilla" dhh kids.)

Oh and faire joure I agree with posts from hell. There are some pretty impressive Deaf Schools out there..MSSD, FSDB, Maryland School for the Deaf, California Schools for the Deaf, WPSD and many others. I think the rule of thumb is that if mainstream sped in a particular state is really bad, then the Deaf School is actually pretty good. I really think you'd be surprised if you visited some of the Deaf Schools out there. We have a poster whose daughter was minimal accomondation mainstreamed. Then they looked at a Deaf school, and sent her there and she is now THRIVING. They were told that "oh no...mainstream them , they don't "need" ASL or a Deaf School"
I really do think that there's a HUGE prejudice against Deaf schools as a placement. People seem to believe the myth that Deaf Schools are stuck in the 1940's or that they are only for voice off Deaf kids.
Does anyone know if the charter school movement is in states that don't have strong regional/magnet programs?

Oh and faire joure I agree with posts from hell. There are some pretty impressive Deaf Schools out there..MSSD, FSDB, Maryland School for the Deaf, California Schools for the Deaf, WPSD and many others. I think the rule of thumb is that if mainstream sped in a particular state is really bad, then the Deaf School is actually pretty good. I really think you'd be surprised if you visited some of the Deaf Schools out there. We have a poster whose daughter was minimal accomondation mainstreamed. Then they looked at a Deaf school, and sent her there and she is now THRIVING. They were told that "oh no...mainstream them , they don't "need" ASL or a Deaf School"
I really do think that there's a HUGE prejudice against Deaf schools as a placement. People seem to believe the myth that Deaf Schools are stuck in the 1940's or that they are only for voice off Deaf kids.
Does anyone know if the charter school movement is in states that don't have strong regional/magnet programs?

:gpost:

:gpost: :gpost:

Very sad that hearing parents/hearing authorities are stubborn not thinking about visual at all, period. :(

If California School for the Deaf is "impressive", you have proven that nothing except that Deaf schools struugle to teach kids to read. 85% of 11th graders at CSD read below to FAR below age appropriate levels.

:gpost: :gpost:

Very sad that hearing parents/hearing authorities are stubborn not thinking about visual at all, period. :(

Absolutely disagree with this statement. If, as several of you are saying, the schools are not listening to the Deaf, but only to parents and hearing authorities, and yet this one-sided advice is producing such wonderful schools for the deaf (and my daughter's is one great example) as you say, then I think you should be thanking all of those parents and hearing administrators for doing such a fine job.

I happen to disagree that this is the case, but apparently that's where your logic is leading.

And by the way, most hearing people are extremely visually-oriented, they just also happen to be aurally-oriented as well.

this one-sided advice is producing such wonderful schools for the deaf (and my daughter's is one great example) as you say, then I think you should be thanking all of those parents and hearing administrators for doing such a fine job.

That's pretty much all it took for some deaf schools.

faire joure, It's not as straightforward as that. Which California School for the Deaf are you talking about? There are two. One of them is not too academic. I can't remember which one thou. Meaning it's got some academic students, but many of the students have additional challenges.
Not to mention that many of the students may have arrived there after being mainstreamed with innapropreate instruction/programs. It is very rare to spend one's entire academic career at a school. ALSO, circumstances like poverty etc influences academic acheivement as well.

Oh, and Deafgal's link is for the dhh population as a WHOLE. Not Deaf School kids, not dhh or solotaire mainstream. The pediatric dhh population as a WHOLE.....that means ORAL and mainstreamed kids too!

faire joure, It's not as straightforward as that. Which California School for the Deaf are you talking about? There are two. One of them is not too academic. I can't remember which one thou. Meaning it's got some academic students, but many of the students have additional challenges.
Not to mention that many of the students may have arrived there after being mainstreamed with innapropreate instruction/programs. It is very rare to spend one's entire academic career at a school. ALSO, circumstances like poverty etc influences academic acheivement as well.

We had a long discussion about it. Look up the STAR results for CSD. Both schools were doing poorly. 85% isn't a isolated problem, it is systemic failure.

What results are you looking for?

I wouldn't say its parents being "Unhappy".. You should check out Colorado school since its next to ya sometimes next year and come back here and let us know what you think ;)

This will be done for physics at the school -- Visual is so much better than aural.
YouTube - MIT sketching

THAT board is a small one compared to what they're planning in EACH classroom for the school. I am not going to say what I've seen/heard that they're going to install but I am going to say that anyone who sees it will be blown away :)

Yeah, I've seen that before. It's an old one. Here's a more recent one called "Crayon Physics." It's addictive!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hfeQRXMJt0]YouTube - Crayon Physics Deluxe[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back