Snubbing the Deaf community?

Being deaf since birth is easier than losing hearing later on in life.

I watched way too many people struggle with late-set deafness...

Being deaf since birth is easier than losing hearing later on in life.

I watched way too many people struggle with late-set deafness...

I would agree with that. Late-deafened can be a struggle. I am finding it hard, but most of the issues lie within myself.

We can speculate until the cows come home. The only real way to know her reasons would be to ask her.

We can speculate until the cows come home. The only real way to know her reasons would be to ask her.

Maybe I should clarify..I was using this situation as an example. My whole point was that if anyone ...hearing people, deaf people, or parents of deaf children make statements like this woman did (i.e. "I dont need the Deaf community or I am not interested in meeting people in the Deaf community") are they snubbing the Deaf community as a whole?

Maybe I should clarify..I was using this situation as an example. My whole point was that if anyone ...hearing people, deaf people, or parents of deaf children make statements like this woman did (i.e. "I dont need the Deaf community or I am not interested in meeting people in the Deaf community") are they snubbing the Deaf community as a whole?
I would say that if you made that assumption without knowing her reasons, you are reading in something that may not be there.

I would say that if you made that assumption without knowing her reasons, you are reading in something that may not be there.

It is an hypothetical question based on a situation I know of. I am talking about how I always hear of that comment made by so many people especially parents of deaf children.

the point is why reject us when we are just as human as you are?

It is an hypothetical question based on a situation I know of. I am talking about how I always hear of that comment made by so many people especially parents of deaf children.

the point is why reject us when we are just as human as you are?

So then you are saying the reason people make those statements is because they are snubbing the deaf community.

Well, those people certainly aren't interested in the deaf community. If you consider ignoring the deaf community "snubbing," then yea, that's what they are doing.

So then you are saying the reason people make those statements is because they are snubbing the deaf community.

In my opinion, oh yes...they are seeing us as one person rather than giving us the chance to interact with them and maybe establish friendships. They have already decided that they want nothing to do with us when we hadnt done anything to them.

Especially with parents of deaf children who say that their children don't need the Deaf community or need to meet Deaf children. That puts a knife through my heart because these Deaf children do not deserve this at all just because they use sign language.

In my opinion, oh yes...they are seeing us as one person rather than giving us the chance to interact with them and maybe establish friendships. They have already decided that they want nothing to do with us when we hadnt done anything to them.

Especially with parents of deaf children who say that their children don't need the Deaf community or need to meet Deaf children. That puts a knife through my heart because these Deaf children do not deserve this at all just because they use sign language.
Oh... that is where you confused me. Because in the post below, you are asking the question and then you changed it to assuming that was the intention. My bad.

It does to me too, I don't see how one doesn't need the deaf community.

The problem is most hearing parents seemed to listen to medical professionals but in reality they have no idea what it is like to be deaf, I mean it's so ridiculous that we have all these "hearing" professionals who are making decisions and telling parents what to do with their deaf child, who thinks sign language is no good or is a so so, deaf community a big no no but would mention cochlear implant and auditory-verbal and the hearing world. It doesn't matter to me if they mention cochlear implant, but what's so wrong with sign language? Sign language gets the message across perfectly well. They intend to forget that.

It does to me too, I don't see how one doesn't need the deaf community.

The problem is most hearing parents seemed to listen to medical professionals but in reality they have no idea what it is like to be deaf, I mean it's so ridiculous that we have all these "hearing" professionals who are making decisions and telling parents what to do with their deaf child, who thinks sign language is no good or is a so so, deaf community a big no no but would mention cochlear implant and auditory-verbal and the hearing world. It doesn't matter to me if they mention cochlear implant, but what's so wrong with sign language? Sign language gets the message across perfectly well. They intend to forget that.

:gpost: :gpost: :(

uncomfortable among the deaf people

She might not feel comfortable among the deaf people since she didn't know any sign language.

you know i sometimes feel that way as i did felt not comfortable among the deaf people whom sign language.
back to school where my children went, i was volunteer to help teacher so i met a non-born deaf lady but became deaf since she was 15. she wore both hearing aids and sign language. i was so glad to meet her as first deaf friend of my locally community.
i thought she and i became good friends and look after our hearing children. that was last maybe 4 months. every time i used the teletype to talk to her and she had never back to me. i stopped by at her home and said hello. i tried hard to be a wonderful friend to her. she seemed withdrawl from me as she perhap not interesting to meet me or know me. she and i departed. i did send the xmas cards and birthday cards to her and she did none back to her. i ran into her she saw me, she briefly said hi and chatted like 3 min. she left.
until i gave up on her so i realized she may not interesting me because i dont sign language at all. i was willing to learn if shes around to teach me. but nothing happened.
well i know it's sad.
as far i learned and studied abut deaf culture among the deaf and hearing world.
for me, i do care both sides of orally and sign language. i know i have seen deaf cultures put off not being friend with deaf with orally. i had seen those.
i sometimes feel comfortable among the deaf people in the neighborhood which i have no problem. i sometime look after and hoping to see if there is deaf family live at. :wave::P

I was raised in the hearing world without being taught any sign language. I believe that I would have benefited from having sign language because I have always been isolated in the hearing world. I have felt soooo alien and different enough that it's painful.

I learned a bit of basic sign language in my early 20's. One time, I had conversation in sign language with a college friend who was an interpreter and she knew what level of knowledge I had in sign. When we did that, I was like, OMG. It was almost like telepathy. I wasn't missing a word. It was so awesome that I wanted to cry.

I don't know why I didn't search hard enough for deaf communities around me. I guess, it's because I don't drive at all due to medical reasons and the deaf community locations are not close enough to where I have lived.

My hubby has absolutely no interest, even though he's slightly hearing impaired. He does have a funny speech that has always gotten him taken advantage of. We don't have many friends and any friends we have are always too dang busy or too far from where we live.

I think my disconnection from the deaf community has been detrimental on my life. I believe that if I had learned to be fluent in ASL and had contact with the deaf community, my chronic depression would have been easier to manage.

I was raised in the hearing world without being taught any sign language. I believe that I would have benefited from having sign language because I have always been isolated in the hearing world. I have felt soooo alien and different enough that it's painful.

I learned a bit of basic sign language in my early 20's. One time, I had conversation in sign language with a college friend who was an interpreter and she knew what level of knowledge I had in sign. When we did that, I was like, OMG. It was almost like telepathy. I wasn't missing a word. It was so awesome that I wanted to cry.

I don't know why I didn't search hard enough for deaf communities around me. I guess, it's because I don't drive at all due to medical reasons and the deaf community locations are not close enough to where I have lived.

My hubby has absolutely no interest, even though he's slightly hearing impaired. He does have a funny speech that has always gotten him taken advantage of. We don't have many friends and any friends we have are always too dang busy or too far from where we live.

I think my disconnection from the deaf community has been detrimental on my life. I believe that if I had learned to be fluent in ASL and had contact with the deaf community, my chronic depression would have been easier to manage.

Stories like yours and mine are what many parents of deaf children and those in the medical field keep on ignoring.

The other day, I was talking to my friend and she told me meeting this girl who is deaf but didnt know sign language. My friend told her about the Deaf community and ASL and the girl told her that she already knew about it but wasnt interested. She told my friend that she doesnt need the Deaf community and is not interested in meeting members of the Deaf community. Now, my question is...why say something like that? To me, this person and whoever else says that are snubbing the Deaf community for no reason. There are many of us who are part of it who want to be considered as equal humans so when people say stuff like that, they are looking down on us and basically saying that we arent worthy enough of their time.

I know I have my issues with the hearing world but I would never say "I dont need the hearing world and not interested in meeting any members of the hearing community." If I did, I would have missed out on great friendships with many hearing people, my hubby for one.

What do you think?

There are a lot of deaf people who are brought up and taught to hate us.

Back