Snubbing the Deaf community?

many kids raised oral are taught by professionals and parents and Deaf people are under educated, lack basic language skills, and so on.

I agree because I was raised to be ashamed of my deafness and I was very uneducated or lacked knowledge before learning ASL making me ignorant of people who were different from me. Now, I have a better insight of diversity.

As I implied above, a lot of the scorn also comes, ironically, from the big D community and that's just sad, too because there are a whole host of issues in this life that we could overcome by banding together as a political entity to level the playing field.

One thing that bothered me the most is being "forced" to be like the hearing people in life. "Forced" seems too strong of a word when it comes to being raised in the hearing world, but as children we had no choice in what our parents lead us into when it comes to education and communication.

I would not want to put this experience on anyone, but it happens all the time. Four years ago, I had a brain lesion and was a medical mystery for many months before I was diagnosed. Things got really weird and scary. I didn't think I was going to live.

One time, a couple of months before I was diagnosed, I had my very first migraine. My head didn't hurt much, but it felt so weird. It freaked me out so bad that I went to the E.R. The docs and the people there were so cold toward me. I was so terrified and not being able to understand what they're saying only made it worse. Plus, the lack of compassion was devastating. I even told them of my brain lesion and the ongoing investigation into it. Writing about this, well typing, brings back the feelings I had then.

The experience sure made it difficult for me to feel safe in this reality. It made my reality into such a horrible place to live in. My anxiety after that experience was so bad that my psychiatrist had to put me on Klonopin. Experiences like this makes me very attached to people who would make me feel safe - the "helpers." Would a parent subject their child through this, where they can't fit in either worlds?

I agree because I was raised to be ashamed of my deafness and I was very uneducated or lacked knowledge before learning ASL making me ignorant of people who were different from me. Now, I have a better insight of diversity.

I was also raised not to be ashamed of my hearing loss but to speak up about it and take full advantage of what hearing I have left. It has been a very positive and rewarding upbringing.

One thing that bothered me the most is being "forced" to be like the hearing people in life. "Forced" seems too strong of a word when it comes to being raised in the hearing world, but as children we had no choice in what our parents lead us into when it comes to education and communication.

I would not want to put this experience on anyone, but it happens all the time. Four years ago, I had a brain lesion and was a medical mystery for many months before I was diagnosed. Things got really weird and scary. I didn't think I was going to live.

One time, a couple of months before I was diagnosed, I had my very first migraine. My head didn't hurt much, but it felt so weird. It freaked me out so bad that I went to the E.R. The docs and the people there were so cold toward me. I was so terrified and not being able to understand what they're saying only made it worse. Plus, the lack of compassion was devastating. I even told them of my brain lesion and the ongoing investigation into it. Writing about this, well typing, brings back the feelings I had then.

The experience sure made it difficult for me to feel safe in this reality. It made my reality into such a horrible place to live in. My anxiety after that experience was so bad that my psychiatrist had to put me on Klonopin. Experiences like this makes me very attached to people who would make me feel safe - the "helpers." Would a parent subject their child through this, where they can't fit in either worlds?

I agree..

about the forcing oralism on you, did you ever get the impression from hearing people around you that you werent on the same level as they are?

I was also raised not to be ashamed of my hearing loss but to speak up about it and take full advantage of what hearing I have left. It has been a very positive and rewarding upbringing.

Very similar experience here, too.

I agree..

about the forcing oralism on you, did you ever get the impression from hearing people around you that you werent on the same level as they are?

I do. I think I am much smarter and more resourceful. Must be all in the therapy chosen.

I do. I think I am much smarter and more resourceful. Must be all in the therapy chosen.

Good one..I just wondered if others felt the same or gotten the same indirect message that I had growing up.

yes, I remember giving birth, I couldn't understand what was going on, and why they are putting me on oxygen mask and panicking but everything was fine. Kinda sad they can control your body and you can't understand a word they are saying why they are doing this or that. you know what's really weird. During a crisis, for some reason, my hearing that I have left get muffled even worst.

Very similar experience here, too.

Good to hear. And it is by no means has to do any thing with "audism, " either. Just a positive re-inforcement on self-esteem while growing up to take the full advantage of life.

Yes, I've gotten the impression from the hearing people that I was not on the same level with them. I was painfully aware that I was different. I even felt different from my hearing impaired classmates because I couldn't understand what they were saying, either. And that's because my deafness is so profound and they could hear way better than I could.

Somehow, I was able to learn how to speak so clearly and so well. I speak so well that people don't realize how deaf I am.

Lighthouse, the muffling of your hearing during a crisis is due to the stress response. When chaos happens with me, things get really weird. My senses would be quite different. It's like I've just been dropped onto an alien planet.

Another fantastic thread. I love these threads.

I hate to seem obsequious, but... I love to defend facts.
It's natural, inherit to the human race, to classify things. The science of classification its called taxonomy.
We classify from stones, passing through plants, animals and most of the things (living or not) we know. In some older civilizations, it was believed that a thing will come to exist, if it would have a name first, a classification or be named in the first place.

Having that in mind, its not weird to observe that we classify ourselves too.
These practice eventually got deformed. "Class" now has a bad meaning in our minds.
But that wont stop us to do it. We are classists. We like (as it was perfectly and clearly stated in other post) to be part of groups (classes).

(ugh... AGAIN) Obviously, the most important aspect of the deaf culture, is their language. Ergo, if I don't know SL, it will be very hard to me for desiring in the first place, to be part of that comunity, or to be interested in it.
Now, you might say "yes, but also the lack of audition is part of our cominity" and i'll say, of course it is, but it is not that what makes you a community (a group, a class)
Although several things are part of what we can call deaf culture, SL is the binding of all of them.

I'm not interested in be part of the Guarani ppl, simply because i don't speak guarani. But also, and i must confess, because i feel i dont have interest in their culture. That must be for several reasons, the most important, i assume, would be my ignorance, wich leads me to think that they're not important (im thinking this right now, as i write)
I say this, because i don't know japanese or chinese, but im very interested in their culture. You can see a bit of racism there.

Having pulled this, I feel i'm part of the deaf comunity. I wasnt interested in it before, in part, maybe, for the same reason than the guarani, but... then again, i didnt know there could be a "deaf comunity". Im glad i know now there is. And im glad i know them. Not because they're good. I mean, they have their good and bads just like everyone else (just like me). But because it opened my mind is that i feel gratefull to them.

I don't want to take advantage of the fact that we wont probably see our faces never, that this is internet and we can say anything we want.
BUT... buttkisses, we discussed before some months ago.
You keep your comments in the agressive line. The only thing you left us to think is that you have a great ignorance regarding the subject, and great denial.

According to most of you, there is just no way a deaf person can be happy without deaf culture. You use terms like Deaf, and deaf, and hearies and you want to put everyone in this nice neat little category and if some one doesn't fit, you make them fit with assumptions and a new category. God forbid any one deaf person should ever live a happy fulfilled life as a deaf person that does not fit into your nice neat little acronyms.

Wow, dude. We have something in common right now, while you read this. We belong to some group. We're part of a group that has the same customs, values and goals than me.
They might differ from mine, some values. But most of the ideology, its similar enough to keep me right here. To keep you right there.
Obviously you havent thought in the comsecuences of being isolated, discriminated, against your will.
Not sure of your anger, i mean, the reason of it.
But i'd reconsider. Not because of them (us?) but because of you.
I guarantee- You'll feel much more happy the day that you understand how important these matters are.

Ok ever since I got my aids my family been weird with me they are like take them off and look like a hearie

Ok ever since I got my aids my family been weird with me they are like take them off and look like a hearie

Correct me if I am mistaken.

You are hearing and you are using the hearing aids because you feel they help you with either situation -

1. You fit in society.

2. The HAs help you learn better.

3. You want to be a Deaf person.

4. You just want them.

There are societal implications for an abled bodied person to disable him/herself.

This is why I ask you this question to make you understand the consequences to actions.

It's natural, inherit to the human race, to classify things. The science of classification its called taxonomy.
We classify from stones, passing through plants, animals and most of the things (living or not) we know. In some older civilizations, it was believed that a thing will come to exist, if it would have a name first, a classification or be named in the first place.

*snip*.

Darwinism - Survival of the fittest.

There's a line near his avatar that says he's deaf.

Oh, thanks 2C! Appreciate the help, big time - thanks.

My apologies inmate23 if you felt offended by my previous post - not intended at all, just offering an outside perspective.

Hmm, you're Deaf and they say this, this is sad.

"Act like a hearie", ouch. Just like telling you to be what you are not.

But mum(40% loss) and grandad(cochlea implantable) are the poster child for speech therapy they have near normal speech (no aids)

I got my first aids when I went into foster care. Mum has a bad pulling them out of my ears and screwing with the remote pairing.

I cant say most sounds thanks audio processing disorder.

Touching your ears, pulling your HAs, etc.. it is your physical body.

No one has a right to physically touch you much less pull your accessibility devices away from you. To "tinker" with the HAs actually causes problems for your learning and language acquisition; I feel you.

I hope there is a better resolution for you in the near future.

Hang in there. :hug:

Back