Snubbing the Deaf community?

Ok, I can go there. Grab torches and pitchforks, too.

sallylou-albums-misc-picture3907-angrymob.jpg

:lol: Stamp him with the "Deaf power" stamp!

The other day, I was talking to my friend and she told me meeting this girl who is deaf but didnt know sign language. My friend told her about the Deaf community and ASL and the girl told her that she already knew about it but wasnt interested. She told my friend that she doesnt need the Deaf community and is not interested in meeting members of the Deaf community. Now, my question is...why say something like that? To me, this person and whoever else says that are snubbing the Deaf community for no reason. There are many of us who are part of it who want to be considered as equal humans so when people say stuff like that, they are looking down on us and basically saying that we arent worthy enough of their time.

I know I have my issues with the hearing world but I would never say "I dont need the hearing world and not interested in meeting any members of the hearing community." If I did, I would have missed out on great friendships with many hearing people, my hubby for one.

What do you think?

Some deaf people who grew up with spoken language probably feel overwhelmed by it that the thought of learning a new language such as sign language is too exhausting for them. I don't know that's her case, but it is on my case. I'm tired to the point that I'm scare to learn a new language that would make me more exhausted. Spoken language have left a bitter taste in my mouth, but I have no choice but keep using it (especially when none of my family know sign language.. we all are older now so it gets harder)

Some deaf people who grew up with spoken language probably feel overwhelmed by it that the thought of learning a new language such as sign language is too exhausting for them. I don't know that's her case, but it is on my case. I'm tired to the point that I'm scare to learn a new language that would make me more exhausted. Spoken language have left a bitter taste in my mouth, but I have no choice but keep using it (especially when none of my family know sign language.. we all are older now so it gets harder)

At least you are honest about it instead of saying something stupid like "I dont need the Deaf community."

My sisters keep sending me music videos (via email)! I used to just delete them....now I just reply and say "WTF"!.....Did ya forgot ya got a deaf sister?

Being "in-between" isn't easy. And being deaf since birth is even harder.

There's a difference between talking about issues/getting support and alleged "whineyness." I think that I've adjusted well, if I do say so myself. :lol:

I really wasn't saying that specific people or all late-deafened people are "whineyness". I guess I wasn't really making much sense yesterday and I apologize if it came out wrong.

My sisters keep sending me music videos (via email)! I used to just delete them....now I just reply and say "WTF"!.....Did ya forgot ya got a deaf sister?

I also get them from friends and family. Kind of makes me wonder if they really read the email I send.

I thought you became deaf at 14?

I dont consider being deaf since birth such hardship. The only thing that was so hard was being raised as a "hearing" person when I was never one.

KristinaB, my post above was in response to BoW's blatant use of the word "whine." Sorry for the confusion. :wave:

Back