Snubbing the Deaf community?

Well, I sure haven't seen anyone bragging about their speaking abilities only that they're glad that they learned how to speak. So what? It's the same as how a deaf person say they can hear better with cochlear implant than they did with hearing aids. Again so what. Why does it bother you guys?

Speaking and signing at the same time is not ASL. There are different sign languages which are LSQ, Auslan, and so on. SEE and Sim-Com arent part of sign languages because they arent languages themselves.

This thread is not about how well a deaf person can speak or can hear. This is a thread about people saying that they dont need the Deaf community and seeing all of us as one person rather than as individual with different personalities, ambitions, backgrounds, and quirks.

Sorry to intrude on the conversation, but I think you bring up a really interesting point. If two people are having issues communicating, regardless of whether they are both deaf or both hearing, they're both going to have to make concessions. If one person isn't willing to repeat what they said or sign slower, then those two people aren't going to be able to hold much of a conversation.

I don't sign well at all. I'm just learning and although I practice a lot and try my hardest, it's a slow process and there will be lots I don't understand for a very long time to come. If a fluent signer doesn't want to take the time to sign with me, doesn't want to repeat signs or fingerspell slower, then we don't have much of a chance of communicating and it's going to be a waste of both our time.

I understand that and it doesn't bother me. If someone is willing to take the time to help me out, then I know they are genuinely interested in getting to know me. Sometimes people don't want to have to put much effort into just conversing, and signing with me is probably a chore. I appreciate those who are willing, but I'm not offended when people don't want to make the effort. I understand, it's not their job.

I think it's also important to remember that just because one person doesn't want to try and sign with me, doesn't mean the next person is going to feel the same way. You just have to evaluate every person you meet as an individual, no matter if they're Deaf, deaf, or hearing.

No problem! Your input is always appreciated.:wave:

Yes, shel, it's stereotyping. It's not treating people as individuals.

In any group of people, there are going to be people with whom you "click" and people with whom you don't feel a connection. You may not share any common interests with certain people. It's ignorant to dismiss a whole group of people without getting to know each one as an individual. It's wrong to attribute the actions of one deaf person to the entire deaf culture. As humans, we are often sloppy thinkers.

If I'd read more carefully, I would have noticed that nope already made this point.

You just have to evaluate every person you meet as an individual, no matter if they're Deaf, deaf, orhearing.

Yes, shel, it's stereotyping. It's not treating people as individuals.

In any group of people, there are going to be people with whom you "click" and people with whom you don't feel a connection. You may not share any common interests with certain people. It's ignorant to dismiss a whole group of people without getting to know each one as an individual. It's wrong to attribute the actions of one deaf person to the entire deaf culture. As humans, we are often sloppy thinkers.

So what do you think of those parents who say that their deaf kids dont need to be around deaf children or deaf adults especially those who are ASL users?

I think it is setting a very bad example.

I think that those parents are audists who are hurting their own children. I wish that I had been brought up in deaf culture. My family had too much shame and denial to join the deaf community. I won't make that mistake. I very much appreciate the deaf community. I don't know what I would do without it.

Speaking and signing at the same time is not ASL. There are different sign languages which are LSQ, Auslan, and so on. SEE and Sim-Com arent part of sign languages because they arent languages themselves.

This thread is not about how well a deaf person can speak or can hear. This is a thread about people saying that they dont need the Deaf community and seeing all of us as one person rather than as individual with different personalities, ambitions, backgrounds, and quirks.

Did someone say quirk??? :wave:

I personally do not think there is anything wrong with people making individual choices that impact their lives and their happiness. However, would you find a cure for blackness, Judaism, homosexuality? These are cultures; they have distinct social patterns and in some case a very distinct language. As much as you say it is a selfless act it is also the imposition of the majority upon the minority. The statement that 75% of the deaf population would welcome a cure is a big assumption as well as a majority mentality placing a hierarchy upon hearing ability.
As for self-esteem that also can be contributed to the majority. If the majority sees a flaw and seeks to correct or eradicate it that sends a negative message to a developing ego. It is human nature to accept and it is human nature to belong. When the statement was made that we need social groups to function that is a true statement. Unfortunately, due to the oppressive nature of the majority many seek to associate themselves with that in order to avoid the harshness placed upon the sub-group they most identify with (Taylor & Moghaddam, 1994). I could not venture to say why the woman reacted, behaved, responded the way she did. It would be disrespectful to assume her reasons or anyone else.
As for the word “normal” is concerned I would encourage you to read Deborah Britzman as she discuss the societal pressure of this word and the desire of the majority to define this word in order to oppress those who are different. She also talks about the process of labeling and who decides these labels.

Final note, I encourage people to find self then community but the saying goes it takes a village to raise a child and when we refuse children that village the self becomes a greater struggle.

"Normal" is a setting on a washing machine. I don't think it applies to people.

Too many deafies are whiners!

From what I've seen, most of the whiney deaffies are the late-deafened. It is very hard to adjust. I don't mean to whine but sometimes it comes out that way. I personally feel that I can now empathize with others in my position and I understand more and more of the issues that the deaf community has to deal with. Having been on both sides (hearing and deaf) I think I prefer the deaf, but I have to live with the hearing. I would never "snub" the deaf community, just like I can't "snub" the hearing. I would like to co-exist with both and I know it can be done. There are a bunch on AD that are doing just that.

From what I've seen, most of the whiney deaffies are the late-deafened.

There's a difference between talking about issues/getting support and alleged "whineyness." I think that I've adjusted well, if I do say so myself. :lol:

There's a difference between talking about issues/getting support and alleged "whineyness." I think that I've adjusted well, if I do say so myself. :lol:

I can say that you have adjusted pretty well.

This is a place to come and vent our frustrations so if anyone whines, let them. It is good to get it all out. :) However, if someone is bothered by that when it has nothing to do with that person, come on! That's silly. Just my opinion.

Thanks, shel. :aw:

Yea, the what bothers me about hearies is a thread like that. Just blowing off steam on that one. :lol:

Thanks, shel. :aw:

Yea, the what bothers me about hearies is a thread like that. Just blowing off steam on that one. :lol:

Oh well..let them be bothered by it.

Anyways, I LOVE your avatar! That's hilarous!

When I found this avatar, I thought it was hysterical. Sort of sums up life these days! :lol:

Oh dear. I would go after you with a lot of sarcastic invective, but I am feeling mellow and these nasty little childish taunts of yours will be removed anyway.

Lol. I'm not in such a mellow mood. i think he should be poked with a hot branding iron.

Back