Sign in if you're proud to be Deaf

I don't know what is it that's "pride in deafness." Deafness can be difficult to live with at times, so I don't think it's all what it's cracked up to be. I can get a goodnight sleep, such as on July 5th a thunderstorm at 3 am, told by mom, but I didn't hear it.

I am not sure that I can say it's something to be proud of or excited about. It's just deafness, but I accept it and live with it as I have it, but to rave about it? What's to rave about it....exactly?

I can see we're on the 4th page now... and I can't remember if I did say I'm in on several page back cuz I'm too lazy to look for it... so I'M IN!

Deafness can be difficult to live with at times, so I don't think it's all what it's cracked up to be. I can get a goodnight sleep, such as on July 5th a thunderstorm at 3 am, told by mom, but I didn't hear it.
So? Many of my GLB friends say that being GLB is extremely difficult. Yet many of them are proud about it. Being deaf or hoh isn't easy....but neither is being a woman, being black, being anything in this society but a middle class white guy.
I am not sure that I can say it's something to be proud of or excited about. It's just deafness, but I accept it and live with it as I have it,
Well I am the queen of hearing aids. Have always loved them, even when I was a little kid and first got them. (a lot of little kids hate them when they first get theirs) I love being able to hear....but I also love being deaf...and I am damn proud of it. Some of my friends are proud of their heritiges....it's the same way with being dhh.....some of my friends are proud to be blind or proud to be in wheelchairs or proud to be GLB or proud to be female and so on.
but to rave about it? What's to rave about it....exactly/
We can choose to listen or not. You have NO idea how many of my hearing friends have told me that they wish they could turn off their hearing the way I do (I am and have been notorious for turning my hearing aids off on people)
We don't have to hear things like thunder or be scared by fire engines or if someone plays music we hate we can just turn our aids or CIs off. Being able to hear RAWKS....but being able to be deaf is just as good as being hearing!

I do have the idea that some hearing people want to turn off their hearing. They don't have any clue what things they take for granted. I am sure if they were deaf for a day or a week or a month, they'd want to go back. I feel some weights lifted off my shoulder as part of my CI. It's an improvement. Still, I don't know what it is to rock on about deafness. I feel weird going long periods of time without hearing. I feel weird going anywhere without my CI.

It's fine if you like it, but I also have my own point of view. Ain't nothing wrong with my views. What does GLB, dhh...what do they mean? Is dhh +deaf hard of hearing?

The director of disability office at my college uses a powered wheelchair. Biking accident, married to a wife that walks and has children. He rocks about his chair and his disability, even has a frame of the statue of liberty in a wheelchair and the wheelchair barbie. It shows he's adapted well, but when it comes to reading a poem of his--he does express some of his frustrations.

HelloKittyGal said:
I don't know what is it that's "pride in deafness." Deafness can be difficult to live with at times, so I don't think it's all what it's cracked up to be. I can get a goodnight sleep, such as on July 5th a thunderstorm at 3 am, told by mom, but I didn't hear it.

I am not sure that I can say it's something to be proud of or excited about. It's just deafness, but I accept it and live with it as I have it, but to rave about it? What's to rave about it....exactly?

Exactly. I agree. Everyday, I realize that I miss out on some things by being deaf. Hearing people take their hearing for granted, and YES, I agree, if they went a week or so without hearing, they'd want to go back. There are hassles that go along with being deaf, such as having to go through hearing test procedures, speech lessons, etc, but it's stuff that I am willing to work on to be able to communicate better with the hearing world. I still would give ANYTHING to be able to have normal hearing, and be able to talk to people on the phone instead of having to use relay, text messaging, etc etc.

Of course it is one advantage to be able to turn off my hearing aid if I don't want to hear something, but that is a VERY rare thing because I hardly turn my aid off. I love sounds. That's just one advantage compared to the numerous advantages that hearing people have.

even tho this thread might not have been used for a good while, but yeah I'm def in :)

yeah i am i don't need cochlear implant and to keep my good health that god kept us being that way to love ourselves because of his loveness, joyness, and faithfully to our heart and have our heart give to hearing people who sometimes are not good heart same with defeating against evil deaf people's heart don't need to listen to evil hearing or deaf people. love whoever u are not what your body is. so be happy with you being deaf no matter what.

Proud Mexican

I'm Mexican, I was born that way, but I'm not "proud" of it.

How you can you be proud of something you had no control over?

I'm proud to know ASL that took effort!

I dont get why people haveto say "I am proud to be deaf" Its not a big deal, you were born or became deaf later in life, big deal.. Its not much to be proud of. Sure I am deaf, so waht, that who i am. Its not like we won an award or anything. If you won an gold medal for being deaf, which is like totally ridiculous, that would be like a different story. Do you hear people saying "I am proud that I got cancer" " I am proud that I got Cerbal Palsey" "I am proud that i have learning disabilities" i dont think so. So whats the difference?

I so agree with Jess (Darkangel8603).

And SilenceGold who said many, many posts away: "I'm amazed that many of you all say that you're all proud to be deaf...yet you complain about the limitations of being deaf. :p"

Being deaf definitely is not something to be cracked up about. Sure, deafness can have it's advantage at times, but it really sucks being limited to many things like going to the movies, going to the concerts, listening to music, having a romantic moment with your boyfriend/girlfriend that you have to look at them in the face all the time due to barriers.

It also sucks to be stared at when you're with your friends and signing. It sucks to go to fast food resturaunts or regular ones, and getting your order mixed up because of the barrier.

It's so not kosher being deaf, because it sucks. Sure, I like the way I am. The only thing I'm not happy with is my deafness. I don't go around like "I'M DEAF, AND I'M COOL. SO F#CK OFF".

... yeah.

I'm in

I am proud to be me. I lost my hearing at 26 so I can say that it sucks knowing what sounds everything makes, being able to talk on the phone watch tv without captions, then to not have hearing, But I deal with it and maybe if I was born deaf and didn't know I would think differently

Be proud to be you and don't ever wish you were someone else, cause you might just get what you wish for. Only to find out that the grass definitly was NOT greener on the other side, and it sucks.

Wow, this thread is over one year old and still active :shock: But what the heck....it's not too late to declare proudly that I am definitely IN!!!! :D

there is only one correct answer to this question and that is YES I AM IN :wiggle: !!!

I could hear when I was younger, too. I know what it's like to be able to hear everything and know what I'm missing. But I'm happy to be who I am and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Back