Sign in if you're proud to be Deaf

I am DEFINATELY IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;) None can stop my pride as deaf man!!!

HelloKittyGal said:
I don't know what is it that's "pride in deafness." Deafness can be difficult to live with at times, so I don't think it's all what it's cracked up to be. I can get a goodnight sleep, such as on July 5th a thunderstorm at 3 am, told by mom, but I didn't hear it.

I am not sure that I can say it's something to be proud of or excited about. It's just deafness, but I accept it and live with it as I have it, but to rave about it? What's to rave about it....exactly?

I understand how you feeling..but u got to accept what kind of disability u are carrying...let me share example with you, I knew a person who are using scooter due to physical disability, very young person with awesome trainer skills. I was amazed by her talents and she took in pride for who she is. The negatives and all things didnt stop her from fight to prove her pride and advocate other who have similar experiences as her. So now come back to point...we as deaf, what block us from experiencing completely freedom is we cant hear, so there is no point to be shamed...be happy and there are special purpose for who you are so u can use your talents and experiences to assist other who are approaching same situations as you!

I never felt sorry for myself as being deaf! I am always happy person, God created who I am. Of course, I do get frustrating in hearing world..but I learned to conquer the struggle to become smooth communicate with hearing people via interpreter or paper & pen...there is NOTHING wrong....

I dont force you to share the pride we are carrying in alldeaf.com but we wanted to show you how indentify as deaf person really mean to us and what will it impact others?

I hope you can anylze your own to discover who you are.

darkangel8603 said:
I dont get why people haveto say "I am proud to be deaf" Its not a big deal, you were born or became deaf later in life, big deal.. Its not much to be proud of. Sure I am deaf, so waht, that who i am. Its not like we won an award or anything. If you won an gold medal for being deaf, which is like totally ridiculous, that would be like a different story. Do you hear people saying "I am proud that I got cancer" " I am proud that I got Cerbal Palsey" "I am proud that i have learning disabilities" i dont think so. So whats the difference?

Well, I'm hearing so maybe I shouldn't even chime in here, but I think it means I love myself, I accept myself, I empower myself, I know that I'm perfect just the way I am.

I must be honest, I have felt bummed at times by people using DeafPride to mean hate hearies. I don't think it has to be that at all, it's an affirmation of your identity as a Deaf person and your culture, and you take pride in it. It doesn't mean you don't realize the challenges. Big Spike, if you're out there, you're the perfect example, you have Deaf Pride, but look how compassionate you were to me. You're my man, Big Spike!

I dont get why people haveto say "I am proud to be deaf" Its not a big deal, you were born or became deaf later in life, big deal.. Its not much to be proud of. Sure I am deaf, so waht, that who i am. Its not like we won an award or anything. If you won an gold medal for being deaf, which is like totally ridiculous, that would be like a different story. Do you hear people saying "I am proud that I got cancer" " I am proud that I got Cerbal Palsey" "I am proud that i have learning disabilities" i dont think so. So whats the difference?

I agree with dark angel .... why say that you're proud to be deaf? .... that's like saying you like being handicapped whatever it may be. IMO, I would prefer to say, I'm proud of myself being able to adapt in the predominately hearing world.

I agree with dark angel .... why say that you're proud to be deaf? .... that's like saying you like being handicapped whatever it may be. IMO, I would prefer to say, I'm proud of myself being able to adapt in the predominately hearing world.

I have to disagree. by us saying we are proud to be Deaf means:

We are proud of our culture
We are proud of what we can do, and accomplish
We are proud of who we are.
We have accepted the fact we are Deaf.

and Yeah I am also IN! :)

I'm proud to be a member of AllDeaf.
I'm proud of my sister who has handled deafness with aplomb for 71 years.
I'm proud of all my deafie friends.

However, I'm not proud to be deaf, but neither am I ashamed. I just am.

Exactly how it should be said .... did you read my blurp a few pages up. Do you agree with me?

While my deafness is definitely a part of me, and always will be, I can't say I'm 'proud' of it - it simply is a fact of life for me. With my CI I also now have the option of being able to hear, AND being deaf when I chose. I prefer to have my life defined by who I am, and my actions, not my deafness.

Exactly how it should be said .... did you read my blurp a few pages up. Do you agree with me?

Yup, and I agree with what you said about it being okay if different people having different opinions. For me, I can understand pride in deafness, as I'm proud of some things others may think strange.

Um... being proud of deafness, count me OUT.
But accepting my deafness count me in.

Big difference.

Reason?
* Missing out so much stuff.
* Limitations.
* Unnecessary challenges.
* Communication breakdown.
* Getting judged in a negative way about my disability.
* Can't hear important sounds like fire alarm, emergency siren, baby crying or if someone got hurt, if natural disaster happened in my sleep or when my CI battery died I wouldn't know, and that's scariest thing ever.
* I want to be able to just walk up to hearing person and start conversating no problem or being able to have small talk and respond to people talking to me.
* 1000000 reasons I'm not proud to be deaf.

BUT I do love ASL. If its totally my choice I'd rather to be Hearing that know ASL. But I'm deaf so I accept it and try to lessen the effect of being deaf much as I can. Hence the CI to hear important sound in my waking hours, hear if people say excuse me or talk to me behind my back I'd acknowledge it and turn around to smile or point at my ear. Being able to understand people talking to me much better but I wish I can speak back but I'll work on my confidence to use my speech and practice to get it back in shape as for now CI's been wonderful help.

Also on the note, I'm not trying to be hearing! Why is it that if you get CI you were "trying to be hearing"??? I'm so tired of seeing this "I don't want CI cuz I'm proud to be deaf" but hearing aid is fine and automatically is acceptable but CI automatically mean to try to be hearing? Just stop doing this immature bs please.

why do you care ? Why you're here? Doesn't make sense!
you're not proud yourself Deaf..

you throw huge mixed the signal for everyone..
*scratching my head*.. r u member of alldeaf and other website too.. you're not proud Deaf. what heck r u using Deaf's website.. you supposed be over there hearing site.. all you want be part of hearing..

:crazy:

What other website? Can you back up on that accusation please.

You just horribly offended me with that comment you stated above "you're supposed to be over there in hearing site all I want is be part of hearing" when I clearly stated on bottom of my post above your post is I'm NOT trying to be hearing. So you just totally disrespected me.

Also I have every right to be member of alldeaf since it clearly stated "ALL deaf" not "proud deaf only" so its website for all deaf proud or not, accepted or not, hoh or deaf or hearies, oralist, cued speech, asl, bsl, etc.

Where does it say "if you're not proud of being deaf, get out"? Reason I'm member of this website is because I enjoy this site a lot, current events, see other people experiences, stories, jokes, pictures, all stuff here I love it, so I'm not leaving alldeaf like it or not.

I think we're all saying we're proud to be making the best of being deaf. We all know it's sometimes a huge effort, because every day we face the same barriers again and again with a few new ones thrown in.

That's plenty to be proud of.

I think we're all saying we're proud to be making the best of being deaf. We all know it's sometimes a huge effort, because every day we face the same barriers again and again with a few new ones thrown in.

That's plenty to be proud of.

:gpost: Way to go!! The last line is the better way of saying it.

I am IN after so many years of being ashamed of it. Now, I am happy that I am no longer ashamed of it. :)

Back