Sign for Names

neverlandbyrd

Reaction score
I wondered, where to the signs for names come from? My teacher is Svetlana and her sign name is just "s" shaken, and Wanda is "W" over your heart at your chest, then Bob is just B-O-B, is there a rule on how you come up with the sign or just whatever you want it to be?

Svetlana? Is she coming from Russia? I am curious. :) My sign name is "J" on my chest like a "Happy" or "Joy" sign. You said where is sign names coming from?? It's part of Sign languages to call people for sign name instead of finger spelling. Hearing with non sign languages do not have sign name for everyone. Just use voice and call someone's name. It's different.

If you are hearing, a deaf person assigns you your sign name. It is usually based on some identifying characteristic of that person.

The naming custom has been discussed quite a bit at AllDeaf, but I can't find an exclusive thread, so this one is a good place to bring them together.

I was christened Charles, so like Jillio explained, my deaf older sister gave me the ASL name "Right C-hand thumb on chin" because of my predominant chin. The only problem was the lower part of the face is the female half, and as I got older I didn't like a "girly-looking" name.

So when I was nicknamed "Chase," she changed my name to ASL for "chase," the right A-hand chasing the left A-hand across the torso.

How are others named?

There is a book by Samuel J. Supalla called The Book of Name Signs, Naming in American Sign Language (Dawn Sign Press, 1992) that explains name signs and their origins. The book shows illustrations of common name signs for each letter of the alphabet.

The naming custom has been discussed quite a bit at AllDeaf, but I can't find an exclusive thread, so this one is a good place to bring them together.

I was christened Charles, so like Jillio explained, my deaf older sister gave me the ASL name "Right C-hand thumb on chin" because of my predominant chin. The only problem was the lower part of the face is the female half, and as I got older I didn't like a "girly-looking" name.

So when I was nicknamed "Chase," she changed my name to ASL for "chase," the right A-hand chasing the left A-hand across the torso.

How are others named?

Mine would be the "j" above the heart. My son gave it to me, placed at the heart because he "loves me."

I have posted in other thread as Reba show....

My speech teacher gave me a sign name because I always smile. :J:

Mine would be the "j" above the heart. My son gave it to me, placed at the heart because he "loves me."

is your sign name is "J" on your middle of chest "heart" ?? Same here! My mom gave me a sign name since I was 3 years old. Because she gave me a nickname of Joy like a happy. I am thinking about put "j" on collar like necklace with jewelry. Because "j" on chest heart is common sign.

There is a book by Samuel J. Supalla called The Book of Name Signs, Naming in American Sign Language (Dawn Sign Press, 1992) that explains name signs and their origins. The book shows illustrations of common name signs for each letter of the alphabet.

The book was exactly what I thought of when I read this thread. If I'm not mistaken, the book also explains there are two different kinds of sign names: traditional and descriptive. There are many cultural and lingustic (ASL) rules about assigning and using name signs. My name sign is descriptive and it was given to me by my first teacher who was not deaf but a CODA (but the classroom aide, who was culturally Deaf approved of name sign) - since I loved to draw (and not pay attention to him), my name sign has to do with drawing on the palm. My traditional name sign is different - it has the first letter of my name on my upper left chest. I now use the descriptive sign name only. :)

There was a big problem with hearing teachers (especially those who teach the youngest kids) assigning sign names at the deaf school where I used to work...they didn't follow the "rules" of assigning name signs. I finally marched down and told them to stop doing that...that they need to ask d/Deaf adults for advice (to be more sensitive of Deaf culture). Some of the sign names that they had given to the kids were so inappropriate and way off. One teacher assigned a kid's sign name to be "A" on the forehead...it looked like the sign for "dumb." I was like, "Nooooo!"

I don't really have a sign name. The sign name I had was the same as everyone else since we grew up in a mainstream school that used MMS. As time went by, my deaf friends developed their own sign names... but mine remained the same. Even today, it remains the same. :)

At res-cool, dhh peerz brought that idea signed mah nam w/ 1st initial fingerspellin "letter" n' then showed a sign of abbreviation \m/_ that means they <3'd me. I was a popular senior in h.s. campus.

is your sign name is "J" on your middle of chest "heart" ?? Same here! My mom gave me a sign name since I was 3 years old. Because she gave me a nickname of Joy like a happy. I am thinking about put "j" on collar like necklace with jewelry. Because "j" on chest heart is common sign.

He actually makes it to left of center, so that's where I have always made it.

Would it be valid if I changed my name sign or would it have to be someone else deaf to give it to me? I don't remember whom gave me the name sign, I believe it was my pre-kindergarten teacher (now-deceased) that gave it to me. She was hearing. Maybe I need to ask my mother and see where I was given the name sign in the first place.

Same! Not for me, but for my boyfriend. His name starts with a J too and he is a wonderful person, very much a loving person so a deaf friend of ours suggested the "J" at the heart, and it is a perfect fit!

Would it be valid if I changed my name sign or would it have to be someone else deaf to give it to me? I don't remember whom gave me the name sign, I believe it was my pre-kindergarten teacher (now-deceased) that gave it to me. She was hearing. Maybe I need to ask my mother and see where I was given the name sign in the first place.

If your're deaf, I don't see why you can't change it yourself. What is it that you don't like about the sign name you have now? Does it not represent you at all? if not, then pick something that does. Keep in mind that if everyone knows you by the name sign you have now, people may get confused if you change?

Svetlana? Is she coming from Russia? I am curious. :) My sign name is "J" on my chest like a "Happy" or "Joy" sign. You said where is sign names coming from?? It's part of Sign languages to call people for sign name instead of finger spelling. Hearing with non sign languages do not have sign name for everyone. Just use voice and call someone's name. It's different.

I don't think my teacher is from Russia, maybe adopted from Russia, that's a really popular thing to do around here, I know a dozen people who were adpoted from Russia or did the adopting, my aunt included-her daughter is from Russia. So quite possibly!

I can understand why you'd want one simple sign for a name instead of fingerspelling all the time! Talkers have sort of nicknames too, instead of Jacob we say Jake, Jennifer is Jenny, Meredith is Mere, and such! So that makes sense. I just wondered if the signs meant that name in a direct translation, but I guess from what I've read of your posts that many times you are given a name that is a quality of who you are/what kind of person you are, joyful, smiley, short, tall, etc?

I don't think my teacher is from Russia, maybe adopted from Russia, that's a really popular thing to do around here, I know a dozen people who were adpoted from Russia or did the adopting, my aunt included-her daughter is from Russia. So quite possibly!

I can understand why you'd want one simple sign for a name instead of fingerspelling all the time! Talkers have sort of nicknames too, instead of Jacob we say Jake, Jennifer is Jenny, Meredith is Mere, and such! So that makes sense. I just wondered if the signs meant that name in a direct translation, but I guess from what I've read of your posts that many times you are given a name that is a quality of who you are/what kind of person you are, joyful, smiley, short, tall, etc?

Well, talkers also use pronouns like "him" and "her" a lot, and the deaf have a different way to denote that. Also, keep in mind that, just like with nicknames, the sign names are not used wxcept in informal situations where everyone knows each other and recognizes the sign name. Upon introduction, or in a group that is not close to that person, the name would still be fingerspelled. It can be based on what kind of person, but not always. For instance I have Deaf friend Patrick whose name sign is a "P" being swung like a golf club because he is a golfer. My son adopted the "P" being shaken as in "purple" because his favorite color is purple. He gave one of his cousins the name sign "D" being swung across the non-donminant forearm as in "music" because he is a musician.

Same! Not for me, but for my boyfriend. His name starts with a J too and he is a wonderful person, very much a loving person so a deaf friend of ours suggested the "J" at the heart, and it is a perfect fit!

Cool!

Back