Semi-New Here...

jollyrj

Reaction score
Hi - I haven't been on this site for a long time and don't even remember if I introduced myself before.

Rachel from Oregon. Live in the hearing world, never was involved or active in the deaf community. Completely deaf in my left ear, wear a hearing aid in my right - considered "profoundly" deaf.

All my friends and family are from the hearing world and so am I but I'm super interested in getting connected more with people who understand how frustrating things can be, how disconnected I can feel, etc. I do not sign but I can read lips like a boss. No one can tell by the way I talk that I'm lacking in the hearing department.. I worked hard at that. Oh and looking to learn ASL. Actually, my friends are really pushing it as they want to learn alongside me.

Great to be back. :D

Hello. My name is Arii and I'm deaf in my right ear and have sever lost in my left. I use to have some hearing in my right up until 7 months ago. I only have a hearing aid for my right but don't use it so much anymore.

I'm distant from a lot of family and friends and they feel like since I can hear in my left a little then I must not be deaf or hard of hearing. Its really annoying and they don't see I need to look at the lips to understand so I just stay away.

I am learn ask and I use glide to practice if you ever what to.

Sent from my LGLS990 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Hi, jollyrj!! My name is Samuel, and i live very similarly to you. HoH, progressive loss. Sensoineural. Treated by a pair of analog ha's, somewhat. I'm 22 going on 23, and have been isolating myself from all because i am so tired of having to ask others to repeat themselves. I have an accent that some think is a speech impediment, due to my ha's, but is just an accent. I am very well-spoken for one with my capabilities, and none would know i am HoH if i do not tell them or speak to them, which i try not to if i can help it.I'd like to correspond with you often, as i have been feeling increasingly lonely as the days go by. I need to touch base with one who shares my experiences and knows my pain. Hope this doesn't get you down - i'm just being honest! :)

Hi, jollyrj!! My name is Samuel, and i live very similarly to you. HoH, progressive loss. Sensoineural. Treated by a pair of analog ha's, somewhat. I'm 22 going on 23, and have been isolating myself from all because i am so tired of having to ask others to repeat themselves. I have an accent that some think is a speech impediment, due to my ha's, but is just an accent. I am very well-spoken for one with my capabilities, and none would know i am HoH if i do not tell them or speak to them, which i try not to if i can help it.I'd like to correspond with you often, as i have been feeling increasingly lonely as the days go by. I need to touch base with one who shares my experiences and knows my pain. Hope this doesn't get you down - i'm just being honest! :)

I get what you are saying, I really do. In fact, when I read some posts on this site, I get literally a little teary because it's amazing how people here "get it". Try not to get down though .. communicate with the people you are close to exactly what you are feeling. Try not to go to a place of isolation. My people are very patient with me and always help me out a lot. I'm not self conscious about my situation at all and very outgoing about letting people know I can't hear them and to look at me when I talk. :P I'm always surprised how kind and patient even strangers are. :)

Feel free to chat whenever! I get it.. totally. Oh, and you said something about analogs.. I'm struggling with hearing aids right now. Someone suggested having my audi setup my digitals like analogs. I'm wondering if that's the key. How are you liking your analogs? What do you wear?

I get what you are saying, I really do. In fact, when I read some posts on this site, I get literally a little teary because it's amazing how people here "get it". Try not to get down though .. communicate with the people you are close to exactly what you are feeling. Try not to go to a place of isolation. My people are very patient with me and always help me out a lot. I'm not self conscious about my situation at all and very outgoing about letting people know I can't hear them and to look at me when I talk. :P I'm always surprised how kind and patient even strangers are. :)

Feel free to chat whenever! I get it.. totally. Oh, and you said something about analogs.. I'm struggling with hearing aids right now. Someone suggested having my audi setup my digitals like analogs. I'm wondering if that's the key. How are you liking your analogs? What do you wear?
I try to stay positive; even during a depressive outbreak. (Which is super difficult, to say the least).
As for communicating to those close to me, i literally have no one close to me. That's why i joined this site - to find people who share similar experiences as i, and to potentially make friends. I don't have friends because many of the people i work with/live with just aren't a match for me. I need someone who is patient, willing to meet me halfway, and to walk in my shoes. To listen without jumping to conclusions.
Yes, there are kind strangers - but kind strangers are easy to find. Friends must be established through time and effort. I don't view anybody as a friend unless they accomodate and assist me as i would them.

I've had analogs for most of my adult life. They're a tool to me, and that's all. Most of the time; when i am not working, i do not wear them. I want to be deaf. :)

I try to stay positive; even during a depressive outbreak. (Which is super difficult, to say the least).
As for communicating to those close to me, i literally have no one close to me. That's why i joined this site - to find people who share similar experiences as i, and to potentially make friends. I don't have friends because many of the people i work with/live with just aren't a match for me. I need someone who is patient, willing to meet me halfway, and to walk in my shoes. To listen without jumping to conclusions.
Yes, there are kind strangers - but kind strangers are easy to find. Friends must be established through time and effort. I don't view anybody as a friend unless they accomodate and assist me as i would them.

I've had analogs for most of my adult life. They're a tool to me, and that's all. Most of the time; when i am not working, i do not wear them. I want to be deaf. :)
I enjoy just reading the stories that people share on here. Makes me smile, makes me sad, but above all, i can FEEL! I detach myself from emotion when interacting with hearing people, but not with HoH people

Hey Rachel what kind of hearing aids are you wearing? I always had a anolog one but when I turned 18 I got a new one ( digital) and I hate it. I only wear the new one at university because of the FM gadget and in my spare time I still wear my old ones. I unfortunately can't change the program of my new one to analog because it's already a older model( almost 6 years old now) I grew up with a anolog one so maybe that's why I have problems dealing with the new one. The analog one is definately better in noisy situations( bars, Clubs etv.)
Btw I also have a deaf left ear and I wear hearing aids on the right ear. My whole family is hearing. They are supporting me a lot but they sometimes just forget that I have a hearing problem and that they have to speak louder..so yea communication is sometimes a little bit tricky

Hey Rachel what kind of hearing aids are you wearing? I always had a anolog one but when I turned 18 I got a new one ( digital) and I hate it. I only wear the new one at university because of the FM gadget and in my spare time I still wear my old ones. I unfortunately can't change the program of my new one to analog because it's already a older model( almost 6 years old now) I grew up with a anolog one so maybe that's why I have problems dealing with the new one. The analog one is definately better in noisy situations( bars, Clubs etv.)
Btw I also have a deaf left ear and I wear hearing aids on the right ear. My whole family is hearing. They are supporting me a lot but they sometimes just forget that I have a hearing problem and that they have to speak louder..so yea communication is sometimes a little bit tricky

Hi there - Well, I'm currently wearing an Oticon Epoq P but I have outgrown it in the sense I have had some more loss in the last few years. I'm in the process of trying to find an aide.. tried the Oticon Chile (do NOT like), and the Phonak Bolero (liked better but not happy still)... they are going back to a Oticon but I have to get another mold done tomorrow before they can order it. Ugh. Yes, I'm going to talk to my audi tomorrow about analogs since I have been hearing that a lot on this site.

We are the same with our lefties. :)

I'm glad you have supportive family and of course, I'm sure they forget sometimes as its a hearing world. :)

Oh and someone mentioned liking being deaf (maybe in another thread?). I just wanted to add that I can relate to that somewhat. It's not like I wouldn't want to hear 100% if it were possible but on the flip side, looking at the positive, it's kind of cool taking out my aid and NOT hearing a dang thing. Peaceful. Really peaceful at times.

Funny too because I forget that everyone else hears. So often, people will come over and we'll watch tv. I won't use sound on the television because I rely heavily on the CC. They are always looking at me like "uhhhhhh.. sound?". It always cracks me up because of how oblivious I am to the hearing world at times.

i have cc on that why i use my own tv the captions annoy other people in the house.We all like be 100%in everything bodywise but aint going to happen so suck it up carry on with life that my motto and accept every so often you will hold a pity party that the nature of the beast being deaf and human

Jollyrj; it was i that mentioned liking the thought of being deaf. It would take a lot of stress off of me; to not have to constantly scan my auditory environment for my name; in order to avoid missing anything important. I want to get rid of my HA's, and establish myself as a Deaf person. I am learning ASL in order to expedite this transition. :) I'm tired of dealing with impatient/inconsiderate Hearing people. I know i'm a burden; they don't know that their temperament touches a sore spot.

As for captions, i always have them active. I can't make heads or tails of audio without captions. With them, i have words to match the sounds to. Without them, it's a song stripped of the lyrics.

I have the captions on all the time. Hub got that for me but doesn't use them himself. He wears 2 digital aids.
If watching by myself I leave the sound off.

Back