Secret Service agents and deaf people

racheleggert

Reaction score
I used to work on Kerry Edwards campaign manging area where deaf people sit or stand at rallies when either kerry or edwards was in MN, I noticed they ignore deaf people, and doesnt communitcate with them well.One time last July when Edwards came to MN, They didnt let deafies be in front with hearies, so I had to stand up fir myself and others, and I told them that my job was to make sure that they get to see interpeter better and its ADA law to have them be in front row, and I explained what the role interpeters do, so they had to let us go in VIP area with other candidates, etc... I wonder have anyone trained Secret Service agency on how to deal with Deaf people at rallies?? have you encountered some problems with Secret Services agents? let me know and then I can talk with someone to how to train them...

I know that Secret Services agents are very, very sensitive with anyone who approach or near the important people. It may be difficult for us to explain the situation to these agents. I wish I have any ideas & suggestions that may aid you but I don't :(

At least, they allow the interpreters on their stages to interpreting for deafies while Bush's campaign forbids (hence why we never see any interpreters on their stages).

i once met a woman several years ago who is a secret service agent in DC -- she learned signs from her ex gf who was deaf -- very nice woman -- i dont recall her name now :-/

I don't think we should waste our time trying to make them aware of ADA rights. What if it was a bunch of asian people or hispanic people? They would need translators too. It's not just only for the deafies.

Well im deaf too, I still support the republicans simply because of taxes. I think were paying enough we dont need no tax hikes.

Magatsu said:
Really? *snicker*

Read this: http://www.alldeaf.com/showthread.php?t=11772

We will end up paying more taxes than before.

Dat true.

way back in the 1980's when the Repukes' beloved Saint Ronnie was in office. He cut the taxes, at the start of his 1st term, the years up to his win over Mondale in 1984. The deficit was about half of what Dumbya is currently running up. Into his second term, Ronnie Raygun was forced to raise the taxes to try to cover his ass on the budget deficit.

Seems they never learn from history......

If Bush lies just like his dad this woman ill vote for in 2008.
Living_History_by_Hillary_Rodham_Clinton.jpg

racheleggert said:
I used to work on Kerry Edwards campaign manging area where deaf people sit or stand at rallies when either kerry or edwards was in MN, I noticed they ignore deaf people, and doesnt communitcate with them well.One time last July when Edwards came to MN, They didnt let deafies be in front with hearies, so I had to stand up fir myself and others, and I told them that my job was to make sure that they get to see interpeter better and its ADA law to have them be in front row, and I explained what the role interpeters do, so they had to let us go in VIP area with other candidates, etc... I wonder have anyone trained Secret Service agency on how to deal with Deaf people at rallies?? have you encountered some problems with Secret Services agents? let me know and then I can talk with someone to how to train them...
I went to one of Edwards Rally here in Tucson, Az I had no problem going into front of the stage to watch the interpreters. I had to get someone who's responsible for the event to take me into the area front of the stage and yeah I had to stand up to watch the interpreters. and no I was not alone there.. there were several others at the ropeline....

ravensteve1961 said:
Well im deaf too, I still support the republicans simply because of taxes. I think were paying enough we dont need no tax hikes.
Bush will raise the tax no matter what to cut the defict in half.. or find deeper cut somewhere in goverment.. and at his first press conference after election, he spoke of "simplification of tax code" then took off on vacation..

Remember what happened when george bushs dad said "" READ MY LIPS,NO NEW TAXES!!"" And he raised them anyway and that cost bush is re-election then liberal bill clinton became president.The same thing might happen if bush raised taxes and hillary will become president in 2008.

Secret Service agents are like that. What I don't get is that it is a great PR opportunity for them, especially on the campaign trail when the media is in a frenzy. The camera's can't view Hispanic or other translators as they would look like any other face in the crowd. You can't, however, miss a sign language translator. It would be a large billboard that says 'Kerry is supportive of all groups, cultures, etc' and it wouldn't even have to be mentioned...it would be visible on the networks carrying the coverage as you can't miss the translator signing.

Boult said:
I went to one of Edwards Rally here in Tucson, Az I had no problem going into front of the stage to watch the interpreters. I had to get someone who's responsible for the event to take me into the area front of the stage and yeah I had to stand up to watch the interpreters. and no I was not alone there.. there were several others at the ropeline....
Awww, I am jealous that you were able to be there while I couldn't... Both incumbent & candidate (Bush & Kerry/Edwards) does not give any damn about California since it is automatically to be blue state...

Taylor said:
Secret Service agents are like that. What I don't get is that it is a great PR opportunity for them, especially on the campaign trail when the media is in a frenzy. The camera's can't view Hispanic or other translators as they would look like any other face in the crowd. You can't, however, miss a sign language translator. It would be a large billboard that says 'Kerry is supportive of all groups, cultures, etc' and it wouldn't even have to be mentioned...it would be visible on the networks carrying the coverage as you can't miss the translator signing.
Well, larger percent of hearing people still are not being open-minded about deafies and their culture. I believe they may be afraid that It may affect their 'image' if they do that. Maybe I look at wrong side on that one.

Well, larger percent of hearing people still are not being open-minded about deafies and their culture. I believe they may be afraid that It may affect their 'image' if they do that. Maybe I look at wrong side on that one.

You may very well be right about that....its as if people will fall into the 'tree hugger' category if they recognize other groups. I used to work in broadcast radio and there is a saying that any publicity is good publicity. Seeing a group of Deaf people and a translator would probably win more votes on election day than it would lose. Even if people won't admit it to their friends, the good thing about voting is that it is private.

It may be wrong to say so, but if I were running for president, you can bet your butt that I would have Deaf people, disabled people in wheelchairs, Native Americans and as diverse a group you could find. You know the old thing about politicians kissing babies? There is a good reason to get your photo taken kissing a baby or helping an elderly woman cross the street. The true test, however, would be that you can back up what you say and what you believe in.

Magatsu said:
Awww, I am jealous that you were able to be there while I couldn't... Both incumbent & candidate (Bush & Kerry/Edwards) does not give any damn about California since it is automatically to be blue state...

see me shaking his hand in this picture... (blue sleeve)

Attachments

• EdJEshakehand(bluesleeve).png
    EdJEshakehand(bluesleeve).png
    108.9 KB · Views: 9
Taylor said:
It may be wrong to say so, but if I were running for president, you can bet your butt that I would have Deaf people, disabled people in wheelchairs, Native Americans and as diverse a group you could find. You know the old thing about politicians kissing babies? There is a good reason to get your photo taken kissing a baby or helping an elderly woman cross the street. The true test, however, would be that you can back up what you say and what you believe in.
I believe larger percent of deafies included me would do that same thing as you do.

After all, publicity is very powerful tool. But that tool can be used for good or evil just as a hammer can be used to build a house or break into one ;)

Boult: Awesome. Just awesome.

Magatsu said:
I believe larger percent of deafies included me would do that same thing as you do.

After all, publicity is very powerful tool. But that tool can be used for good or evil just as a hammer can be used to build a house or break into one ;)

Boult: Awesome. Just awesome.
1) I agree

2) yeah damn awesome! his voice booming awesome (I have ci though)

Back