Scientists have reversed inner ear deafness in gerbils.

Well...about all I've got to say is...I'd rather have a gerbil in my ear than in my arse....:giggle:....But seriously...it's awesome news....

I think deaf from san francisco would be good volunteer subjects as 1st humans to get this procedure. I will contact the people doing it and tell them AD has the right types

I think deaf from san francisco would be good volunteer subjects as 1st humans to get this procedure. I will contact the people doing it and tell them AD has the right types

OMG, what's with you??? That is insulting coming from you. Don't be hateful just because we are different than you are, if you are hearing. Geeze. I don't think you are deaf and you just pretend to be one. :roll:

I told my dad to put off getting a cochlear implant because I had a feeling this would make a breakthrough soon.

The people in my family that are deaf/HoH are all inner ear nerve damaged, so this is big news for us.

Now, bebonang, I can understand and empathize with how you feel and why you are reacting the way you do. Having the ability to hear would redefine who you are and how you interact with people. It would be a tremendous change, socially. You have defined your existence as that of someone who is Deaf. You have built relationships with others based on your self identity. You have a culture, a community, all your own, that would suddenly change.

This technology threatens that for you. So yeah, I understand why you feel this way. And, you are absolutely right, hearing people need to listen to what you are saying, they need to be sensitive to how BIG of a change and traumatic impact this would have on your existence.

Also, please understand that these attempts to "improve" our quality of existence are being done with all the best intentions at heart. These researchers/scientists are doing this to make money, yes, but they are also doing this to make the world a better place. That is their goal. Those are their intentions. It is up to the Deaf/HoH to let them know that the world is far better off having us in it than in a world without. And I think that might be the message you were trying to convey?

An attack on your identity as a Deaf person, and how you live your life is no trifling matter ... so yes, I "get" it. But please try to keep things in perspective.

Here we go again. **shaking my head**

I am sick of tire of those scientists and doctors coming up with some idea of making the deaf babies or deaf people hear. We have been going through all that for many, many years over and over. This is not going to work anyway. Just let it go. Accept us the way we are, no matter what. We have been trying to tell hearing parents and hearing authorities especially many audists (AGBell) who refuse to listen and don't understand us. Enough. That is enough.

Hey whoa... This is for people who WANT to regain their hearing. I sense several fears that you might consider. One, the deaf population will die off as the hangers-on continue to live being deaf, and the others decide they want to recover/enter a new world of sound. Two, the skills you have now would leave you feeling lost in a new world (imagine that you can hear all of a sudden, you hear languages you don't understand, and the skills you currently have leave you at the level of an immigrant just setting foot in a whole new world, except you can read English just fine).

The thing that I have considered as a question for myself is this - when do I decide to get the procedure and let go of my SSDI? That might be the third fear some people have, losing their benefits.

It's something to think about. Remember, there is no "one right way" to live. What if you are offered a never-before-offered opportunity to step into a new world that you've never lived in? Consider this a new adventure...

DOCTORS AND RESEARCHERS - MAKE THIS HAPPEN ASAP!

Last edited:
I can't imagine myself hearing.

I can and I really can't wait. There's nothing I would love more than to hear everything...and not have to keep changing a battery to do so....

Laura

who did are give you serious!!!?

serious!! whoa that is I Heard it news! already on Toronto!

where is hell about on give on spread? wtf? serious!!!!

I believe it audiogist to research 0.o!!!!! oh geez!!

sound look likes spread to Audiogist! unbelieve it!

:shock:

Don't worry. Whenever I try to get the Totally Implantable CI or stem cells cure, a big rock falls on my head.

Let's be real..no one is going to ban ASL lol

It's easy for you said that. A number of ASL users is still slowly decreasing because how much advance medical technology is. About less than 10 years from now, there will be a new treatment for any type of hearing level. That means the cure is coming very soon, so it could be 50 to 20 years from now.

So, no, ASL will not be banned, instead of ban on the language, it still silently discouraged. That is fact, whether you deny or not.

It's easy for you said that. A number of ASL users is still slowly decreasing because how much advance medical technology is. About less than 10 years from now, there will be a new treatment for any type of hearing level. That means the cure is coming very soon, so it could be 50 to 20 years from now.

So, no, ASL will not be banned, instead of ban on the language, it still silently discouraged. That is fact, whether you deny or not.

But there will always be people who choose not to go for the cure as being deaf is them and will keep using ASL.

I can and I really can't wait. There's nothing I would love more than to hear everything...and not have to keep changing a battery to do so....
Laura

Or taking the hearing aid out to scratch my ear. :P

Until then, our School for the Deaf has a good turn out each session of their community Sign Language classes.

What might help keep sign language going would be for some public advertising of ways to use it in the "hearing world". Like at a rock concert, noisy restaurant, other noisy environments. I'm sure people use some type of "sign" in these situations, but if it could be advertised how ASL/BSL/etc would be beneficial.....

They were supposed to do this on willing humans, not gerbils. We are not gerbils...

:roll:

No one is going to force anyone to do anything. This has nothing to do with the deaf by choice community - if you're happy in your deafness, what do you care about medical advances in this field of study? This type of procedure is for people like myself, who can't hear, and want to.

That said, I dearly hope that didn't deafen these gerbils just for this experiment....:eek3:

Laura

Back