Scientists have reversed inner ear deafness in gerbils.

<snip>

What?? I don't understand what you are trying to say.

huh you know what is on my posts? what is said I can tell you

what is you
I am speak ASL!!!

I have stated what I believe, and I'm standing back so that others can state their beliefs.

I read that it only affected a specific form of hearing loss. Why is it when something like this makes the news, people automaticly think that it will universally cure ALL hearing losses? People respond differently to how well they use CIs and HAs......The ONLY reason everyone's excited about this is b/c of the current hype about stem cells being a predicted cure all.

I read that it only affected a specific form of hearing loss. Why is it when something like this makes the news, people automaticly think that it will universally cure ALL hearing losses? People respond differently to how well they use CIs and HAs......The ONLY reason everyone's excited about this is b/c of the current hype about stem cells being a predicted cure all.

That is exactly the point what I am trying to say. Every time late-deafened and hard of hearing get so excited about being able to hear the sounds very badly when all the while they were going to be really disappointed to find it will not work for them. It happened over and over with hearing aids and now CIs which the devices went dead or went wrong with it. That is why we don't need surgery as it is not an emergency and how in the world can we remove the devices from the cochlear which they are not working, eh? It cost a lot of money to remove again. You understand what I am saying? :(

Wirelessly posted

What comes across my mind when reading this is: how on earth can tests on gerbils be conclusive - how is it possible to gauge whether or not the gerbils are deaf and to what hearing level they have let alone transfer that to results in humans?. Just sayin' .

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

Foxrac said:
Here we go again. **shaking my head**

I am sick of tire of those scientists and doctors coming up with some idea of making the deaf babies or deaf people hear. We have been going through all that for many, many years over and over. This is not going to work anyway. Just let it go. Accept us the way we are, no matter what. We have been trying to tell hearing parents and hearing authorities especially many audists (AGBell) who refuse to listen and don't understand us. Enough. That is enough. Why do we have to suffer under them like that? They don't care about us being the way we are. They only care to make money, lots of money so that they can become millionaires or billionaires. Geeze. :roll: I am mad. :mad:

Well, I have deal with interpreter shortage in our state and I don't have interpreter in one class, only I got is captionist and I couldn't understand her so much.

I just want hearing people to start learn how to use ASL, that all I care.

:thumbsup:

Wirelessly posted

Smithtr said:
That's why I'm asking for a translation.

Yup it I do adjust to my speak on ASL! I figure out on English I see on myself my think I am skills on ASL! I am pretty lots of ASL, no odd

Don't let him get to you, Smithtr. If he can't understand you that's his loss.

Wirelessly posted

What comes across my mind when reading this is: how on earth can tests on gerbils be conclusive - how is it possible to gauge whether or not the gerbils are deaf and to what hearing level they have let alone transfer that to results in humans?. Just sayin' .

the gerbils buy own round in the pub then they hear you,or tell person who messing around with their ears to piss off,then ya know they can hear ya:)

Wirelessly posted

caz12 said:
Wirelessly posted

the gerbils buy own round in the pub then they hear you,or tell person who messing around with their ears to piss off,then ya know they can hear ya:)

:lol:

Wirelessly posted

Don't let him get to you, Smithtr. If he can't understand you that's his loss.

He's not alone. If I had a coworker that sent emails like this, I'd need my boss, or someone, to translate. It's completely unreadable.

I think any break throughs in hearing loss is wonderful new. Everything is achieved through baby steps and it'll take time for the results to be validated by the medical community. The important thing is progress is being made which is enough for reason optimism.

Laura

what is you
I am speak ASL!!!

He's not alone. If I had a coworker that sent emails like this, I'd need my boss, or someone, to translate. It's completely unreadable.

I think any break throughs in hearing loss is wonderful new. Everything is achieved through baby steps and it'll take time for the results to be validated by the medical community. The important thing is progress is being made which is enough for reason optimism.

Laura

I too am so in need of translation that I had him on ignore for awhile.

I think most of us get excited by breakthroughs because we are happy about anyone getting additional hearing whether it is a complete cure or not and if it applies to us personally or not. Changes come in steps and even if it does not help us personally at first it could be coming as one of the following steps.

This is not to say you have to get things done you don't want. But, please those of you that don't want to have things done, quit telling those of us that do that we should not want and look for improvement to our hearing levels from new things.

The unanswered question re Gerbils: are their "hearing systems" same or different than humans?

Wirelessly posted

Jane B. said:

what is you
I am speak ASL!!!

Laura

I too am so in need of translation that I had him on ignore for awhile.

I think most of us get excited by breakthroughs because we are happy about anyone getting additional hearing whether it is a complete cure or not and if it applies to us personally or not. Changes come in steps and even if it does not help us personally at first it could be coming as one of the following steps.

This is not to say you have to get things done you don't want. But, please those of you that don't want to have things done, quit telling those of us that do that we should not want and look for improvement to our hearing levels from new things.

Come on people, Smithtr is easy to understand if you aren't so close-minded. He is NOT using a foreign script or anything :duh:

Wirelessly posted

Come on people, Smithtr is easy to understand if you aren't so close-minded. He is NOT using a foreign script or anything :duh:

Yes he is! And he is also one of the nicest person you could hope to know!

Back