Scientists have reversed inner ear deafness in gerbils.

Wirelessly posted

Don't let him get to you, Smithtr. If he can't understand you that's his loss.

It's her.

Reconsider the latter statement. It's not that I don't want to understand. I literally don't. What about hearing people here who are just starting to learn ASL? They may not understand what is being said, either.

I'm sorry, I don't understand it.

Wirelessly posted

Come on people, Smithtr is easy to understand if you aren't so close-minded. He is NOT using a foreign script or anything :duh:

That statement was opposite hand across the opposite shoulder twice.

I am not well-versed in ASL BECAUSE I'M NOT AROUND IT VERY MUCH! I work in retail and have to keep my speech skills up. Nobody in my family down here signs. I was raised to be oral. I HAD NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER, being seven-plus years old without a language to work from. There were no other deaf in the small town I grew up in, two hours from San Antonio, and I did not have enough contact with deaf there to keep up the skills. Even if I asked the school for the deaf to teach me sign, all they had to do was continue doing what they were doing and withhold information about signing from me, and there would have been nothing I could do about it until I was able to read and buy books. By the time I had gotten out of high school, my path was set, because I found it much easier to speak and lip-read than to sign. That is STILL the case today. I have to let my interpreter know that while I don't want SEE, I'm not fully ASL, either. Smithtr, when you wrote that post that confused me, I had no idea what that looked like visually.

Please get over yourselves and realize that I have difficulty learning languages because of my late development of language. I FOUGHT my teachers daily in the second grade when they were trying to help me with my read and writing skills. I turned 9 in the middle of the second grade! I was very frustrated because I did not have the background other children had, and I had to catch up massively. I really didn't know what was happening around me verbally until I was eight and a half, catching words here and there, lots of unfamiliar words, and sentences that yet didn't make sense. Even today, I have problems learning languages. I'm not fluent in any other language than my primary language, which I worked HARD to master. I can learn the alphabet of the language and learn some of the pronunciations, but when it comes time to form sentences, I freak out and go, "Oh crap..." because I remember the experience of learning it the way I had to. Verb conjugations trip me up before I even step out the starting block.

It's a miracle that I do what I do, verbally and in print. It's like witnessing an ape speak fluently for the first time. Please ease up...

That statement was opposite hand across the opposite shoulder twice.

I am not well-versed in ASL BECAUSE I'M NOT AROUND IT VERY MUCH! I work in retail and have to keep my speech skills up. Nobody in my family down here signs. I was raised to be oral. I HAD NO CHOICE IN THE MATTER, being seven-plus years old without a language to work from. There were no other deaf in the small town I grew up in, two hours from San Antonio, and I did not have enough contact with deaf there to keep up the skills. Even if I asked the school for the deaf to teach me sign, all they had to do was continue doing what they were doing and withhold information about signing from me, and there would have been nothing I could do about it until I was able to read and buy books. By the time I had gotten out of high school, my path was set, because I found it much easier to speak and lip-read than to sign. That is STILL the case today. I have to let my interpreter know that while I don't want SEE, I'm not fully ASL, either. Smithtr, when you wrote that post that confused me, I had no idea what that looked like visually.

Please get over yourselves and realize that I have difficulty learning languages because of my late development of language. I FOUGHT my teachers daily in the second grade when they were trying to help me with my read and writing skills. I turned 9 in the middle of the second grade! I was very frustrated because I did not have the background other children had, and I had to catch up massively. I really didn't know what was happening around me verbally until I was eight and a half, catching words here and there, lots of unfamiliar words, and sentences that yet didn't make sense. Even today, I have problems learning languages. I'm not fluent in any other language than my primary language, which I worked HARD to master. I can learn the alphabet of the language and learn some of the pronunciations, but when it comes time to form sentences, I freak out and go, "Oh crap..." because I remember the experience of learning it the way I had to. Verb conjugations trip me up before I even step out the starting block.

It's a miracle that I do what I do, verbally and in print.

You also have problems with good manners. :mad:

I am investigation it AG Bell! I am serious!! AG Bell is serious LinkEn Member

Reason I find out reason! evidence! I will find out prevent to AG Bell risk!
I remember it, AG Bell control member of sound look likes pretty serious school relate to social!

This I can understand. But for some reason, I can't understand that other post... I'm sorry, but I do the best I can.

Wirelessly posted

Come on people, Smithtr is easy to understand if you aren't so close-minded. He is NOT using a foreign script or anything :duh:

Sorry, but I really can't understand the majority of his posts. If a person is going to write as though they're signing, there's going to be a translation problem. I don't know why anyone would attack or belittle someone for being honest. If you can follow it, it's probably because you're fluent in ASL - still, if I were to write in English using exactly the same word order as in Cantonese, I think people would have trouble following me. I've no doubt Smithtr is nice - he certainly has nice tastes in dogs. If I can speak for deaf drummer, neither of us are trying to intentionally offend or be hurtful.

Laura

Sorry, but I really can't understand the majority of his posts. If a person is going to write as though they're signing, there's going to be a translation problem. I don't know why anyone would attack or belittle someone for being honest. If you can follow it, it's probably because you're fluent in ASL - still, if I were to write in English using exactly the same word order as in Cantonese, I think people would have trouble following me. I've no doubt Smithtr is nice - he certainly has nice tastes in dogs. If I can speak for deaf drummer, neither of us are trying to intentionally offend or be hurtful.

Laura

Nor am I. It is just the other side of facing facts. Some of us don't know ASL. I tried taking it twice, made no contacts to actually use it and have forgotten 99% of what I did learn.

Wirelessly posted

For your information, I was also raised oral, am still a novice at signing, I don't know ASL either, I'm Australian. - there is no excuse to be rude because his language happens to be different from yours. If you don't understand, then just read onto the next post. There are many here who value Smithtr's comments.

That is exactly the point what I am trying to say. Every time late-deafened and hard of hearing get so excited about being able to hear the sounds very badly when all the while they were going to be really disappointed to find it will not work for them. It happened over and over with hearing aids and now CIs which the devices went dead or went wrong with it. That is why we don't need surgery as it is not an emergency and how in the world can we remove the devices from the cochlear which they are not working, eh? It cost a lot of money to remove again. You understand what I am saying? :(

I have a hearing aid. I haven't been disappointed at all. It has been a blessing.

I have a hearing aid. I haven't been disappointed at all. It has been a blessing.

Just curious, are you having a benefit from hearing aids and ability to understand all alphabets?

I lost all benefits from hearing aids in around 15 years ago and can't understand any alphabets.

Just curious, are you having a benefit from hearing aids and ability to understand all alphabets?

I lost all benefits from hearing aids in around 15 years ago and can't understand any alphabets.

The HA isn't perfect. But for me, it is much better than the alternative.

The HA isn't perfect. But for me, it is much better than the alternative.

Oh, that's interesting.

I have one friend who was HoH since hit at 1 years old and he used to be fluent in oral language in high school until hearing got worse as hearing aid no longer work and he is profoundly deaf now so he lost the fluent in oral language, except for ability to read lipreading.

Now, he's full time ASL. My old reading teacher at deaf school warned HoH students who didn't use hearing aids so they could lose any fluent in oral language.

Oh, that's interesting.

I have one friend who was HoH since hit at 1 years old and he used to be fluent in oral language in high school until hearing got worse as hearing aid no longer work and he is profoundly deaf now so he lost the fluent in oral language, except for ability to read lipreading.

Now, he's full time ASL. My old reading teacher at deaf school warned HoH students who didn't use hearing aids so they could lose any fluent in oral language.

Big deal. :roll:

Wirelessly posted

no problem I clear I have native fluent speak

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/92255-culture-language-native-9.html
I am learn it
speak language cultures If suppose, I am learn it different! It is complication
Cultures Language! I tell you ;)

Yes he is! And he is also one of the nicest person you could hope to know!

I do care to people :), I care people! I value wise :)
You also have problems with good manners. :mad:
people have problem polite didn't listen to manner proper follow on manner judge or respect or not stubborn!!

edit: i reading appreciate to lots of encourage, , I reading your comments! I understand I remember appreciate, I mind to happy you alldeaf people support to translate to English & ASL can do help friendly happy, I remember long times 2006 I remember I tell you, Hear Again is help me translate to me, she awesome me I remember, I tell you, I tell you ad member Hear Again is very really translate to me

also I have ASL, I encourage to people to support to AD!
I know on good adjust to fluent to ASL plus to lots of work!

I learn it lots of ASL, I have lots of manually on more analyze increase understand clear ASL more lots of research :)

no problem I clear I have native fluent speak

http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/92255-culture-language-native-9.html
I am learn it
speak language cultures If suppose, I am learn it different! It is complication
Cultures Language! I tell you ;)

I do care to people :), I care people! I value wise :)

people have problem polite didn't listen to manner proper follow on manner judge or respect or not stubborn!!

edit: i reading appreciate to lots of encourage, , I reading your comments! I understand I remember appreciate, I mind to happy you alldeaf people support to translate to English & ASL can do help friendly happy, I remember long times 2006 I remember I tell you, Hear Again is help me translate to me, she awesome me I remember, I tell you, I tell you ad member Hear Again is very really translate to me

also I have ASL, I encourage to people to support to AD!
I know on good adjust to fluent to ASL plus to lots of work!

I learn it lots of ASL, I have lots of manually on more analyze increase understand clear ASL more lots of research :)

So for those people who don't understand:

Smithtr, appreciates nice people who take the trouble to understand. And he really remembers how nice Hear Again was to him starting in 2006, as one of the first people to be his friend and work on understanding.

Plus over the years, his English gets better and better.

Maybe you complainers could work on making your ASL better since it is a Deaf website!

Smithtr, appreciates nice people who take the trouble to understand. And he really remembers how nice Hear Again was to him starting in 2006, as one of the first people to be his friend and work on understanding.

Maybe you complainers could work on making your ASL better since it is a Deaf website!

I appreciate to Botti, I am glad of of course,people have problem troubles difficult on frustrated fail on understand grammar, English, it is very difficult
I know lot so people many people struggle on many confused understood!
it is pretty complication

you doubt to understand on skills translate to English and ASL also more full aware it more understand!

update:

Futurity.org – Human stem cells let deaf gerbils hear

We developed a method to drive human embryonic stem cells to produce both hair cells and neurons, or nerve cells, but we only transplanted the neurons,” says Marcelo Rivolta of the University of Sheffield.
“We then used a technique called auditory brainstem evoked responses (ABR), which measures if the brain can perceive an electrical signal after sound stimulation. The responses of the treated animals were substantially better than those untreated, although the range of improvement was broad. Some subjects did very well, while in others recovery was poor.”
Auditory neuropathy is a type of deafness where the problem lies, not primarily with the hair cells, but in the connection of the hair cells with the brain. Patients can be born with it and there are cases due to a genetic defect where a few responsible genes have already been identified.
However, there is increasing evidence that environmental factors, such as jaundice at birth and noise exposure later in life, play an important role, at least as risk factors.
“We believe this an important step forward. We have now a method to produce human cochlear sensory cells that we could use to develop new drugs and treatments, and to study the function of genes. And more importantly, we have the proof-of-concept that human stem cells could be used to repair the damaged ear,” Rivolta says.
“More research is needed. For instance, we want to understand the long term implications of this treatment and its safety. Moreover, while in auditory neuropathy patients that retain their hair cells the sole application of stem cells could be beneficial; those with more comprehensive damage may need a cochlear implant to compensate for the hair cell deficit. In these patients it is possible that stem cells should be administered in combination with a cochlear implant. It is therefore important to explore this interaction.”
Paul Colville-Nash, Program Manager for stem cell, developmental biology, and regenerative medicine at the Medical Research Council, which co-funded the research, says: “This is promising research that demonstrates further proof-of-concept that stem cells have the potential to treat a range of human diseases that currently have no effective cures.
“While any new treatment is likely to take years to reach the clinic, this study clearly demonstrates that investment in UK stem cell research and regenerative medicine is beginning to bear fruit, and that is very exciting.”

Re stem cells: the last sentence above is accurate. How long can such- in fact be actualized in humans probably is a "long way" off?

aside: This question was raised at the Cochlear implant patients meeting-last year-Sunnybrook/Toronto. The research doctor mentioned-not in his life time. He said he was 32. He pointed out-humans "hearing system" is more complicated than any animal.

Last edited:

To tell you the truth, I am profoundly deaf and I am a native ASLer, too. Nevertheless, I don't always understand his comments. REALLY! Don't blame us for not understanding what he said. He needs to improve his grammar skill. ASL and English writing are not the same. That's why we have ASL interpreters for those people so they can interpret ASL into spoken English and vice versa. Didn't you know that alot of ASLers use VP all the times because they suck in writing English via TTY or texting?

Back