Rings Are Symbolic of What?

AquaBlue

Reaction score
If you wear a ring on your thumb or your pinky or your toe, what does it tell others about you? Are rings symbolic? What's your take.

custplatcladdaugh1.jpg

I don't wear rings or other jewellery anymore. Rings are usually symbolic, but it can also be just part of a fashion accessory. If I had to wear a ring, I'd like a celtic design. I don't know what it would tell others about me, but I like celtic stuff.

Wedding rings are symbolic. The unbroken circle of the ring symbolizes eternity.

I watched a program offering the hypothesis that wedding ring derive from a 'barbaric' time in human history. While man was still a nomadic creation they would steal women for mates and bind them for a period of time so they could not run away. Eventually they did not tie them up but tied a piece about their finger, just to remind them that they should not try to run away.

Whether the theory is true or not, I'm not sure. We've put a lot of symbolism into the rings now a days. My wedding ring is a knot design, not Celtic just made up really, and it holds the stone. I love Celtic things, folklore, and often attend Renaissance Festivals... so it says something of my taste. The setting is inset, not prong, which I asked for because I do occasional tactile signing and my prong set ring before was bothersome to my friend.

i wear wedding ring and a ring on right hand as a fashions. I wear wedding ring cos i love my wife very much and very proud to be married. as long they are silver or white gold its fine with me no golds.

When you are wearing on thumb or pinky, I assume you can't afford a jeweler to resize it for you.

I watched a program offering the hypothesis that wedding ring derive from a 'barbaric' time in human history. While man was still a nomadic creation they would steal women for mates and bind them for a period of time so they could not run away. Eventually they did not tie them up but tied a piece about their finger, just to remind them that they should not try to run away.

Whether the theory is true or not, I'm not sure. We've put a lot of symbolism into the rings now a days. My wedding ring is a knot design, not Celtic just made up really, and it holds the stone. I love Celtic things, folklore, and often attend Renaissance Festivals... so it says something of my taste. The setting is inset, not prong, which I asked for because I do occasional tactile signing and my prong set ring before was bothersome to my friend.

That's an interesting hypothesis.

Most of the time I wear my wedding ring. My husband lost his wedding ring when he was logging at work because he was losing his weight. He want to keep the ring, but since he lost his weight he should have put the ring aside until he finish his work. But still his wedding ring is a little bit big and still come off. Now he is ringless and we don't have a jewelry store anymore on the island where we bought our wedding ring from. Sometime, I did tried few rings just for fashion but was not comfortable with them, so wedding ring is the most comfortable for me to wear every single day. :roll:

My high school class ring on special occasions only........Next, hopefully UT at Austin's or Texas A&M's class ring.. :fingersx:

If you wear a ring on your thumb or your pinky or your toe, what does it tell others about you? Are rings symbolic? What's your take.

custplatcladdaugh1.jpg

That's a claddaugh ring and it symbolizes friendship, love, and loyalty. I had one, but gave it to my niece when they moved to Maryland nearly 2 mos ago.

I don't care much for rings.

My parents got me a ring when I graduated high school. No, it was not a high school ring or anything like that. It was a simple gold & silver ring with 2 Greek symbols on it... Alpha & Omega. They got it because of the religious significance behind it as well as it looking like a college ring. I wore it from time to time, then stopped. It's like wearing a watch... which I don't do either. The last time I wore a ring was over 10 years ago. The last time I wore a watch was also over 10 years ago. :)

I wear rings on 6 fingers and I just like to wear them. I have been wearing rings since I was teenager.

My co-worker wears like this ring. She is still single.
I guess most irish women wear like that style ring.

That is intresting to hear. i prefer the unbroken cirle representing eternity. I actually love going to Renaissance Festivals as well and Celtic things. Unfortunately not my wife's cup of tea.

I very much love celtic and irish designs. I have a celtic spinner ring. It's like a 2-in-1 ring where the bottom stays put at all times and the interior can be spun around, and it's in a celtic knot pattern. I get lots of comments on it.

It is sterling silver and I got it off silverjewelryclub.com. I have purchased many celtic items from this site and EVERYTHING is free, you pay $5.99 s/h. (I saw the postage on one recent item that I got and it was about .68 cents, so the bulk of the $5.99 really goes to the ring, not the shipping. But anyways ..

The symbolism of wearing a ring can just about mean anything. As everyone knows, a wedding ring symbolizes for unity. It is also for engagement, longevity, promissory ring, graduation ring, or rings that symbolizes the family itself as it is passed on from their descendants. A ring can also symbolize your personality by making a fashion statement. Really, It is just all about how you look at it one way or another. Not too long ago, there was an odd thread talking about the divorce ring.

Personally, I like wearing rings. I wear it occasionally and once in a while, I would just might feel enthralled to wear one just for the heck of it. I remember when I was a teenager, the pink ice ring was in popular demand. All of my friends had one and I just had to get one for myself. When I'm looking back to how I was desperate for one, I just had to laugh at that because it was foolish, LOL.

Back