research paper on deaf community

anjelstar94

Reaction score
hi my name is anjel and i am majoring in deaf studies. for my anthropology class (sex, gender and culture) i have to write an ethnographic paper and i would like to write it about how sex, gender and culture differ in the deaf community than in the hearing world. i was wondering if i can interview people for my paper as well as maybe become friends with some. show me the ropes through the eyes of a deaf person. [emoji4]

Well the unique thing is all culturally Deaf people are bound together by our common language. (ASL in USA). Therefore we treasure communication between each other and are very accepting of everyone else in the community. Age, gender and sexual identity, socio-economic status, race, religion etc. Become relatively unimportant. It's probably the most highly networked culture in the USA. With that also comes a lot of gossip and drama too unfortunately. Also culturally, many questions/topics that are taboo in hearing culture are the norm and expected in Deaf culture. Our communication style is direct and blunt by hearing culture norms. That should get you started.

Try me. I do know that a lot of younger deaf people like vehicles with turbocharged engine.

Im trying to see your hypothesis.

What is your difference between gender and sex on this paper? In my opinion deafness affects all genders from all walks of life.

We have much better sex than hearing people and a lot more of it. But that's a secret.... heh

We are open mind.culture...our strength...gender, sex identity, open mind

Haha, soutpaw, stole signs right my hand.....

We are open mind.culture...our strength...gender, sex identity, open mind
my class is about culture and the way men and women act a certain way or do certain things based on what the norm in their culture. some cultures women stay home and men are the only ones to work. is there something like that in the deaf culture?

my class is about culture and the way men and women act a certain way or do certain things based on what the norm in their culture. some cultures women stay home and men are the only ones to work. is there something like that in the deaf culture?

IMO there is absolutely no way gender all have same pattern as again you seem to miss the concept that people from all walks of life mesh together to make Deaf culture. We have little of everything that different individuals contribute to from their background. They can have their belief system, values etc

Did your teacher tell you to write this paper or was it entirely your idea

:eek3:

Suppose someone is wearing glasses that means that person must go to work, while wife who is not wearing glasses stay home?

Why not husband try laser surgery? So both are glasses-free so they both can go to work ?

People who wear glasses usually are smart?

:laugh2:

We are not some backwards oppressive, bigoted religious cult, or the republican party that thinks women should make less than men and be subservient to them you know.

Where do you live ? Deaf culture is not the same as a culture where people are of one race or religion and have the same belief . Deaf and hoh people live all over the world and come from difference back grounds and we live just like hearing people do , we go to work men and women , drive cars , have babies, go to movies . I think you'll be really disappointed to learn that we have only ONE thing difference than you do some of us are deaf and some hoh and some use ASL and some don't b/c we can' hear .

Here in USA and even in Canada, we are pretty much normal as hearing people but we need accommodations to help us understand what they say because of our deafness or hearing loss. Some of them (deaf/hard of hearing) are lucky to find a job which meant that the company they worked for is deaf friendly. Others were not lucky to find a job that are not deaf friendly.

The only way you can visit is the (State name) Hearing Society. It has to be in the big city, not the small town. They might explained some of the devices and even probably provide you with the hearing muff kind so that you can not hear the sounds to get the feel of what it is like not be able to hear sound.

Also need to know where you are from. If you are not from USA, then I don't know what they have over there in your country. :hmm:

Give the OP a break. When Hearing people learn that deaf people can drive, I don't think they realized that deaf people would be obsessed with turbocharged engine. This phenom wouldn't happen if deaf people weren't allowed to drive.

We are not some backwards oppressive, bigoted religious cult, or the republican party that thinks women should make less than men and be subservient to them you know.
I'm not a Republican but that's not part of their party platform. :roll:

That is old "news" and is a typical example of common misleading interpretation of a bill. You might want to check your facts a little further. [emoji38]
I'm not going to argue. I know the facts.

Back