Report: S.C. governor says he was in Argentina

Status
Not open for further replies.
“I still believe in family values, loyalty, and fair play,” says the Democrat

As does the Republican.:cool2: Read Stanford's statements?

As does the Republican.:cool2: Read Stanford's statements?

they're all same to me regardless of their political status, political view, etc.

Politicians are [hypocrite, corrupted, greedy, unethical, dishonest] - Pick 1 or as many as you want :lol:

they're all same to me regardless of their political status, political view, etc.

Politicians are [hypocrite, corrupted, greedy, unethical, dishonest] - Pick 1 or as many as you want :lol:

:lol: Yep. :P

Sanford took taxpayer-funded trip to Argentina last June
Posted: 08:05 PM ET

From CNN Political Producer Peter Hamby

Sanford traveled to Brazil and Argentina last June.
COLUMBIA, South Carolina (CNN) — Mark Sanford visited Argentina exactly one year ago as part of a taxpayer-funded South Carolina Department of Commerce trade mission, according to a copy of the trip itinerary obtained by CNN.

Sanford revealed Wednesday that he began an affair with "a dear, dear friend" from Argentina last year.

It's unknown if Sanford spent time with the woman the during the trade mission, but the governor explained Wednesday that his relationship with her "sparked into something more" than just a friendship "about a year ago." He said he has known the woman for about eight years.

Sanford's office said the trip, like other trade missions, was organized by the Department of Commerce, not by the governor.

The South American swing took Sanford and several commerce officials to Brazil and Argentina for one week in June 2008, beginning on June 21.

After spending three days in Brazil, the delegation arrived in Cordoba, Argentina on June 24 — one year ago to the day Sanford emotionally admitted his extramarital affair at the state house in Columbia.

The following day, the group traveled to Buenos Aires — the city Sanford went back to last week, during his mysterious absence — for the final two nights of the trip. Members of the delegation were scheduled to stay at the Hilton Buenos Aires, located in the city's Puerto Madero district.

While the delegation spent much of their time meeting with diplomats and business leaders, several hours each day were allotted for "personal time." The group returned to Columbia on the morning of June 28 after taking an overnight flight.

According to state expenditure reports, Sanford's out-state travel expenses with the Department of Commerce totaled $21, 487 for the fiscal year ending on June 30, 2008. Governors commonly travel out-of-state or abroad to stir up investment in their home states.

"All of the economic development trips taken by the governor are organized and run by the Department of Commerce," Sanford spokesman Joel Sawyer told CNN.

Sanford said in a press conference Wednesday that he footed the bill for his most recent trip to Buenos Aires. The governor said earlier in the day he had traveled to Argentina several times before.

CNN Political Ticker: All politics, all the time Blog Archive - Sanford took taxpayer-funded trip to Argentina last June - Blogs from CNN.com

“I still believe in family values, loyalty, and fair play,” says the Democrat

....... :laugh2:

Democrat, Republican, Liberal, Conservative, Left Wing, Right Wing.... they're all same to me.
That's true as far as individual morality. Each person is responsible for his or her own choices and behaviors, regardless of political party.

That's true as far as individual morality. Each person is responsible for his or her own choices and behaviors, regardless of political party.

They are also responsible for living up to the choices and behaviors they preach as their platform to garner votes.

(CNN) -- South Carolina Gov. Mark Sanford told the woman with whom he was having an affair they were "in a hopelessly impossible situation of love" last year when he was thought to be under consideration for the Republican vice presidential nomination, according to e-mails obtained by The State newspaper.

Gov. Mark Sanford speaks during a news conference at the State Capitol in Columbia on Wednesday.

The Columbia-based newspaper, which acquired the e-mails in December, told CNN that the governor's office had confirmed their authenticity on Wednesday. When contacted by CNN, a spokesman for the governor would neither confirm nor deny the authenticity of the e-mails.

The e-mails between the GOP governor and a Buenos Aires, Argentina, resident named "Maria," were exchanged in July of last year, according to the newspaper.

In one July 10 message, Sanford told the woman about his plans to take a family vacation and meet with then-Republican presidential candidate John McCain who "has kicked up the whole VP talk all over again in the press back home ..." before he veered into more emotional territory.

"You have a particular grace and calm that I adore. You have a level of sophistication that so fitting with your beauty," Sanford wrote, according to the e-mails published on the newspaper's Web site. Watch CNN.com's political team discuss the situation »

"I could digress and say that you have the ability to give magnificent gentle kisses, or that I love your tan lines or that I love the curve of your hips, the erotic beauty of you holding yourself (or two magnificent parts of yourself) in the faded glow of the night's light -- but hey, that would be going into sexual details ..."

"...while all the things above are all too true -- at the same time we are in a ... hopelessly impossible situation of love...." he added.

"How in the world this lightening strike snuck up on us I am still not quite sure. As I have said to you before I certainly had a special feeling about you from the first time we met, but these feelings were contained and I genuinely enjoyed our special friendship and the comparing of all too many personal notes ..."

Earlier, "Maria" -- whose full name has not yet been released -- also proclaimed her devotion in a July 9 e-mail.

"You are my love ... something hard to believe even for myself as it's also a kind of impossible love, not only because of distance but situation," she wrote. "Sometimes you don't choose things, they just happen ... I can't redirect my feelings and I am very happy with mine towards you."

John O'Connor, the newspaper reporter who wrote the story about the e-mails, told CNN Wednesday afternoon that The State did not confront Sanford with the messages in December because at the time "there was little way to tell that these were authentic e-mails." Watch Gov. Sanford's conference Wednesday »

O'Connor said that given the recent events surrounding Sanford, the paper then decided to approach the governor's office with the e-mails.

Sanford, who had been considered a potential candidate for the 2012 presidential campaign, admitted the affair Wednesday.

The affair began in the last year and was discovered five months ago, Sanford told reporters without elaborating. He added he and his wife were trying to work through it.

The governor had not been seen in public since June 18. When questioned, Sanford's staff had told media outlets that he was hiking in the Appalachian Trail. But Sanford was spotted Wednesday in Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.

Sanford said he had been in Buenos Aires, adding it was his fault for "shrouding this larger trip."

Sanford e-mail to mistress: Situation 'hopelessly impossible' - CNN.com

They are also responsible for living up to the choices and behaviors they preach as their platform to garner votes.
And when they don't, kick the bums out.

I'm sorry but I don't get it. What do you mean?

Well, you said that the world already had a definition for conservative, and I was just wondering what that definition was. Or if it is the same one you used.

So, you are now for impeaching Sanford?

she already expressed her disgusted feeling for Sanford. She already stated that he should resign.

she already expressed her disgusted feeling for Sanford. She already stated that he should resign.

Resignation is not the same as impeachment. Please see her most recent statement of "kick the bums out." Resignation is a voluntary act.

Well, you said that the world already had a definition for conservative, and I was just wondering what that definition was. Or if it is the same one you used.

World? I just looked my previous post and it was "word." :confused:

Resignation is not the same as impeachment. Please see her most recent statement of "kick the bums out." Resignation is a voluntary act.

yep. in most cases - they resign. it's pretty obvious.

yep. in most cases - they resign. it's pretty obvious.

That doesn't answer my question. I'm curious as to whether she would support impeachment proceedings in the case that he doesn't resign.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back