Relay Opr Called Me Asshole!

Now that you've explained a bit more, it seems plausible, though unlikely and very depressing that an operator did what you stated. I need to follow up to ensure that Nordia does empower their operators to act as customer service (which isn't standard on the other U.S. relay services, I've always seen a manager called for customer service or been transferred to a full time customer service representative). But if that checks out, then I can see someone went on a power trip and figured no one was going report it and figured you didn't take down their number, so they went ahead and did something expecting you to be a passive user.

The other thing is that the relay operator apparently knew you were a competing RO for another company, yet didn't encourage you to use their service more. Heck, the more their service is used, the more money they get.

Anyway, good on you for being willing to report it to the FCC, and Nordia management, and CTAP, and even the CA AG. At least if it's official and investigated, I won't be able to say it never happened in the future. I'll admit to that, and I'll apologize for not believing you in the first place. I've got a friend who is on the board of the CA relay service as a vendor so he can let me know if it's reported.

Heath said:
I would be more concerned with breaking confidentality than with a relay operator that used bad language towards you. Here is what I think happened here that is I think you abused that relay operator with your attidute and the way you were and no, he was not wrong to snap at you if you were an asshole towards him.

Heath, there is no confidentiality involved here. On top of that, it IS WRONG for relay operators to snap and be assholes to anyone. They are there to function as a phone line, nothing more. Even if they are being abused by customers, if they can't handle that, they need to quit.

Part of my job involves managing customer service with my work and I deal with mad and upset customers. They scream, they swear, they insult my intelligence, genitals, family, friends, and job. I have never lost my cool because I know if I do I will lose my job. Everything I say and do can be recorded and shown to my bosses. I have gone to places where I basically have a bad day because all I hear are complaints, complaints, and complaints.

Well.... It is just that I find the story hard to believe because I know relay operators are professional and some people can get abused so bad and not snap and some people can get abused so bad and they snap. The smart thing
to do is to not abuse anybody in the first place then you will not have any problems wheter the person is professional or just a Regular Joe. You know what I mean?

Yeah Apathrev, Amen Brother.... I was trying to drive home the point that relay operators are very professional and it would be extremely unlikely that a relay operator would do that without a very good reason because they would not be saying that in the first place already. I noticed throughout the thread that no one seems to recongize that relay operators are people with real emotions and are alive talking thinking and doing all this for the Deaf community. I know it is easy to forget a human being is on the another end of the relay center when a Deaf person calls his/her family things like that etc. How else can I explain my point more clearly????

Relay operators are extremely professional , happy and positive and show respect. They work very hard to make sure communication is clear and smooth at all times. We need to thank relay operators at the relay center for that. Merry Christmas :)

again, I repeat: NIGERIAN SCAMMERS DO ***NOT USE STATE RELAY****. Only INTERNET-PROTOCOL relay. I know everything about nigerian scammers. I deal with the mother fuckers every day!!! The operator obviously knew i was not a nigerian scam artist. First of all, I don't sound like a nigerian. I wasn't asking to buy 10 laptops with a master card. obviously my english wasn't broken poor south-african pidgeon english that is exclusive to nigerians. And If he did suspect I was a scammer, the proper thing would be to call a supervisor so that the supervisor could take down the information, not insult me and hang up. Nigerian 419 scammers only use INTERNET RELAY because they can log on from anywherre in the world. There aren't any DOCUMENTED CASE of nigerian 419 fraud via STATE RELAY. Also, IP RELAY is free, wheras state relay is not. you have to pay for ur telephone calls when u use state relay, because to use state relay you use a land-line US telephone number.

Maybe you haven't seen an opr cuss unless the reason is 'good'. However there is no good reason to cuss at your customer, in any business. It is poor work ethic. There is no reason an opr should be swearing at a customer. BEING AN OPR MYSELF, I can say from experience that there are many relay operators who lash out at customers, break confidentiality. the only reason anyone would find the RO professional is because everything that is typed comes out of a book. it really is a FACADE.

Heath said:
I have never seen a relay operator swear without a good reason. Nobody likes being swore at , especially when it is direct and personal. For the most part, relay operators are very professional. :) :thumb:

the relay opr seems professional because everything that is typed to u is a script right out of a book. there is no good reason for an opr to swear at anyone. it's just unacceptable. i would never ever swear at a customer, even though i find myself wanting to do it every day :- :pissed:

i get insulted every day so much by deaf people, prank callers, regular hearing people etc. after hearing it/reading it enough u become desensitized to it all, if not just a litlte annoyed.

opr0000m said:
again, I repeat: NIGERIAN SCAMMERS DO ***NOT USE STATE RELAY****. Only INTERNET-PROTOCOL relay. I know everything about nigerian scammers. I deal with the mother fuckers every day!!! The operator obviously knew i was not a nigerian scam artist. First of all, I don't sound like a nigerian. I wasn't asking to buy 10 laptops with a master card. obviously my english wasn't broken poor south-african pidgeon english that is exclusive to nigerians. And If he did suspect I was a scammer, the proper thing would be to call a supervisor so that the supervisor could take down the information, not insult me and hang up. Nigerian 419 scammers only use INTERNET RELAY because they can log on from anywherre in the world. There aren't any DOCUMENTED CASE of nigerian 419 fraud via STATE RELAY. Also, IP RELAY is free, wheras state relay is not. you have to pay for ur telephone calls when u use state relay, because to use state relay you use a land-line US telephone number.

Maybe you haven't seen an opr cuss unless the reason is 'good'. However there is no good reason to cuss at your customer, in any business. It is poor work ethic. There is no reason an opr should be swearing at a customer. BEING AN OPR MYSELF, I can say from experience that there are many relay operators who lash out at customers, break confidentiality. the only reason anyone would find the RO professional is because everything that is typed comes out of a book. it really is a FACADE.

:werd:

It's great to have someone here who knows what working relay is like. I might as well sit back and let you discuss for me. :boink:

Seriously. Working for relay can be compared to being a prostitute. You get paid to use your body in a very personal way, nobody respects you, and when you get off work you can't help but feeling entirely FUCKED and EXHAUSTED... with a sharp pain in my ass from sitting all day... it's a day in the life!

I think it's really great though, to have the opportunity to learn so much about the phone company, how telephones work etc. I feel I have a good knowledge of telephony and also very good conversaitonal english skills, since I read conversational english aloud all day long. My knowledge of asl would probably be fluent, if i knew how to sign any of it. yeah.

Wow man!!! That is another reason to show relay the respect due to them. When I make my relay calls. I say " Hi Relay can you please call ..... " then when I end the call. I tell the relay operator " Thank you and Please God Bless smile sk " Over 90% to near 100% of the time they always smile and say " Thank you I really needed that. Thank you and God Bless you too sk " :thumb: with their male or female relay call number.

Something to think about. :) :ily:

Heath said:
Wow man!!! That is another reason to show relay the respect due to them. When I make my relay calls. I say " Hi Relay can you please call ..... " then when I end the call. I tell the relay operator " Thank you and Please God Bless smile sk " Over 90% to near 100% of the time they always smile and say " Thank you I really needed that. Thank you and God Bless you too sk " :thumb: with their male or female relay call number.

Something to think about. :) :ily:

Simple CRM. Most of us have a CRM script shortcut in our duration dictionaries.

I really don't think any operators are saying "Thank you I really needed that! God bless you too!" to anyone blessing them, Heath. As apathrev said, it's a script that they type when someone thanks them, and it's pretty much the same thing -- "thk you smile sksk."

Interesting dialogue on the nature of the relay agent.

Usually, when I use relay, I say thank you and please. I find that being courteous and respectful correlates with how well the relay operator works with me. Often, it's like a business transaction: you let the operator know what you want (e.g. "What does recipient's tone of voice sound like? ga" "Get live rep pls ga") and they give it to you.

I also liken it to dealing with customer service at big companies. If you're rude and inconsiderate, Customer Service for, say, Compaq or Amazon.com will just run you through the system. If you "call with a smile" you're more likely to get something done.

LMM say's "There more abbreviations then what you find on the internet sites. People find they can make calls using net RO Service." { LMM is signing all this as if she is using her TTD. but she tells me to use English words and not the abbreviations she would use!}
" People who make fake call through IRO, Are going to make it bad for true Deaf people ! It will come down to VRO/Old TTD'S! Which is fine with me! RO is our gap with the hearing world. I have lot of RO help me with hearing people over 35 years. I know it may not be easy for RO to understand me sometimes because of my English. Now with my VP. VRO have no trouble understand me. I feel more comfortable using VRO then TTD.when I have call
DR. Iuse VRO, They can see how bad I'm hurt or the pain I'm in. Relate the pain or hurt to my DR nurse. While I sign. I sign sick/vomiting. The RO can tell nurse I'm vomiting and have RO even see me vomite... Yuck! But this my life. I have lot of bad days in my life. I have a health disease that makes me sick more offen then I care for! I end up in the hospital or dr office.
I use my TTD for friends & family that don't have VP or internet. Or if my intertnet will be down. I have backups!
RO are a great help for us! When using the IRO or TTD RO Ga/SK proper way is very important tools! You don't use them when using VRO. You use a sign for it!
When I use my TTD call someone I don't know, even without using smiles or other express. I can tell what kind of mood they are in by there typing. I have read too many TTD call in my life. TTD have be a way of communication.
If I call someone I don't know They type English sentence or use English slang words. I have very hard time understand them. I tell them I call back use 711, Which is RO Service! RO have type what hearing people tell me, In way I can understand hearing person words.

Using RO service.You type the phone number you want call, Then you type who you calling! you wait for your person to answer your call. when they do start your message. RO is there to relate message only maybe to help the Deaf person with words.You are talking with person you call not the RO.
RO know they are Thank by all the Deaf Community. They have help bridge our gap for many years, Will conitune for more years to come! RO are very important in the Deaf Commuinty as will as Terp's!"

LMM

LMM said:
LMM say's "There more abbreviations then what you find on the internet sites. People find they can make calls using net RO Service." { LMM is signing all this as if she is using her TTD. but she tells me to use English words and not the abbreviations she would use!}
" People who make fake call through IRO, Are going to make it bad for true Deaf people ! It will come down to VRO/Old TTD'S! Which is fine with me! RO is our gap with the hearing world. I have lot of RO help me with hearing people over 35 years. I know it may not be easy for RO to understand me sometimes because of my English. Now with my VP. VRO have no trouble understand me. I feel more comfortable using VRO then TTD.when I have call
DR. Iuse VRO, They can see how bad I'm hurt or the pain I'm in. Relate the pain or hurt to my DR nurse. While I sign. I sign sick/vomiting. The RO can tell nurse I'm vomiting and have RO even see me vomite... Yuck! But this my life. I have lot of bad days in my life. I have a health disease that makes me sick more offen then I care for! I end up in the hospital or dr office.
I use my TTD for friends & family that don't have VP or internet. Or if my intertnet will be down. I have backups!
RO are a great help for us! When using the IRO or TTD RO Ga/SK proper way is very important tools! You don't use them when using VRO. You use a sign for it!
When I use my TTD call someone I don't know, even without using smiles or other express. I can tell what kind of mood they are in by there typing. I have read too many TTD call in my life. TTD have be a way of communication.
If I call someone I don't know They type English sentence or use English slang words. I have very hard time understand them. I tell them I call back use 711, Which is RO Service! RO have type what hearing people tell me, In way I can understand hearing person words.

Using RO service.You type the phone number you want call, Then you type who you calling! you wait for your person to answer your call. when they do start your message. RO is there to relate message only maybe to help the Deaf person with words.You are talking with person you call not the RO.
RO know they are Thank by all the Deaf Community. They have help bridge our gap for many years, Will conitune for more years to come! RO are very important in the Deaf Commuinty as will as Terp's!"

LMM

Thank you for the kind words, LMN. It is nice to have understanding people like you using our service, and its very comforting to know that you know the kind of abuse that is going in with hearing people using relay. That is 90 percent of my frustration with this job. Just recently, new procedures were put in place to reduce the chance of abuse, and I'm so much more relaxed now.

it is management's idea of a christmas present to be able to disconnect the calls which abuse the system :)

Dennis said:
I call bullshit on this story.

First off, the guy states that he called 711 for "California" relay service. To my knowledge, California does not identify which relay company you called -- they simply say "CRS OPR 1234F." So, in order to even know which relay service you called, you have to ask.

Secondly, relay operators know better than to impersonate customer service. All it takes to get the operator fired is someone recording their operator number and reporting them to customer service if they fake it. I really don't think any operator would do that, especially since TTYs have the ability to print out conversations.

Thirdly, come on, there's no way that the relay operator could have known anything about you, and for no reason start to swear and insult you. Again, all it takes is knowing their operator number and they're fired. You don't even need to contact customer service -- you just dial 711 again and ask the next operator to direct you to customer service.

Bullshit. I bet Nordia is just as professional a relay service as every other provider. I never use them as my relay service, but there's no reason to lie and make up a story like that.
I agree with you. I've never seen a relay operator swear at me. Every relay call I make, the operator identifies himself/herself with an identification number. What you should do is call them back and hope to speak with someone different... then speak with the manager. I'm sure they can find the log and do something about that person... it what you say is true.

I certainly hope you reported that. They can tell from records who answered that call when you made it.

REPORT IT

chirowife03 said:
I certainly hope you reported that. They can tell from records who answered that call when you made it.

REPORT IT

There are no records.

Back