Racial Wealth Gap...

I should check it out.

I was going to suggest Grapes of Wrath but I checked it again and since we're taking about Racial wealth gaps and Wrath is more of a class rather than racial struggle, I didn't think it would quite apply here.

For some hispanics and blacks, I would think it's both a class and racial thing though. :hmm:

Well, the same sort of concept, though. I just thought of The Jungle because it is about the immigrant population, which would apply to ethnic disparity. Grapes of Wrath however, makes the same great illustrations regarding the disadvantaged classes that could easily be applied to race and ethnicity.

Well, the same sort of concept, though. I just thought of The Jungle because it is about the immigrant population, which would apply to ethnic disparity. Grapes of Wrath however, makes the same great illustrations regarding the disadvantaged classes that could easily be applied to race and ethnicity.

Excellent point. :)

Just because Oprah Winefry is a billionare doesn't mean that others of her race aren't having problems.

"Those things" were not referring to Oprah Winfrey, billionaires, or anything much beyond the basics. See my post above about graduating from high school, not getting pregnant before marriage, marrying a stable person, and not abusing drugs or alcohol.

Those things are not racially-based in any way. Disparities in wealth and opportunity don't really enter into those basic "stay out of poverty" behaviors.

I wonder why the bolded part is?? Because they never bothered to learn how to plan their finances for purchasing their homes? Again, education/knowledge is the most important factor in those circumstances. You can argue society is preventing them from learning if you want.

I understand that some might not be fortunate enough to earn tons of money, but that just means it might take them a bit longer to save up to an appropriate amount to handle the purchase of a home. Providing a home can still be a priority and have a good sound financial plan focused on increasing one's wealth or preventing it from turning to zero.

No that is not the reason for the reaction they would have at all. Education and knowlege aren't much use without opportunity.:cool2:

Do you mind if I ask: how old are you?

"Those things" were not referring to Oprah Winfrey, billionaires, or anything much beyond the basics. See my post above about graduating from high school, not getting pregnant before marriage, marrying a stable person, and not abusing drugs or alcohol.

Those things are not racially-based in any way. Disparities in wealth and opportunity don't really enter into those basic "stay out of poverty" behaviors.

Nor do they solve the disparity issues. Those things are just another "blaming the victim" mentality.

No that is not the reason for the reaction they would have at all. Education and knowlege aren't much use without opportunity.:cool2:

I remember a black woman on a different forum saying saying she knew a lot of educated blacks who had a difficult time finding jobs they were qualifited for so they had to take jobs beneath them like being baggers when she grew up in the 50s,

Not the age question. Next thing you're going to say is I'm too young, inexperienced, or haven't earned the wisdom, blah blah.

Education/knowledge allows people to recognize opportunities when they arise. Lack of education/knowledge means they would probably miss out on tons of opportunities.

Around where I live, many Hispanic families like to buy homes large enough to house three generations, and/or extended families, so they tend to have larger homes and larger mortgages in relationship to their income than do white families who are looking to house only one or two generations, and only the nuclear family.
Don't the large extended Hispanic families also have more than one wage earner in the household? That's what I've observed here.

Quite often, yes. And so long as they all keep their jobs, it takes a lot of pressure off any one person having to carry it all.

In today's job market, of course that isn't always easy.

It takes decades to correct an inequity that has been in existence for centuries.
It's also possible that it's not the solution no matter how long it continues.

...Education/knowledge allows people to recognize opportunities when they arise. Lack of education/knowledge means they would probably miss out on tons of opportunities.
Good point. What use are opportunities if one isn't prepared to take advantage of them?

There is still a huge inequity that punishes those who are not in skilled professions.

Society has a way of saying, "Look! This is what you need to be successful" and then devising ways to keep the minority population and the poor population from having the opportunities necessary to achieve that which they are told they must have.
Are you saying that society is actively "devising ways to keep the minority population and the poor population from having the opportunities?"

First of all, wouldn't that be illegal?

Secondly, what would be the reasoning behind that?

Lastly, who makes up this "society" to which you refer?

I get paid for teaching a class. What you are asking for is extensive information that would take weeks to cover in depth. Conflict theory explains it nicely.
So you're not going to share your insights even in a broad outline unless we pay you?

So much for trying to bridge the gap.

It's not the responsibility of people of color to educate white people about racism. Each person must examine his/her own privilege and deal with it. It's hard to do.

I remember a black woman on a different forum saying saying she knew a lot of educated blacks who had a difficult time finding jobs they were qualifited for so they had to take jobs beneath them like being baggers when she grew up in the 50s,

It still happens today.

Good point. What use are opportunities if one isn't prepared to take advantage of them?

Even the ones that are prepared do not have the opportunity.:roll: And then there are those that have not had the opportunity to even become prepared because they are constantly fighting their way out of the hole that such disaparity has placed them in.

Not the age question. Next thing you're going to say is I'm too young, inexperienced, or haven't earned the wisdom, blah blah.

Education/knowledge allows people to recognize opportunities when they arise. Lack of education/knowledge means they would probably miss out on tons of opportunities.

So...it looks like you've heard that before.:giggle: Any reason why you haven't paid attention to it?

Don't the large extended Hispanic families also have more than one wage earner in the household? That's what I've observed here.

And the point would be? Most families, even those that are upper to middle income, have more than one wage earner in the household. And, they have increased opportunity and the disparity issue in their favor, too.

So...it looks like you've heard that before.:giggle: Any reason why you haven't paid attention to it?

No, isn't it so obvious? You were going to try to use my age against my perspective. Otherwise you wouldn't have asked. Weak..

Back