Racial Wealth Gap...

I invest now, even though I am relatively young. I can see how someone who is privileged would say "Now that's one smart woman who knows how to save money and plan for her future."

However, I came out of college debt free and got a good job. I was able to start saving right out of college. I consider myself fortunate because my parents were able to help me out financially. Even though I worked while I was in grad school and paid for my own tuition (for grad school) and living necessities, I did not have to worry about paying for my undergrad school (although most of it was paid by scholarship), my car, nor my car's insurance. I knew if anything went bad or I got into debt, my parents will be there for me to help me out. I'm very lucky to have them.

Can you honestly tell me that for someone who comes from a poor background but makes the same income as me can even invest? I just googled and picked a random stock, you need to have AT LEAST $2,500 to buy the stock. When you are up to here with college loans, living expenses, car expenses and so on, why are you going to buy risky stocks? Even if you paid off your loans, why would you invest in stocks rather than a house?

People who have money ALREADY do not think about those things. They assume that when people are living off by paycheck, they must not know how to save.

By the way, one of my cousins and her husband (who is an accountant) often travels, goes to VIP baseball games, bought a Hummer, bought a nice house in a good area, and so on. The pretty picture says that they are doing well and they work hard and know how to save. We found out recently that they are in hundreds of thousand dollars in debt (most of it is in interest). But guess what? The husband's well off parents are there for them to bail them out. Even the well off people who do NOT know how to invest wisely still are doing fine because of the previous generation bailing them out.

Fact:

Successful millionaires are at least a million dollars in debt.

Successful billionaires are at least a billion dollars in debt.

Anyone can become a multibillionaire if they can muster up a few billion to build a condominium in the middle of Las Vegas. Credit rating is everything.

I think the drop of the salaries are caused by major lay offs and businesses closed down so average goes down, not up.

Fact:

Anyone can become a multibillionaire if they can muster up a few billion to build a condominium in the middle of Las Vegas. Credit rating is everything.

Where did you get these "facts?"

Have you ever read "The Millionaire Next Door?" [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Millionaire-Next-Door-Thomas-Stanley/dp/0671015206]Amazon.com: The Millionaire Next Door (9780671015206): Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko: Books[/ame]

An excellent book and very interesting reading. Most millionaires (meaning someone with a million dollars in net worth, NOT a million-dollar income), live fairly modestly, drive everyday cars like Camrys, and do not have an ostentatious lifestyle at all.

From the review: "Focusing on those with a net worth of at least $1 million, their surprising results reveal fundamental qualities of this group that are diametrically opposed to today's earn-and-consume culture, including living below their means, allocating funds efficiently in ways that build wealth, ignoring conspicuous consumption, being proficient in targeting marketing opportunities, and choosing the "right" occupation. "

(Bolding is mine.)

Fact:

Huh? You can't be a millionaire if you already have a million dollar debt. To be a millionaire requires that your net worth is at least 1 million (stocks, estates). If you're in a million dollars debt, you aren't a milllionair, you're broke!

From the review: "Focusing on those with a net worth of at least $1 million, their surprising results reveal fundamental qualities of this group that are diametrically opposed to today's earn-and-consume culture, including living below their means, allocating funds efficiently in ways that build wealth, ignoring conspicuous consumption, being proficient in targeting marketing opportunities, and choosing the "right" occupation. "

(Bolding is mine.)

in other words, they are Very tight too, actually tighter than normal people due to they have already in practise of avoiding (extra) costs. They dont buy CHEAP clothes because it will wear out too quickly, or too cold to get sick, or buy the cheapest fatty foods for reason of health, health is a way to riches too...

just tightasses

Fact:

Donald Trump anyone?

Have you ever read "The Millionaire Next Door?" Amazon.com: The Millionaire Next Door (9780671015206): Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko: Books

An excellent book and very interesting reading. Most millionaires (meaning someone with a million dollars in net worth, NOT a million-dollar income), live fairly modestly, drive everyday cars like Camrys, and do not have an ostentatious lifestyle at all.

(Bolding is mine.)

That book is so flawed it is a joke.

The very idea of defining a person as a "millionaire" who has non liquid assets of a million dollars on paper is ludicrous to begin with.

I'm a fork lift driver for crying out loud, whose income is defined as "below poverty level" by the U.S. government -- YET by the definition of this book I was a "millionaire" for ten years before the property bust.

Why? How? Because I owned a house that rose from $40,000 to $350,000.

Now it is only worth $120,000.

Poor me. Anybody wanna help me cry over my lost fortune?

Huh? You can't be a millionaire if you already have a million dollar debt. To be a millionaire requires that your net worth is at least 1 million (stocks, estates). If you're in a million dollars debt, you aren't a milllionair, you're broke!

You have to be a millionaire more than once to be allowed to go a million dollars in debt.

Nobody loans you money they know you can't pay back.

in other words, they are Very tight too, actually tighter than normal people due to they have already in practise of avoiding (extra) costs. They dont buy CHEAP clothes because it will wear out too quickly, or too cold to get sick, or buy the cheapest fatty foods for reason of health, health is a way to riches too...

just tightasses

Tightasses?

They can't afford any better.

Why?

Having a non liquid asset is like the old joke about the difference between theory and reality.

Kid asked his dad to tell him the difference between what is theoretical and what is reality.

Dad tells the kid to ask his mother and his sister if either one would sleep with a man for a million dollars.

Kid comes back and tells dad, "They both said they would."

Dad said, "You see kid theoretically we are sitting on a two million dollar gold mine, but in truth we are just living with a couple of Ho's."

Asking for a solution is fair.

Listing the inequities would be time consuming, tedious, and probably useless.

Attempting to solve each inequity would mire you down in a never ending process that those who want to keep the poor in their place would approve of.

With a bow to StSaphire let us shave the problem with Occam's razor.

Society consists of five basic groups:

Worker ants. I don't care if you are the janitor or the president of the company. You are just a worker ant. What ever you make, little or lot, it is fed to you by an employer.

------ This is what society and schools encourage you to become. Then the carrot is held just out of reach of most.

Professionals: Doctor, lawyer, roofer, plumber, interpreter. This had better be something you enjoy because it will become your life. It is more demanding than a marriage.

----- Society does its best to shut the best of these out of reach of the poorer people. Making the demands for investment of time and effort insanely high. A poor person can become a doctor -- But it requires the tenacity of an enraged pit bull.

Small business owners. Entrepreneurs on a small scale. They are not looking for vast wealth, they are looking for a living. With the advent of franchises it is becoming harder and harder to find a niche business you can be successful in. But it can be done. Also you had better enjoy what you are doing or you will grow to hate the demands.

-----Old time Republicans believed in the small business owner as the backbone of middle class America. Now days Republicans seem only interested in BIG business.

Sales Person. This one is gold! And in it lies the solution. Anyone can learn to sell. It requires NO education. It requires NO specialized knowledge. A good sales person can make as much as their audacity desires. More sales people become self made millionaires than any other group.

----Testimonial. Every time life has tried to bury me in a ditch I have kick started it by finding a product, a customer, and putting them together. When I traveled around with no steady job I did so by selling to businesses town to town.

Entrepreneur: These people don't own stock in a business. People own stock in their businesses. You can become one if you want to -- And it doesn't matter how poor you start out or what your race, creed, or color are -- But remember it takes dedication. Not the best choice for someone who wants to spend a lot of time picnicking with the spouse and kiddies.

------Best way to start is to master the art of selling until you are in a position where you can sell people into investing in your company, gold mine, business project, whatever.

There is one small problem with this solution. Those who make it to the top of the heap tend to perpetrate the very injustices they themselves encountered.

Why?

Greed!

Now they are up there they want to keep everyone else below them. Which is the attitude that caused the whole problem to begin with.

Wonderful job of summation.

Have you ever read "The Millionaire Next Door?" Amazon.com: The Millionaire Next Door (9780671015206): Thomas J. Stanley, William D. Danko: Books

(Bolding is mine.)

Oh, yeah. Those born into poverty have the opportunity to become the millionaire next door all the time. They just want to stay poor because it is easier.:roll:

Back